woody938

The Irresponsible Captain Typo
Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
A trick I used to do when icons were limited to gif or jpg and <25MB

While in RGB mode, add a b1b3bc layer behind each layer.
Merge each layer down onto the b1b3bc layer.
Bucket fill in colour erase mode the excess b1b3bc
Convert to Indexed mode

This only works for layers that "replace" the previous, the process is much more complicated with "combine" gifs. It blends good enough with the white theme I think.

Last edited:

Satern

Pluto, forgive but never forget.
Mar 26, 2013
avMpqGB.gif

still looks wonky after doing your thing. just a bad gif to start with lol.

Last edited:

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
Back when I did a couple of certificates in IT (~15 years ago) I used to know the technical difference between RGB and Indexed, but the gist is that Indexed reduces the number of colours stored in the image file the less colours, the smaller the image file. Converting to indexed always reduces the image quality though as some colours are converted to the closest shade.

Editing is almost never done in indexed mode due to the limited colours you can use, also, with indexing there is no variation in transparency I don't think, just "on" or "off" for each pixel, but I'm sure you've already worked that out.

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
How long has it been since I've posted the images I've iconified of my own taste?

lcJ55je.png
R7DVque.png
1LCVt0U.png
F588K2J.png
mIZgmLV.png
szQOLHr.png
PP5EKLL.gif
QU7WoYr.png
Slfam0m.png
v2JP5VQ.png
VIraHF6.png
ZvbKo9E.png
8NBiHDU.png
2vo6Bvj.png
SXqQmsR.png
vsRazUz.png
ydSUfcc.png
BQPfF9L.png
ARiUgEA.png
hr5kWcB.png
gjBYEAm.gif
UAm8j10.png
bPquib4.png
vrVy3vC.png
S7YiElD.gif

//has made more than he can share in a single post

///4, no 5 different idol... characters, 4 of them girls, 3 of those girls are alive, it's a wonder he hasn't done one of Kanan yet, the hottest anime girl ever, perhaps?

////the easiest of those was Gowther, the most time consuming was Wendy + Lucy, maybe the animated Honoka

Last edited:

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
Felt I won somethin' when I found a cycling picture of Honoka, think I'll have to do some sort of highlight with da pink shadow though, tried transparenting it but it seems a bit bland from that. Might have to try to bring out some the detail too.

6Hx2ZNl.png

Some more pictures I iconised

LAVN9Hj.png
usEvw1G.gif
wKJRCqI.png
oiipfWY.png
nykxegX.gif
w6DlBzV.png
ldi0FsD.png
AkGvU3d.png
5dIBmxr.png
JtDZ56g.png
fecxxxl.png
ahdE4Kn.png
prdYQ4P.gif
noOrocX.png
uDBk8VI.png
Yi5US5m.jpg
wVyeJiy.png
ldDMeL5.png

//Raimu took the most effort of these, still one of his favourites

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
7Zj2waN.png
7dzG151.png
TKWB7wp.png

And that completes all the cycling Honoka pics I got... technically there's the first one in this post without a helmet too though, there's loads more Love Live ones, especially Rin-Rin seems to have the best. Plus those "leek-spin" halloween ones I did too

NrlM8uE.gif
lHkkAHa.gif

Satern

Pluto, forgive but never forget.
Mar 26, 2013
@woody938 @everyone else the ign guy says the icon limit is 500kb now. havent tried it yet but does it make us sloppy if we get lazy and make big icons now instead of finding crafty ways to shrink

Sagara-san

wandering my way through time
★ MOD
Sep 9, 2008
Under a Tree
hi, lazy icon maker here, making quality icons in the most efficient ways since 2008.

at least now some gif icons i made 5-7 years ago will work. so long as the uploader works....already tested once today with a gif at 400ish kb and i'm still looking at my old canada one so i guess there's still some bugs. engineers are certainly not done, but are working on things.

edit: huh, just noticed, ign's resize is cropping my icon now....only in the location beside my post. every single other place my icon is located on ign shows the full image resized into their respective windows including the one beside post reply.

Jul 14, 2008
Would anyone be able to make an icon for Hatsuho (from the new Sakura Wars game)?

Project-Sakura-Wars_2019_12-11-19_007.jpg

Without the tail would be preferred. I think that's just a picture of some DLC thing. I couldn't really find a better picture than this for an icon but idk maybe someone could find a better one with a quick look. Any help would be appreciated.

woody938

Apr 23, 2007
Black Lizard Planet
Firstly, pretty!! No changes to the image itself beyond docking the tail, I jus' played with shadows a bit for an effect I wanted to experiment with, let me know if you'd rather a different look.

jwb8dJs.png

I haven't been able to change my icon at all (tried the MyIGN route, that's the way I was doing it normally before), so hope you can.

Last edited:

chibkey

𝕮𝖔𝖒𝖕𝖑𝖎𝖈𝖆𝖙𝖊𝖉 𝕸𝖆𝖙𝖙𝖊𝖗𝖘 𝕺𝖓𝖑𝖞
May 3, 2006
Haven't checked this thread in a while and I see @KILLER_BOB11694 got nice taste!

Welp I'm ready to move on to my next icons but been depleted of creative juice. Been thinking of ways to do Trails of Cold Steel IV for months and this might be what I'm going with

ba8755c688840864c1a22d8b65b26f7d.png

Rocoberry

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 12, 2017
Could someone please make this into an icon for me? Right up to the second button would be nice.

1604543322472.png