Movies are dumbing down science, along with everything else

Status
Not open for further replies.

swokm

Ars Tribunus Militum
So... are you saying Armageddon is double penetration for my brain? That explains a LOT. I can't believe anyone would sit through that movie. My first walk out. I think I threw up a little in my mouth at about the 20th slow-mo flag-wave.<br><br>War Games. Heh. I don't know how practical it was, but it puts me right back into 1982. Uncanny.<br><br>Destination Moon? Of course it was accurate, Heinlein himself consulted. -- View image here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif --<br><br>But I'm gonna have to go with Battlefield Earth. You know, since it is REALLY REAL and stuff. BTW, I have some pamphlets I'd like to show you...<br><br> -- View image here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif -- <br><br>Man. Where are the Heinleins today and why aren't they making movies?

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Twelve

Subscriptor
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Janne:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Superman... </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Um, instead of that, how about "progress of time is not tied to the rotation of Earth"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>He flies fast enough to go back in time. The direction of rotation reverses when the flow of time reverses. The direction that he flies doesn't matter; just the speed.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Fluppeteer

Ars Scholae Palatinae
Subscriptor
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Twelve:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Janne:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Superman... </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Um, instead of that, how about "progress of time is not tied to the rotation of Earth"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>He flies fast enough to go back in time. The direction of rotation reverses when the flow of time reverses. The direction that he flies doesn't matter; just the speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>*Oh*. That makes much more sense. I'd always assumed that the scene was trying to say that he'd reversed time by spinning the Earth backwards, rather than travelling back through it (which is, I guess, the same thing as reversing time). It actually almost makes sense when the whole backwards spinning business is supposed to indicate time travel rather than physically spinning the Earth. I feel stupid now.<BR><BR>Re. visible lasers and ionisation:<BR>http://www.pinktentacle.com/2006/02/aist-develops-3d-image-projector/<BR>(But the "spray some mist in order to see the laser whilst hoping it doesn't get set off by the partial blockage" approach is much more physical.)<BR><BR>I've always been of the opinion that script writers must have been arts students all the way through their education, and resolutely know nothing about science. The computer representation is getting very slightly better now that some script writers have actually used one to word process the script, and the magical abilities of X-rays and electricity have stopped appearing since the public started to understand them, but there's a long way to go before enough people understand weightlessness for the script writers to feel obliged to stick to reality.<BR><BR>Still, it would help if the writers would understand that at least some of the audience *didn't* flunk science at school, and they could at least get a bright ten year old to point out the obvious holes in their script. As has been said, it would be really cheap to get some students during a break to run through the script - for an early look at a plot, I'm sure many would do it for free (or at least, free tickets). The bright ones might be able to point out a plot-friendly way of obeying Newton.<BR><BR>The more tech-savvy the world gets, the more chance there is that the big guys in the film industry will notice that a lot of the audience is being distracted by stupidity. Surely ILM et al. must be full of people with some tech savvy - maybe they could be persuaded to overrule their artistic director occasionally?

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)
And I accuse CSI of creating a lot of misunderstanding and tension between the public and real world forensic work. The ease and speed that forensic tests seem to be done on CSI, apparently everything can be done in a couple of minutes or hours, is opposed to what happens in even the wealthiest forensic labs around the world.<BR><BR>So when in real world the police only gets the results in days or weeks everyone thinks "Lazy and stupid guys! Why aren't they doing like CSI?".

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Bicentennial Douche

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fluppeteer:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Twelve:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Janne:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Superman... </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Um, instead of that, how about "progress of time is not tied to the rotation of Earth"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>He flies fast enough to go back in time. The direction of rotation reverses when the flow of time reverses. The direction that he flies doesn't matter; just the speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>*Oh*. That makes much more sense. I'd always assumed that the scene was trying to say that he'd reversed time by spinning the Earth backwards, rather than travelling back through it (which is, I guess, the same thing as reversing time). </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>Same thing here. The actual scene is quite confusing and I always thought that he was attempting to reverse the rotation of Earth, and therefore reverse the flow of time. And that wouldn't make any sense, even in Superman-universe.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

ronelson

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lasers producing visible beams of light. This would include just about any movie with a laser that's not used to play with a cat. Yes, they can reflect off dust particles, but in most cases, the dust would have to be too thick to actually see anything else in the room. And there's not much dust in most areas of space. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Lasers don't produce visible light, but you may be able to see an after-image in your retina. Chances are you won't see green for good guys and red for bad guys, though! Hell, in some movies the laser colors change depending on who's holding the gun.<BR><BR>Rob Nelson<BR>rnelson0@gmail.com

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Dr. Jay

Editor of Sciency Things
Ars Staff
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by willyolio:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnseeking:<BR>I loved Red Planet, but one line makes it almost unwatchable for me... Tom Sizemore's character (the planet's foremost geneticist) cites the four bases in DNA: "A... T... G... P..."<BR><BR>Arrrrgh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>is that the same movie where a character looks at a sequence of about 6 base pairs and says "that DNA looks human...?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>oh, don't tell me i mixed up Mission to Mars and Red Planet. They were both so bad, i tried to blot their memories from my mind. I didn't expect that would ever pose a problem...

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Hagge

Ars Scholae Palatinae
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bag:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zorneatsham:<BR>Aren't there copyrights involved with using existing (commercial) OSes in movies? That wouldn't stop filmmakers from using some tasty shots of a character using a Gnome or KDE desktop, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>I recently saw Breach, and I believe they were using Windows 98. (That would be period correct IIRC) </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>One of the very few that does computers nicely is the series Veronica Mars, she uses Mac's and most of the time the software she uses is real software like iPhoto and Photoshop etc. In one episode two geeks even have a real argument about Ubuntu vs Mac OS X that made sense!

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by willyolio:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnseeking:<BR>I loved Red Planet, but one line makes it almost unwatchable for me... Tom Sizemore's character (the planet's foremost geneticist) cites the four bases in DNA: "A... T... G... P..."<BR><BR>Arrrrgh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>is that the same movie where a character looks at a sequence of about 6 base pairs and says "that DNA looks human...?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>No, that one's from Mission to Mars. I'm glad to discover that quote was as painful to someone else as it was to me.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

MrNSX

Ars Tribunus Militum
<blockquote class="ip-ubbcode-quote">
<div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div>
<div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dianne Hackborn:<br>Pretty much any time at all a movie (or TV show) does something involving computers. For example, the one you see all the time: zooming in to an image and then magically sharpening it. Argh!!! </div>
</blockquote>
<br><br>Agreed. My favorite was from Jurassic Park as the girl goes flying through a 3D environment:<br><br>"I know this -- it's UNIX!" -- View image here: https://cdn.arstechnica.net/forum/smilies/biggrin.gif --

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)
D

Deleted member 1

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Twelve:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Janne:<BR><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Superman... </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Um, instead of that, how about "progress of time is not tied to the rotation of Earth"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>He flies fast enough to go back in time. The direction of rotation reverses when the flow of time reverses. The direction that he flies doesn't matter; just the speed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>Agreed. I saw the movie in the theatre when it originally came out, was about 12 at the time. I knew enough about science to know he couldn't just make the Earth spin backwards, what we were seeing was him reversing time by his speed. Now, there are other problems with the scenario, but you can explain them with some super-hero techno-babble. <BR>1. He would pretty much have to meet or exceed the speed of light.<BR>2. Orbiting a planet at the speed of light would be really hard, but this is a guy who seems to be able to negate his own mass and float, so we will cut him some slack...<BR><BR>To me, whoever wrote that scene got it as close to right as they could, whether it was intentionally right is another matter.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Bicentennial Douche

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor
<div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrNSX:<br><blockquote class="ip-ubbcode-quote">
<div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dianne Hackborn:<br>Pretty much any time at all a movie (or TV show) does something involving computers. For example, the one you see all the time: zooming in to an image and then magically sharpening it. Argh!!! </div>
</blockquote>
<br><br>Agreed. My favorite was from Jurassic Park as the girl goes flying through a 3D environment:<br><br>"I know this -- it's UNIX!" -- View image here: https://cdn.arstechnica.net/forum/smilies/biggrin.gif -- </div>
</blockquote>
<br><br>Actually, the filemanager she was using did actually exist, and it did run on IRIX (the OS she was using in the movie)... That said, what I can't understand is why they had to kill the power from the master-switch (located at the opposite side of the complex), instead of just walking over to the relevant computers and restarting them from the powerswitch....

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Eraserhead

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor++
<div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zorneatsham:<br>Aren't there copyrights involved with using existing (commercial) OSes in movies? That wouldn't stop filmmakers from using some tasty shots of a character using a Gnome or KDE desktop, right? </div>
</blockquote>
<br><br>They use OS X/Windows all the time, though only if Apple/MS/Dell are paying them for the product placement -- View image here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif --.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Sweet Carob Jones

Smack-Fu Master, in training
- People flying back after being shot.<BR><BR>- infinate ammo clips, and guns that don't overheat or jam<BR><BR>- using assault rifles, shotguns, etc. one-handed, and not having to deal with recoil<BR><BR>- Guys getting kicked in the nuts and getting on thir feet instantly (last time I got hit in the nads was as a kid, by a football, and I was down for 5 minutes, feeling like my intestines were being pulled through my belly button. I couldn't straighten my body out AT ALL)<BR><BR>- cars jumping insane distances, and landing without the tires popping or the frame breaking/buckling<BR><BR>- guys falling off buildings, catching themselves on a ledge, guy wire or support, and not dislocating their arms.<BR><BR>- EVERTHING that has to do with a knife or sword making that overused "shwing" noise when they move through air or are touched or handled in any way.<BR><BR>- Same goes for guns that constantly clack and rattle as they are handled, sounding like a bag of bolts.<BR><BR>Villains being poked in the eye by a long object (which would've hit the brain), and surviving to do more evil deeds.<BR><BR>Can't think of any more right now... but you know we could write a novel about this crap.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

icrf

Ars Tribunus Militum
Subscriptor++
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anything that makes a noise in a vacuum. Which covers just about every movie set in space aside from 2001. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>For a more modern example, didn't Serenity do pretty well? I always noticed that in Firefly.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Paul Hill

Ars Legatus Legionis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gsb445:<BR>Criticizing Star Trek is off base. We all know that in the future, all physical laws can be circumvented by reconfiguring the deflector array to emit a tachyon pulse, or by generating the appropriate Tetrion field. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>I saw a little bit of Nemesis whilst changing channels, and the Enterprise was in a big fight with the Romulan Warbirds, getting blasted by phasers and those antimatter torpedoe thingies and basically just shrugging it off, when a bit of Warbird wing got chopped off, hit the Enterprise, and did a <I>shitload</I> of damage. I was thinking "WTF? So why not just throw waste crap at the Enterprise rather than bothering with antimatter bombs?"<BR><BR>Anyways, physics fans, go and rent/buy <I>Primer</I>. It'll make you feel better.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Jim Salter

Ars Legatus Legionis
Subscriptor++
Any distance from a superheated object, no matter how slight, is sufficient to keep any movie character from harm.<BR><BR>Hobbits in the Lord of the Rings can chill out on top of a 10 foot boulder in the middle of half a mile of lava, and they barely break a sweat.<BR><BR>Every character in every action movie anywhere can run from an expanding fireball, no matter how powerful the incendiary causing it, and as long as the fireball doesn't <I>quite</I> touch them they won't even get a singe.<BR><BR>Hate hate hate hate HAAAAAAATE just because this one is in pretty much every movie EVER. Just ONCE I'd like to see the goddamn hero running from a fireball and ignite from the heat when the thing is still ten feet back... or, you know, not be ABLE to outrun a fireball... or not walk around ABOVE thousands of tons of molten rock with nothing worse than a hot breeze to contend with...

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Interactive Civilian

Ars Praefectus
Subscriptor
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rostov:<BR>I vaguely remember the big dogfight scene in Top Gun where Tom Cruise says something like "I have them on radar. 200 miles out. I'll be there in 30 seconds." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>[EDIT]Whoops...nevermind. Though I do believe the quote included something about being supersonic.<BR><BR>"I have them on radar. 200 miles out. Maverick is supersonic, I'll be there in 30 seconds).<BR><BR>Now, just out of curiosity, assuming that the dogfight was moving in that direction at pretty good speed (as was indicated in the radar room on the Aircraft carrier), how long would it take to cover 200 miles?

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)
My personnal favorite is Chain Reaction.<BR><BR>Although an excellent thriller, the whole "electrolyzing water to obtain hydrogen thus producing more energy than we expend" just makes me sick. I mean WTF are they smoking?<BR><BR>And a watertank full of hydrogen (and bubbling water...) exploding with the force of a tactical nuke is also quite funny.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Fulgan

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
Subscriptor
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vishnu:<BR>sufficiently high powered lasers at the right frequency used in the atmosphere could conceivably superheat the air it passes through, which would then radiate light. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>Err... yes, but they would be quite useless and actually more dangerous to the emitter than to the target. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser#Popular_misconceptions

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

wjousts

Ars Tribunus Militum
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><BR>Hate hate hate hate HAAAAAAATE just because this one is in pretty much every movie EVER. Just ONCE I'd like to see the goddamn hero running from a fireball and ignite from the heat when the thing is still ten feet back... or, you know, not be ABLE to outrun a fireball... or not walk around ABOVE thousands of tons of molten rock with nothing worse than a hot breeze to contend with... </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>Which reminds me of all the movies where people dodge a laser shot which is, of course, traveling at the speed of light. Yet <I>somehow</I>, they see it coming. Same for ducking after hearing a gunshot

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Fulgan

Subscriptor
The worse offender I remember was actually a french comic called "Yoko Tsuno". Here is a translation of a dialog I found hilarious when I read it... when I was 13 year old:<BR><BR>"You can't go faster than light: any object going faster would leave it's energy behind it and disintegrate!"<BR>"That's true, except if you travel in a medium where light doesn't exists. That's why the station traveled slowly through space in between our two system and weaved a tube of opaque waves that prevents the light from entering"<BR>"Aha!"

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Jbravodude

Smack-Fu Master, in training
The article is fine, except for some of the examples given of where Hollywood messes up. The minute you try and use a movie that involves comic book characters, you've already screwed up. Since Green Goblin is a fictional character who's abilities are undocumented and uncharted, its a little difficult to say what he could or could not be capable of. The same applies to any other comic book character, where you're dealing with something they directly are influencing that involves their own unique abilities/powers. Of course, the example of Superman is a good one since it has nothing to do with his abilities and really is just about the fact that Earth's rotation has no effect on the passage of time (either forward or backward). There have been numerous other examples listed here in the forum that would have been much better. So I think they could have done a better job of supporting their case, even though I think anyone with half a brain would already know this stuff.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Fulgan

Subscriptor
How about "The rock":<BR><BR>Heroes are trapped in a sewer. bad guys drop an incendiary bomb inside. The heroes dive under the sewer water, which protects them from the blast wave. After a few seconds, they emerge and take a deep, recovering breath.<BR><BR>In practice, they would have been killed even more surely underwater by the blast wave. Even if they somehow survived, there wouldn't have been any oxygen left in the sewer for them to live on.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Paul Hill

Ars Legatus Legionis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mebeSajid:<BR>I think the movie "Evolution", from a few years back, has the most absurd physics ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>With the Selenium poision that the PHYSICS PROFESSER needed to "chess move" from NITROGEN to find? that's poisonus because it's the same "distance" that Arsnic is from carbon-based life forms so they were pouring Head and Sholders into a fire truck because it "contained Selenium"? I don't even know where to begin on that one. It's making my teeth grind just thinking about it.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)

Fulgan

Subscriptor
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jbravodude:<BR>Of course, the example of Superman is a good one since it has nothing to do with his abilities and really is just about the fact that Earth's rotation has no effect on the passage of time (either forward or backward). </div></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><BR>Ok, so, how about: if Superman can fly that fast in the first place, why would he NEED to reverse the flow of time since, basically, this was an evil scheme to force him to chose between saving his girl or preventing a nuclear missile to hit a city ? I mean: he could easily have done both thing at the same time and still have plenty of time for a coffee break in Milan.

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)
Status
Not open for further replies.