mr_chun

Pocket Modster
★ MOD
Dec 29, 2004
Kanto
Not in the plans currently, I think the boards serve a good purpose it's just a matter of making that purpose valuable to as many of our users as possible.
Thanks for taking the time to reach out and talk to the boards. Several others have addressed this in the thread, but I just feel compelled to reiterate.

Our user base has been in steady decline for about ten years. The main reason for this is that almost no new traffic is being funneled to the boards from IGN proper. It's long been a joke that every new user since 2009 is just an alt of an old user, and that joke is very much grounded in reality.

Somewhere along the way, it was decided that social media was the future, and that the boards weren't included. There was a period of a couple of years where the boards couldn't even be reached from the main site. It kinda felt like we were being left to wither away.

I've always argued that the Boards serve a different purpose from social media and comment sections, and that they can be valuable to many. We used to be the second largest forum on the Internet. Other forums have flourished during our decline, with Reddit being the obvious home run.

I would love to see the Boards more visible on the main site, so that we have a chance to grow again. Cause it ain't happening on its own.

cobane

walleyed christ
Jan 25, 2002
Gary Sinise's makeup drawer.
Personally, I would recommend not bringing politics into the conversation unless it's directly referenced or relevant because 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the content on our site and distracts from the conversation.

It's easy to forget that this is a message board for IGN! Our metrics indicate that less than 1% of users actually visit IGN on purpose. A brief look at the variety of topics on this forum shows that we've been wasting bandwidth. We want to encourage posters to visit IGN.com and check out all the great news articles, previews, and reviews for the latest games, then come back here and discuss them! So, from now on, only topics about IGN articles are permitted.

D

deleted-97196783

Original poster
We don't want to become ResetEra. I think it is fine as is. If someone doesn't directly violate stated ToS, there's nothing you can do about it. Even if the implication or insinuation of their sentiment is obvious.
Just so you know, I have been appointed the Vesti Supreme Court Justice, so any changes to the ToS require my final approval before they legally come into force.

Please submit the nominal fee and forward any proposals to my PM inbox. Thank you and I hope you like it here!
Well, can you give us some examples?
For now I will say on the trolling part of it that it should be stricter for that. I did have other things on my mind but I tend to forget about it. I wish I wrote it down.
you guys should visit VT more

fogueteiro

VOA MEU FOGUETÃO 🚀
Jun 16, 2020
SP Desafio
Hello there, I have a couple of questions:

1 - What do you think about "Vale Tudo" and the brazilian users?
2 - What is the hyerarchy between you and the mods? Can a mod ban you? Can you ban a mod?
3 - Do you plan on learning Vale Tudo's culture? If so, i think it would be better for you to contact Dalton Milkvicz de Camargo, a former programmer and creator of JavaBB, wich was used to manage Vale Tudo's former forum. It was one of the most safe, stable and easy to maintain platforms that ever existed. If you have any trouble understanding our board or any questions about coding, you should get in contact with him.
4 - Now for the big question, are you a cat or a dog person?

Jul 21, 2018
Inner Orion Spur
ooooh, I have a few friends and former co-workers in Poland, so they were teaching me a few things before I left that job. I'm waiting on the day I get to visit because I hear it's a great place to have a drink or twenty. Outside of that I know a few things here and there, I was in charge of a team we sent to Pyrkon a few years back to get coverage and they looked like they had fun, just sad it didn't work out for my travel schedule so I didn't get to enjoy it in person.
Oh, nice. One of my ex-girlfriends worked in the organising team several times, plus the company I used to work for had its own booth there and I was invited to be in it. I actually live in the city where it's organised so I try to attend every year. It's great fun, probably the only convention on that scale that happens annually in this country. I always envied people in the US that you guys have so many cons that you can go to so this is probably the closest thing I'm gonna get out here, lol.

Sep 14, 2010
Texas
hello @Jadarina ..... do you suck NUTS?! and if not, please explain why you don't. I need to make sure you dont get the suck nut of the week award, @ColonDee wouldn't want that. Also, does jet fuel melt steel beams?

thats all my questions.

Jadarina

IGN Administrator
★ STAFF
Jun 9, 2021
As a swede this post offends me deeply. But as a board user I am afraid to speak out against the new boss. [face_worried]

You're right I should have stated that Mjollnir is the hammer of the Thundergod often referred to as Thor's hammer in Norse mythology but those who aren't aware of its Norse roots might recognize it from Marvel's rendition of Thor and his hammer in the comics.

Thank you for being polite about mentioning my oversight on the correct origin of Mjollnir. Never be afraid to respond to my mistakes in a respectful manner, I am human like anyone else and can overlook things like this when my hands move faster than my brain during responses haha.

SilverEye

Dum-di-do
Jun 10, 2009
You're right I should have stated that Mjollnir is the hammer of the Thundergod often referred to as Thor's hammer in Norse mythology but those who aren't aware of its Norse roots might recognize it from Marvel's rendition of Thor and his hammer in the comics.

Thank you for being polite about mentioning my oversight on the correct origin of Mjollnir. Never be afraid to respond to my mistakes in a respectful manner, I am human like anyone else and can overlook things like this when my hands move faster than my brain during responses haha.

[face_hugs]

Thabass

G.O.A.T
Jun 22, 2001
As a former IGN.com Moderator, good luck. The boards are an interesting place and I've been here for well over (oh my god it's been...) 20 years. I've seen this place flourish and seen it at its most desperate.

This is at it's most desperate. Looking forward to see the upcoming changes.

The best advice I can give you and all of the higher ups at IGN: listen to the community. If you don't, you'll just be like everyone before you. And some of those people before you are some of my good friends.

Here's hoping to a better IGN boards. :)

atomic_chitty

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 21, 2021
... There was a period of a couple of years where the boards couldn't even be reached from the main site. ...
that just mirrors the lack of a path to ign.com from the boards. i'm talking about the main page and not the wiki and deal links at the bottom.

atomic_chitty

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 21, 2021
just read a three recent articles on ign . at the end of each article i was prompted to rate it as either informative or not. i didn't find any of the articles informative however i did find two of them entertaining and consequently worthwhile reading.

i felt that answering "no" each time was unduly negative in consideration of the entertainment value notwithstanding its personal accuracy.

Jadarina

IGN Administrator
★ STAFF
Jun 9, 2021
As a former IGN.com Moderator, good luck. The boards are an interesting place and I've been here for well over (oh my god it's been...) 20 years. I've seen this place flourish and seen it at its most desperate.

This is at it's most desperate. Looking forward to see the upcoming changes.

The best advice I can give you and all of the higher ups at IGN: listen to the community. If you don't, you'll just be like everyone before you. And some of those people before you are some of my good friends.

Here's hoping to a better IGN boards. :)

Thank you for the warm welcome, and I appreciate your feedback/suggestions, I 100% intend to listen to our community. I look forward to putting all of our heads together and figuring out how we can grow the boards and make them better for the long time users like you, but also attract newcomers and make the experience a fun one regardless of experience level.

Jadarina

IGN Administrator
★ STAFF
Jun 9, 2021
that just mirrors the lack of a path to ign.com from the boards. i'm talking about the main page and not the wiki and deal links at the bottom.

That's a good callout, I will talk with our product team about that as we move forward with plans for the site, boards, and the app.

Jadarina

IGN Administrator
★ STAFF
Jun 9, 2021
just read a three recent articles on ign . at the end of each article i was prompted to rate it as either informative or not. i didn't find any of the articles informative however i did find two of them entertaining and consequently worthwhile reading.

i felt that answering "no" each time was unduly negative in consideration of the entertainment value notwithstanding its personal accuracy.

Understandable might be worth us looking into rewording, but also at the same time I personally define something as informative if I gained any bit of information out of it that I found interesting or if I learned something new.

It may be tougher for the hardcore fans that know nearly as much as us about their favorite things, but I know that we can't cater specifically to the hardcore otherwise we might alienate the average or casual fan that comes to our site. It's really tough to hit all the audiences and most of the time it's nearly impossible just due to the fact that everyone comes to our site with a different background or history for all the things that we cover.

Again I appreciate the feedback. [face_cheer]

Jadarina

IGN Administrator
★ STAFF
Jun 9, 2021
Hello there, I have a couple of questions:

1 - What do you think about "Vale Tudo" and the brazilian users?
2 - What is the hyerarchy between you and the mods? Can a mod ban you? Can you ban a mod?
3 - Do you plan on learning Vale Tudo's culture? If so, i think it would be better for you to contact Dalton Milkvicz de Camargo, a former programmer and creator of JavaBB, wich was used to manage Vale Tudo's former forum. It was one of the most safe, stable and easy to maintain platforms that ever existed. If you have any trouble understanding our board or any questions about coding, you should get in contact with him.
4 - Now for the big question, are you a cat or a dog person?

Thought I responded to this one last week but maybe it got stuck in draft mode either way here are my answers.

1) The Vale Tudo and our Brazilian users are just as much a part of our ecosystem as the Vesti and the other boards, they just have their own unique brand and I will be looking into ways to work with them.
2) I reign supreme above all the mods, however a Queen is nothing without her advisors and council of Dukes, Bishops, Rooks, Knights and so on. I wouldn't be able to do this alone so they are just as important as me, and should be treated with equal respect from all users. In theory they probably could ban me but our staff team would just remove that, and yes I could in theory as well ban a mod but I'd rather have discussions with them to figure out what happened first.
3) I 100% to learn more about the VT culture, appreciate the recommendation on Dalton, when my initial thoughts are ready and I have the proper time to devote to the VT I definitely will.
4) I like both but I currently only have a kitten his name is Atreus!

Jadarina

IGN Administrator
★ STAFF
Jun 9, 2021
@Jadarina what are your thoughts on pancakes

Pancakes are great, I used to work in childcare while in college and working freelance jobs and it's the go-to introduction to your cooking food if you want to win a child over with trying new foods. Personally, I tend to lean more towards French Toast for breakfast but I have a few places I order from that have red velvet pancakes and those are amazing!

fogueteiro

VOA MEU FOGUETÃO 🚀
Jun 16, 2020
SP Desafio
Thought I responded to this one last week but maybe it got stuck in draft mode either way here are my answers.

1) The Vale Tudo and our Brazilian users are just as much a part of our ecosystem as the Vesti and the other boards, they just have their own unique brand and I will be looking into ways to work with them.
2) I reign supreme above all the mods, however a Queen is nothing without her advisors and council of Dukes, Bishops, Rooks, Knights and so on. I wouldn't be able to do this alone so they are just as important as me, and should be treated with equal respect from all users. In theory they probably could ban me but our staff team would just remove that, and yes I could in theory as well ban a mod but I'd rather have discussions with them to figure out what happened first.
3) I 100% to learn more about the VT culture, appreciate the recommendation on Dalton, when my initial thoughts are ready and I have the proper time to devote to the VT I definitely will.
4) I like both but I currently only have a kitten his name is Atreus!
Thank you for the answers!

Looking forward to see any pics of your kitten if possible! [int_gamado]

Jadarina

IGN Administrator
★ STAFF
Jun 9, 2021
When is The Vesti being moved back to the top of the list where it belongs?
I think that all depends on the vesti users and how good of an example they can set [face_tongue], jk I'm not sure what designates the order of the boards besides how it's coded.

Jadarina

IGN Administrator
★ STAFF
Jun 9, 2021
You have a really good icon.
I hope you are lucky.

You are gonna need it.

The Brazilians are wild. Man.

I actually am quite lucky haha, my partner is always asking to borrow some of my Jadaluck. Though I don't believe it's transferrable sadly. I'm excited it's a whole new world for me to learn about.

And Thank you Bulba4life!!

BeAlone

Find something, protect something.
Feb 23, 2010
Arizona
Welcome to the Vesti and the IGN Board. I'm curious, why did you decide to be the community lead (not sure if anyone asked yet)?

Hi. We are a little unique, weird community, hope you fit in.

Also, cringy at times, but most of us mean well.

Jadarina

IGN Administrator
★ STAFF
Jun 9, 2021
Welcome to the Vesti and the IGN Board. I'm curious, why did you decide to be the community lead (not sure if anyone asked yet)?

Also, cringy at times, but most of us mean well.

Hey there BeAlone! can I call you B.A. for short? anywho, thanks for your patience in this response. So I have worked in community support roles for 15+ years in different industries, I've also been a writer for most of my life and semi-professionally for the last 8 or so. IGN was the perfect way for me to have my cake and pie and eat them too. I love connecting with others I'm a major social butterfly when I'm not enthralled in a great JRPG. IGN has a massive community and one that I have been a part of on and off throughout the years and I saw a chance to join the team and help the community the best way I know how, so I did. Being able to talk with users and share my thoughts on games and learn about theirs is really fun for me and helps me expand my horizons and possibly theirs too. Communication is key in a community and I enjoy doing it so here I am!

BeAlone

Find something, protect something.
Feb 23, 2010
Arizona
Hey there BeAlone! can I call you B.A. for short? anywho, thanks for your patience in this response. So I have worked in community support roles for 15+ years in different industries, I've also been a writer for most of my life and semi-professionally for the last 8 or so. IGN was the perfect way for me to have my cake and pie and eat them too. I love connecting with others I'm a major social butterfly when I'm not enthralled in a great JRPG. IGN has a massive community and one that I have been a part of on and off throughout the years and I saw a chance to join the team and help the community the best way I know how, so I did. Being able to talk with users and share my thoughts on games and learn about theirs is really fun for me and helps me expand my horizons and possibly theirs too. Communication is key in a community and I enjoy doing it so here I am!

Hey Jadarina, B.A. is fine with me. Thank you for telling your story. I like to learn more about the person behind the screen or just people in general to find a connection. I'm very introverted, so forums and other message boards like Discord help a lot. It's cool that you worked in similar roles for 15+ years.