google groups

If I set the 'group' I belong to as the 'recipient' and write an email, I should receive an email, but the email does not arrive. Why do other team members receive emails when they use the same method?

Solved Solved
0 5 132
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that you don't receive copies of emails sent to a group email. If you want to receive the email as well, you have to copy your email into the message to make sure to get a copy.

View solution in original post

@tneuser Is exactly right. The logic Google uses is that the message you sent to the group is already in your “Sent” label, so there’s no need to put another copy in your Inbox. 

If you write an email to yourself, you won't receive a second copy of the same message, because the message already exists in your mailbox (labelled sent). 

5 REPLIES 5

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that you don't receive copies of emails sent to a group email. If you want to receive the email as well, you have to copy your email into the message to make sure to get a copy.

@tneuser Is exactly right. The logic Google uses is that the message you sent to the group is already in your “Sent” label, so there’s no need to put another copy in your Inbox. 

Thanks for answering my questions! Of course, it doesn't matter because the mail I send automatically goes into the Sent Inbox, but theoretically, I designated the 'group' I belong to as the 'recipient', so I should receive the mail, but I don't understand why I can't. I also made the same access settings in the Admin console, but when I sent an email to myself by specifying the 'group' I belonged to as the 'recipient', I did not receive the email I wrote myself, but my teammate received the email they wrote themselves. Is this not a problem with the 'group' access settings, but a problem with the individual Gmail settings? I'm curious as to what causes this difference...

Why do you need a second copy of a message you already have in your mailbox? You don't receive the message because any given RFC-822 message ID can only exist in your mailbox once, and it already exists in your mailbox.

If you write an email to yourself, you won't receive a second copy of the same message, because the message already exists in your mailbox (labelled sent). 

Top Labels in this Space