Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2007
It really is a huge difference in presentation. To see how much it's improved watch the video and then the ign number 1 playstation game(Shadow of the Colossus) video. It looks so much better.

KerinVen

Noob
Jan 11, 2010
Definitely gonna preorder this, and if they release some sort of special edition...definitely gonna get it. Midnight release? For sure. Am I excited? Yeah.

Thing that sucks, I made this list of games I've yet to beat and said I'm not buying new ones until I beat them all. I've got 51 to go...LPB2 is out January, Zelda Skyward Sword in March, then this one at some point spring time...It looks like I'll be adding 3 more to my list >.<

hoppie00

Noob
Nov 26, 2009
"Obviously Trophy notification can be turned off, but it's still a sad sign of the times."

Is that just for this game, or has Sony included that in a firmware update, because if so I'd gladly turn them off.

Incidentally, I'm inclined to disagree with you about trophies because, if one can turn them off, it gives people greater choice and that's a good thing.

What isn't good I guess is if resources are spent on incorporating irrelevant notifications of gaming 'check lists'.

Back on point, having prior to the PS3 only owned Nintendo consoles I haven't had the opportunity to play either of these games. I'm incredibly excited that they're coming out, and a good preview too, that schism between nostalgia and genuine quality is not often crossed, it's a testament to the games themselves and the job they've done in remastering them that you've come away from that preview with such a strong impression.

Dec 11, 2010
how did he know what a girl feels like on prom night? haha! well anyways if trophies piss you off so much just ignore them. and how are you pissed off by trophies anyways? how the H*LL are they BAD?

Dec 12, 2010
I understand the sentiment about these two games and even within the lasst six months purchased Collusus. I also agree with the trophies. I believe the reviewer was not opposed to all trophies in games. However these are two games that beg the question, "Are they art? Or games?" I believe them to be art and wish for them to be restored but not have something that had no purpose in the originals tossed cheaply in, thus detracting from the visual style that the games creators put so much time into. However this is a small price to pay to have games that are such prime examples of how beatiful a game can be (In 3D no less).

PS3-Wii-FanXD

Almost Not a Noob
May 26, 2008
it also show's how much people moan in these times. Why would you prefer to NOT have them? a bit weird, i am not like a trophy whore but i like them when they pop up..

YouCheater

Noob
Dec 12, 2010
i like trophys.... i like the way they sound, that bling they make.
and then they are pretty fun to show to your freinds. like show them a trophy they dont have, and say a good way to get it!

A

AceJakk

Original poster
@ObscureAlchemist

Trophies and Achievements don't DO anything, but neither do scores or kill counts. The perceived value of anything quantifiable in videogames is what lends them their worth. It's interesting that you hate something that doesn't do anything to warrant such a feeling though.

meekoveepo

Noob
Feb 11, 2006
Tropies are bad, what if you went to see a great movie,
and you had little announcements poping up all over the place.
They have no emotional or story context. If videogame are
every going to be seen as an adult medium, we need to get
rid of trophies. They take you out of the experience for something
superficial.

Aug 24, 2010
Sony hasn't made plasma since the largest LCD was 32". They probably ended the demo because you called their Bravia, which I bet was an XBR, a plasma. I would have kicked you out to. lol

Nov 17, 2010
TROPHIES?You people are talking about trophies?Who cares,trophies or not,these are IMO the best games EVER to come out on the PS2,especially shadow of the collosus,I felt like i was in the never ending story or something.there has never been another game like it.I cant give these games enough Praise.You youngens are about to get a taste of games at its best.I would say this is better than anything that came out so far in this gen(ps3/360).Get it u will be very happy.

Dec 9, 2008
I have nothing against trophies, I don't love them but I certainly don't hate them either.
That being said, some games just weren't meant to have trophies. Heavy Rain did it right (trophies stack up and are showed in the loading screen between chapters).
I would seriously be upset if after killing the last colossus a trophy icon poped up with a name like "Badass Motherf#@ker", just yanks you right out of the game ...

Jun 10, 2006
Pshh, I don't think a tiny box in the corner of the screen is going to take away from the awesome sight of the fall of a Colossus whenever it happens.

Jul 12, 2008
Can't wait this is going to be so amazing...

And I agree and disagree Mr. Thomsen..Trophies/Achievements have in a way made gaming a disaster..but as I progressed and progressed through the trophies..I found myself coming to love them in some way's. They add something extra to the playing of the games. A sense of accomplishment...especially on some of the harder ones.

In some way's, where multiplayer is concerned, they've been the bane of my existence..but the ones that bring you to new discoveries or open you up to seeing something that you wouldnt' normally have seen..well, those are my favorite. Ones that reward you for doing something that's hard in a game...are awesome.

I like trophies and Achievements..but part of me hates them too. Sometimes they make playing games feel like a task...but once I get them...a warm feeling just rushes over me. It's a lot hate relationship...just like my marriage. lol.

JK, my wife was looking over my shoulder so I had to type that.

lsd265

Noob
Oct 6, 2009
wow nitpicking. turn off trophy notification and switch to 2D mode. done and done.. but I like trophies and 3D so.. if you really want that old feel.. go play the ps2.. shrugs.

yamaha21

Noob
Nov 6, 2010
my sister's buying a 3D TV for Xmas cantwait to play killzone 3/gt5/Ico /shadow of the colussus/CoD: BO , all in 3D ....=D

Dec 9, 2005
Anyone that complains about trophies (or 3D for that matter)is just looking for something to whine about. Turn off the notifications and shut up about it. There is no reason that these two games can't have trophies. If you don't care about trophies, don't worry about them and just play the game. In the case of 3D, so long as they don't start releasing major titles that REQUIRE 3D I don't see the harm in it. If these are done nearly as well as the God of War Collection I will be psyched.

jedcat

Noob
Mar 17, 2003
ico was that game i never picked up but always wanted to.. no excuse i know.. and my ps2 suffered a fatal fall right before shadow came out.

looks like i'm buying a ps3 to get these games.

i've been looking for the right excuse.

Jul 21, 2008
@jedcat Good call. If any games ever warranted a console purchase, it's these two. I've certainly known people who couldn't get into them, but they're a relative minority, and almost everyone I know who has played through either of them, especially Shadow, considers them every bit as good as the writer of this article finds them to be. Shadow is easily my favorite PS2 game and one of my top five on any platform, and ICO isn't far behind.

Blue_Vortex_Cloud, as much as I think 3D is generally an obnoxious gimmick, I think playing Shadow in 3D would be awesome if the developers use it to emphasize the game's existing sense of scope.

Jan 10, 2011
trophies are cool and if you dont like em then just ignore them its not like you have to get them its just something someone can do once the game gets stale...

Qamorris

Noob
Jun 2, 2009
My God I can't wait. I don't care about the trophies I just wanna see this in HD. These are the only games that have actually made me cry because of how great they are. Yea, I'll admit when I cry. I cried when Ash turned in to stone on the first Pokemon movie that came to theaters.

Mperce

Noob
Oct 14, 2008
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. The two games that make me seriously second-guess my console choice...
Guess I'll steal a friend's PS3 and rent this when it comes out.

PR0PH37

Noob
Mar 20, 2008
Wow, you guys cant read. He said the games would be retrofitted with trophies. That means it will have trophies but because the experience is so awesome and artistic he wished they had none. It was stupid to mention. Especially since he knows you can turn of the notifications.

Aug 26, 2009
if no trophies not sure if i'd buy the remakes especially if the graphical improvements aren't that big of a deal. besides, trophies/achievements are just a way to show others what games you enjoy most. i have like 40 points for medal of honor and 20 points for metro 2033, but all 1255 for mass effect 2 and all 1200 for mass effect 1. you just get an idea of what a gamer is into.

i.abstract

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 31, 2001
@supatastywaffles:
Who cares what another gamer is into? I only care what I'm into, and I don't need trophies to remind me of that.

Jengaship

Noob
Jan 19, 2004
IGN still has the release date as TBA, but bestbuy.com has it coming out on March 8. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Status
Not open for further replies.