Block Customer

Block Customer

Mr-Fragrance
Excursionist
41 4 5

Hi All,

I have set my store for manual payment acceptance, this is a great feature if you want to cancel fraud purchases, then the merchant does not incur any credit card charges. Today, I have a brave fraudster, how do I know it's fraud, shipping and billing address are different, three cards attempted to place an order, third time purchase made. I text and emailed the customer, then I thought to the hell with it, cancel the order. This person came back and placed the order for same item, remarkably, once again two failed transactions, third time he made the purchase. I rang him up, he did answer the phone, I told him before we ship the order, the card he used, we need a card statement displaying his name, address and card number on it, I told him to cover up any transaction and amounts, we just need to verify him.

I want to block this person, I have looked in Shopify but cannot locate this feature. I have done research, appears this is not built in Shopify, only possible with third party apps.  If this person set 10 accounts I would block all of them, if such a feature was built in Shopfiy.

Does Shopify have a block customer feature?

Replies 2 (2)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Partner
2353 216 621

There's not a block customer feature, that I know of, but a couple ideas:

a) If you have access to edit the checkout area (if you're on Shopify Plus, for example), you could hide payment methods for customers entering a certain email address, shipping address, etc.

b) You could hide the add to cart button for customers tagged X. This would require them to be logged in, so may not be effective if you don't rely on logged in customers much.

c) If you have scam customers coming from a certain country, you can block that country in your shipping profile, or from a certain region like a city or state, you can hide the add to cart button for browsers from that area, using some JavaScript code on your site.

d) Other than that, you can cancel their order. Yeah you will incur a small fee for the credit card processing, but it's not something that should long term affect you. If you don't want to manually cancel those orders, you can use Order Automator to do that. It handles various order automation tasks, people currently use it to auto cancel orders based on certain conditions.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Figure Out Why You're Not Getting Sales
Mr-Fragrance
Excursionist
41 4 5

@JoesIdeas 

Thank you for replying.

Anyone reading this thread, to avoid the below set your store to manual payment acceptance. You will not incur any fees if you cancel the order.

d) Other than that, you can cancel their order. Yeah you will incur a small fee for the credit card processing, but it's not something that should long term affect you. If you don't want to manually cancel those orders, you can use Order Automator to do that. It handles various order automation tasks, people currently use it to auto cancel orders based on certain conditions.