Feb 8, 2012
Before I progress any further, let me run you through some abbreviations I use.

HC- Head Coach (you)
OC- Offensive Coordinator
DC- Defensive Coordinator
STC- Special Teams Coordinator
QBC- Quarterback Coach
RBC- Running Backs Coach
WRC- Wide Receiver coach
OLC- Offensive Line Coach
LBC- Linebackers Coach
DBC- Defensive Backs Coach
DLC- Defensive Line Coach
GM- General Manager

SP- Skill Points
APR- Approval Rating

OVR- Overall
ATH- Athletic Grade
INT- Intangibles Grade
PRD- Production Grade
DUR- Durability Grade
POT- Potential Rating

SPD- Speed
ACC- Acceleration
AGI- Agility
STR- Strength
CAT- Catching
CAR- Carrying
AWR- Awareness
BCV- Ball Carrier Vision
TRK- Trucking
ELU- Elusiveness
SFA- Stiff Arm
JKM- Juke Move
SPM- Spin Move
SPC- Spectacular Catch
CIT- Catch In Traffic
RTE- Route Running
RLS- Release
JMP- Jumping
RBK- Run Block
PBK- Pass Block
RBS- Run Block Strength
RBF- Run Block Footwork
PBS- Pass Block Strength
PBF- Pass Block Footwork
IBL- Impact Blocking
THP- Throw Power
THA- Throw Accuracy
TAK- Tackle
POW- Hit Power
PMV- Power Moves
FMV- Finesse Moves
BSH- Block Shedding
PUR- Pursuit
PRC- Play Recognition
MCV- Man Coverage
ZCV- Zone Coverage
PRS- Press
KPW- Kick Power
KAC- Kick Accuracy
RET- Kick Return
STA- Stamina
INJ- Injury
TGH- Toughness

Feb 8, 2012
More abbreviations

QB- Quarterback
HB- Halfback
FB- Fullback
RB- Running Back
WR- Wide Receiver
TE- Tight End
LT- Left Tackle
LG- Left Guard
C- Center
RG- Right Guard
RT- Right Tackle
T- Tackle
G- Guard
LE- Left End
RE- Right End
DE- Defensive End
DT- Defensive Tackle
NT- Nose Tackle
LOLB- Left Outside Linebacker
ROLB- Right Outside Linebacker
MLB- Middle Linebacker
ILB- Inside Linebacker
OLB- Outside Linebacker
CB- Cornerback
NB- Nickelback
FS- Free Safety
SS- Strong Safety
S- Safety
DB- Defensive Back
K- Kicker
P- Punter
KR- Kick Returner
PR- Punt Returner
3DRB- 3rd Down Running Back
ST- Special Teams

Feb 8, 2012
Team Abbreviations, Nicknames, and the NFL Divisions
AFC East
BUF Buffalo Bills
MIA Miami Dolphins (also called the Lolphins)
NE New England Patriots (also called the Pats and Cheatriots)
NYJ New York Jets
AFC West
DEN Denver Broncos
KC Kansas City Chiefs
OAK Oakland Raiders (also called Failand Raiders and Thugland Raiders)
SD San Diego Chargers (also called Bolts and Sparks)
AFC North
BAL Baltimore Ravens
CIN Cincinnati Bengals (also called the Bungles)
CLE Cleveland Browns
PIT Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC South
HOU Houston Texans
IND Indianapolis Colts (also called the Peytons and/or Mannings)
JAX Jacksonville Jaguars (also called the Jags)
TEN Tennessee Titans

NFC East
DAL Dallas Cowboys (also called the Cowgirls)
NYG New York Giants
PHI Philadelphia Eagles (also called the Iggles)
WAS Washington Redskins (also called the Lolskins)
NFC West
ARI Arizona Cardinals (also called the Cards)
SF San Francisco 49ers
SEA Seattle Seahawks (also called the Suckhawks)
STL St. Louis Rams
NFC North
CHI Chicago Bears (also called the Midway Monsters)
DET Detroit Lions
GB Green Bay Packers (also called the Pack)
MIN Minnesota Vikings (also called Failesota)
NFC South
ATL Atlanta Falcons (also called the Lolcons, and Dirty Birds; also called Failanta)
CAR Carolina Panthers (also called the Canthers)
NO New Orleans Saints (also called the Aints and WHO DEY CREW)
TB Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC East beasts= New York and Dallas
AFC Powerhouses= Indianapolis, New England, and San Diego
NFC Powerhouses= Dallas, New York, and Green Bay
The AFC "Basement"= Miami
The NFC "Basement"= Atlanta[/quote]

Feb 8, 2012
So now it's time to prepare for the 2008 free agency period. The crap before FA isn't too important, pretty much just small things setting you up for the upcoming season. Just crap like setting up your Team Philosophy, a look at Team Needs and the Team Roadmap. A draft preview giving you a vague view of the 2008 draft. There's the Senior Bowl and NFL Combine where you can choose players to scout. Those aren't all that important either. Just choose people you are interested in and/or could potentially draft. You'll find out some important physical attributes for all the players after the Combine too.

There's also the chance to franchise tag a player. I don't franchise players but if you want to, go right ahead. Note that you will be able to just re-sign them regular once free agency starts. I don't franchise because you only sign them for 1 year on a big salary so it's not even long-term. But remember this is the ONLY time you'll get to designate a player with the tag so don't just skip over it. If you don't want to bid on them I guess you can go ahead and do it but you'll just have to re-sign them again the next year.

Don't mess with Restricted Free Agency either. Something is up with it and sometimes players you tender never show up on your roster even if no team tried to get them. I just let all RFAs enter free agency like normal.

Feb 8, 2012
A Preview of the 2008 Free Agent Class:
Sorted by position. Just a few of the top players. Next to the name is their former team and whether or not they're unrestricted or restricted. I usually only go for UNRESTRICTED agents because I don't like dealing with restricted free agency. Your call though of course. Lastly, I'll have either 1-5 asterisks to show how good they are AND 1-5 dollar signs to show how expensive/costly they are. 5 asterisks and 1 dollar sign is like the best you can bet, but it will never happen lol. The more dollar signs, the more you'll pay. So generally, if there are more $'s then *'s, the player costs more than they are worth. I'll put an asterisk IN FRONT of players I've seen get franchise tagged by their teams.

QB
Derek Anderson CLE RFA ***$$$$
Josh McCown OAK UFA **$$
Daunte Culpepper OAK UFA ***$$$
Rex Grossman CHI UFA **$$
Trent Green UFA **$ <----Wasn't on a team. EXTREMELY OLD but hey, if you need a serviceable QB for one year, go ahead.

HB
Marion Barber DAL RFA ****$$$$
Michael Turner SD UFA ***$$$$
Julius Jones DAL UFA **$$

WR/TE
*Randy Moss NE UFA *****$$$$$
*Bernard Berrian CHI UFA ***$$$$
D.J. Hackett SEA UFA UFA **$$$$

OL
*Alan Faneca PIT UFA *****$$$$$
*Flozell Adams DAL UFA ****$$$
Jake Scott IND UFA ***$$$
Stacey Andrews CIN UFA ***$$$$
*Jordan Gross CAR UFA *****$$$$$
Ben Noll SD UFA ***$$$$

DL
*Justin Smith CIN UFA ****$$$$
Antwan Odom TEN UFA ****$$$

LB
*Lance Briggs CHI UFA *****$$$$$
Terrell Suggs BAL UFA *****$$$
*Karlos Dansby ARI UFA ****$$$
Kawika Mitchell NYG UFA ***$$$

CB
*Asante Samuel NE UFA *****$$$$$
*Nnamdi Asomugha OAK UFA *****$$$$$
*Marcus Trufant SEA UFA ***$$$$

S
*Ken Hamlin DAL UFA **$$$
Gibril Wilson NYG UFA ****$$$

K/P
Josh Brown SEA UFA ****$$

Whether or not some of these players are available depends on how their respective team uses the franchise tag.

The Cowboys use their tag on either Ken Hamlin or Flozell Adams. Whichever one isn't tagged will be available in free agency. It's usually used on Flo though so more than likely it will be Hamlin, who can play either FS or SS.

The Pats use their franchise on either Asante or Randy. Both are elite players at their position so it just depends. Randy, by the way, is the best WR in the league.

The Bears are dumb enough to sometimes NOT use their tag on Lance Briggs so he could become available to you too if Chicago decides to franchise the almighty Bernard Berrian.

Looking at the top players, there's more on the defensive side that stands out. You have Justin Smith who is sometimes available, Antwan Odom, Big Fat Albert Haynesworth is USUALLY tagged but HE can potentially be available too. You have 3 very good corners in Samuel, Aso, and Trufant although usually Asomugha and Trufant are tagged. Not the best class but there's more to it than the guys I listed. A lot more.

DON'T SIMULATE THROUGH FREE AGENCY, especially just because you got past the 1st tier of players, the cream of the crop of the class. Don't do that. There's plenty more depth, that's why the FA period is so long.

Feb 8, 2012
During FA period, trading with other teams becomes an option so start shopping around if you want. Refer to my information on trading for some words of advice. NOW is the time to trade for picks in this year's draft if you wanted to do that. Don't try doing it too close to the draft or teams won't want to trade with you until the actual draft starts.

Also during FA period is the ever-so-important Pro Day scouting and the coveted Individual Workouts. You won't need them as much for the 2008 draft since I'll be providing for you on that but for the drafts to come you'll need to focus on these.

Scouting Pro Days is simple enough. Choose schools where the Avg % Scouted is low OR schools that have players you are interested in. You have a limited amount of individual workouts so make them count. Workouts are very important because you literally reveal the player's POTENTIAL RATING when you work them out, pretty much giving it away whether you should draft them or not.

Remember to go to the Draft part of your clipboard and look at the "Scouting Results" to check your scouting progress and check the players you're interested in to make sure you want to still pursue them.

At the start of free agency you should've gotten a mock draft so use this as a way to plan out your draft day. It will never go exactly as the mock says it will because teams will trade up or they'll just not need to draft the player it says they would draft. But it's a good base to judge from.

Feb 8, 2012
POSITIONAL 2008 DRAFT BOARD

Just a brief look at the top prospects. No potential, no attributes, just names. Note this is NOT an OFFICIAL DRAFT BOARD. Later on in the week (if you wait), there WILL BE AN UPDATED DRAFT BOARD with a more accurate list of players! I'd suggest waiting for that to come out along with the other information I will be providing!

If you do plan to just use this unofficial board, note this IS NOT based on where they will go in the draft but based on VALUE. Players that usually go undrafted are NOT listed. Remember this please!!!

The OFFICIAL BOARD will have insight are where players usually go and where I'd try to get them. Just because a player is 1st on the draft board for their position does not mean you have to take them in the 1st round!!!

Feb 8, 2012
QB
1. Matt Ryan/Boston College
2. Brian Brohm/Louisville
3. Andre Woodson/Kentucky
4. Josh Johnson/San Diego
5. Alex Brink/Wash St.
6. Chad Henne/Michigan
7. Joe Flacco/Delaware

Feb 8, 2012
HB
1. Darren McFadden/Arkansas
2. Ray Rice/Rutgers
3. Felix Jones/Arkansas
4. Jonathan Stewart/Oregon
5. Rashard Mendenhall/Illinois
6. Mike Hart/Michigan
7. Chris Johnson/E. Carolina
8. Jamaal Charles/Texas
9. Kevin Smith/Central Florida
10. Matthew Forte/Tulane

Feb 8, 2012
WR
1. Mario Manningham/Michigan
2. Earl Bennett/Vanderbilt
3. DeSean Jackson/California
4. Harry Douglas/Louisville

INCOMPLETE LIST IS INCOMPLETE. It is hard to judge the receivers right now as I don't have access to the game. Actually, everything I've said so more is from already-stored knowledge. Wait until later this week for the OFFICIAL DRAFT BOARD and you'll see a much better list, alright?

None of these lists are complete really but the official draft board is going to have COMPLETE LISTS.

Feb 8, 2012
LT
1. Jake Long/Michigan
2. Ryan Clady/Boise St.
3. Chris Williams/Vanderbilt
4. Sam Baker/USC
5. Duane Brown/Virginia Tech
6. Barry Richardson/Clemson
7. King Dunlap/Auburn

Feb 8, 2012
RT
1. John Greco/Toledo
2. Demetrius Bell/Northwestern St.
2. Jeff Otah/Pittsburgh
3. Gosder Cherilus/Boston College
4. Carl Nicks/Nebraska

Feb 8, 2012
MLB
1. Tavares Gooden/Miami
2. Beau Bell/UNLV
3. Phillip Wheeler/Georgia Tech
4. Dan Connor/Penn St.
5. Curtis Lofton/Oklahoma

Feb 8, 2012
CB
1. Mike Jenkins/USF
2. Brandon Flowers/Virginia Tech
3. Leodis McKelvin/Troy
4. Antoine Cason/Arizona
5. Patrick Lee/Auburn
6. Zack Bowman/Nebraska
7. Aqib Talib/Kansas

Feb 8, 2012
K
None

^The only good kicker in this draft is pretty much always going to be undrafted. Why would you actually DRAFT a kicker or punter anyways?

Feb 8, 2012
P
1. Durant Brooks/Georgia Tech

^Again, as I said with the kickers...don't draft a kicker or punter. Seriously. Just don't.

Feb 8, 2012
DRAFTING FOR DUMMIES!
Simple rules and guidelines to follow when it is draft day.

Dealing With Staff Suggestions
Everytime you pick in the draft, the GM will suggest a player. Really, half the time the GM suggests you draft a player that you literally should not get. But there are times where you should. But most of the time, you probably shouldn't because either the player sucks or there are better options available. Yea, you DO LOSE APPROVAL turning down the GM's jurisdiction but it is for the best. It's not enough of an approval loss to make a difference anyways.

Don't Draft Based on Overall Grade
Don't EVER EVER EVER look at a player, look at the overall grade you are given, and draft them. EVER. ALWAYS go into the scouting details for more information. Overall grades are misleading. If you go into the scouting details you'll at least find some Combine info on them, a few strengths/weaknesses of the player, and the player's comparison.

Look at prospects' NFL Comparison
The better the comparison, the better the chance a prospect is really good. If you are looking at a draft prospect and he's compared to LaDainian Tomlinson...draft him.

90-90 and 90-90-90 Rule
If you don't have a potential rating for a prospect or you're like me and don't trust the production grade, look at the PHYSICAL AND DURABILITY grades. If these are both high then you at least know the prospect is athletic and durable. If his SIZE grade is very high too you could just have a sleeper. A Double 90 is still assuring though, especially in later rounds. But a Double or Triple 90 AND a good NFL player comparison...that's very assuring.

Locxation

Noob
Sep 26, 2013
Awesome guide...helps a ton just wanted to say as first time player take patriots boost your qb and wr and upgrade your grade b positions and its ez mode. Again thanks a lot

Nov 13, 2013
Patriots are ez mode regardless. "Boosting" Brady or Moss is a total waste. They've already topped out at 98 or 99 depending on which philosophy you use. Coach Skill Points are better used elsewhere than trying to make a HOF player better.

Last edited: