Jokaell

Truth Debunker
Sep 29, 2005
The game is fairly difficult but I've found that the level of difficulty it poses has me actually wanting to keep trying until I win which pleases me. I have found that sometimes a good way to win is to try and slam the racers into cars or other objects and hope it crashes them out.

Otherwise this game is pretty much a lot of fun, especially for a racer cause I just about don't like racing games much these days.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
Well, from what Im reading, unless you are an absolute twitch gamer that likes the feeling of accomplishment against a greater foe after much trial and tribulation, then this game's singleplayer isnt for you. Multiplayer could be...

Well I am a twitch gamer, but I dont like having the odds against me, some gamers are naturally better at playing games than others. Im better than a lot, but there are plenty that are better than me also. This having the odds against you, like most open world games, the "bots" arent as creative or cunning, so they get innate boosts: knowing where you are at all times regardless of line of sight, being able to get head shots while strafing and running from 300+ yards with a none-too-accurate rifle, knowing where you are aiming at all times, these reasons cause me to stick to Mplayer, especially in sandbox style games (battlefield, GTA, etc). I wouldnt be suprised if the cops only chase players and completely ignore the bots (NFS did that, however GTA4 cops would assault bots, so Im not 100% sure, but again, GTA4 wasnt hard for the AI, some missions were just long and had overwhelming enemy numbers).

If the Mplayer aspect is fun and doesnt degenerate into FOTM car and build (everyone using a let's say the ducatti, all modified the same way for optimum performance), then Id consider it, but from seeing a lot of these comments, I feel as if the D2LOD mentality has seeped into more than just CS and WOW, and I think id rather beat my balls with a hammer than deal with smacktards in a 16 player bout.

In the end, I might rent this, but I doubt Ill ever buy it, maybe MC5. I think it's shameful that rockstar has neglected difficulty setting adjustment out of their last 2 games. That, to me, is a elementary mistake to make, like forgetting to program controls or graphics. Tetris had difficulty levels for christ's sake.

Jan 12, 2008
The game is NOT extremely hard, but it's a challenge...and that's why I can't stop playing it.

Great game, good challenge...a must buy if you like racing games.

Kilo_24

Noob
Jun 24, 2007
Whoever wrote this review should try burning out and also he should know when you upgrade your car it could go to the next class level therefore allowing cars in those levels to compete against you. The game is also not hard, just know your way around LA and learn the controls.

dwillis10

Noob
Aug 23, 2005
Great game, graphics rule, sounds top of the line..Gameplay VERY SUSPECT !! I find it hard to beleive that ANY Mitsu Evo can keep up with a fully modded Lambo i dont care how bad you drive..Ive found that you can have a perfect race all the way up until the end and one mistake, one BUMP even and at least 2 cars past you..Whats the point of workin your way up the car list if every car seems to have the same capabilities...its stupid..I was counting the days til this game came out and now i can wait to trade it for NFS Undercover..My Fully Tricked out Lambo just isnt enough to out-run those pesky 4 cylinders as they manage to miss 98 percent of the cars in traffic and rarely have to use their brakes!..YEAH RIGHT..cool parts and options though..
OH YEAH, whats with the short list of cars to choose from...and THREE bikes...geez

BTW - for the record, im not one the sucky guys just complaining cuz i cant do this or that, im at savant level for rep and have unlocked everything i want as far as parts,cars,and money im just keepin it real for everyone whos not as good as some of us..

Jul 4, 2007
who cares if the game is really hard, it actually isnt. well idk it could just be me ^^, but im at the top of my rep, and have all parts, and if u ask me, the level green (easiest races) are very very easy, so why is this game so hard? everything else is amazing as well, can't wait for some new dlc, some more cars perhaps? i certainly hope so.

Joe2blade

Noob
Oct 13, 2007
ye the reviewers were just crappy car racers lol...the game was challenging but never hard...i've also noticed if u use a different air scoop and sadly there's only 3 -.- u get a different sound from your engine if u listen closely its pretty cool

Zook024

Almost Not a Noob
Sep 9, 2008
reviewers clearly can not drive worth shit because this game is far from hard, it's just challenging.

Nov 14, 2008
this games dominates NFS undercover. actually any game does, anyway i really want this game. does anyone know the name of the song at the start of the video review?

Aug 25, 2003
To the person that said an Evo can't beat a Lambo... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU4jzAqvQK0

Anyways this game is great so far!

Jun 23, 2006
This game is NOT to hard, you have to work your way up in the game and get to know the city. You are not always going to finish first, and yes this game blows Undercover away...EA should be ashamed of themselves for the crap they've put out this year (minus NHL09, that game rocks).

Either way this isn't a game for wimps...bring your A-Game or go play the Wii...either way this game gets my vote for racing game of the year.

Nov 23, 2008
yo wtf is this guy say it's too hard that's how it is in this series like in midnight club 2 that shit was very hard to me but this game i love it because it's meant for people who really love racing games nothing toooo easy if u want easy holler at fucking need for speed

SrgntBlake

Noob
Nov 22, 2008
First things first yes the game is hard, unbelievably hard. But you can win races if you stay in them and if you buy new cars or upgrade correctly you can stay ahead, just not too far ahead of the AI, I've won races by twenty seconds and some by less than one so its all how you play, crowding your opponents dont hurt either.

May 6, 2008
I'm a die-hard racing fan, and in my opinion,
Midnight Club: LA is the best racing game ever made.
This is the kind of game I've been dreaming about my whole life. The customization aspect is the best I've ever seen in a game. It's always fun to race, and the in car camera view feels as if you're really driving!!! No other racing game, in my opinion, has ever accomplished that. This game deserved the same rating as GTA4... Rockstar ROCKS, and is the best Video game design studio EVER!!!!

May 6, 2008
"'though the car models probably could have been a little sleeker.'

Really? In what game do the car models look better? Forza 2? GT 5? The car models in this game are incredible, especially considering the level of customization available."

Actually, I noticed off the bat that these cars wouldn't look as great as some of the other racers out there. Ever play GRID?

Damn, I'm gonna have to wait till morning to read this... so I'll have to form better opinions tomorrow. But if it's hard... then bring on the pain!

I have Grid, forza 2, and Midnight club... Midnight club is the best one out of them all, by far, in my opinion. I am a big racing fan, and I love Midnight club. I used to like burnout, but I really don't know what turned me off about it, I just lost interest after part 3. Midnight club is very fun and addictive. The customization aspect of the game is best in all racing games. The in-car camera view is great (feels like you are really driving), and reacts perfectly with your driving responsiveness. The game is hard, but that's what makes it fun, challenging, and gratifying all at once. Midnight club LA is a must-have like: GTA4, Gears of War 2, Call of Duty 4 and 5, Fable 2.

minifigga

Noob
Oct 3, 2008
man can someone tell me how to take pictures of my cars? i keep seeing "Go Into Camera Mode" on the social club but my game has no camera mode, how do I get there. I see the photo album in the menu but no camera mode & the damn manual that came with the game doesn't help either, all it says is to go into camera mode but nothing about what button or buttons to push to get there, WTF!

Lioness405

Noob
Dec 4, 2008
man can someone tell me how to take pictures of my cars? i keep seeing "Go Into Camera Mode" on the social club but my game has no camera mode, how do I get there. I see the photo album in the menu but no camera mode & the damn manual that came with the game doesn't help either, all it says is to go into camera mode but nothing about what button or buttons to push to get there, WTF!

Just press the "Start" button (it will pause the game) and then use the right joystick (rotate the joystick a little bit). That will put you in "camera mode".
A camera mode screen will appear with camera tools for your controller (X to take the picture, left joystick to pan, right joystick to select the point of view, etc.).

thundurclese

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 17, 2008
Here is the biggest tip for anyone complaining about how difficult this game is...........
Get a motorcycle. Case closed,IMO time is made or lost through all the turns and corners. The motorcycle anihilates these and renders even the most difficult races easy; minus driver error.

Aug 21, 2008
This game is the shit. The graphics and car models are unmatched and the environment is solid. I personally think the difficulty makes the game a lot more intense. The customization is absolutely outstanding and couldn't have been done better. Best racing game out there.

Dec 27, 2008
This game is pretty good I must say. I like the way that it is the exact same way as Los Angeles. But who cares when your doing 200 mph.??
The Pull Over mode is funny. I like racing away then hiding and getting loads of rep.
The start of this game is easy but closer to the end is medium/hard.

DeanRoberts123[face_talk_hand]

Nov 27, 2007
i picked this game up the other day and i have mix feelings... the map is really difficult to master like the guy said it is hard to see shortcuts and when you are going to race i believe its called a landmark race its mad hard to find the shortest route if you need to travel like 5 miles to the other point because it is hard to read the damn map

The last MNC game that I picked up was MNC 2 and I kinda wish they did the same thing in making up their own cars that was cool but i hate how they have some really crappy advertisements in the game ive driven by gamestop and bestbuy in the game pretty dumb if you ask me

I do love the customization you can do in this game its pretty sick all the options they have but i dont like the powerups it kinda takes away from the overall feel of the game but I dont know if you have ever played Need for speed underground 2 this reminds me of the same thing pretty much.... you are getting a ton of messages during the game telling u of different races and such around the city and it gets confusing....

overall tho i would recommend the game if you like racing the guy who wrote the article is a dumbass cause its not very difficult to win against the AI they doesn't destroy you like he was saying its just kinda hard but it almost seems that the game can let you or the AI be able to catch up if you fall behind i made a guy slam into a wall head on and it caused him to completely stop yet some how he managed to finish like 2 sec behind me and I didn't wreck at all kinda bullshit if you ask me be whateve get it if you want to play a good reacing game
I wish they included splitscreen tho kinda pissed not gonna lie but i guess that where they are going with all games nowadays even so i enjoyed racing against friends on one game rather than 3 of us all buying it

Dec 29, 2008
I do love the customization you can do in this game its pretty sick all the options they have but i dont like the powerups it kinda takes away from the overall feel of the game but I dont know if you have ever played Need for speed underground 2 this reminds me of the same thing pretty much.... you are getting a ton of messages during the game telling u of different races and such around the city and it gets confusing....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's wrong with the powerups? They are one of the defining aspects of Midnight Club. It's an arcade racer. If you don't like how its not realistic go play Gran Turismo...

Jan 2, 2009
A little bit more work could have been done to the traffic cars, but I'm just being picky. You get a good laugh out of the crap talk in the game. The game is hard to play but I love it because most car racing games you just fly through them way to easy. Wish they had put in more bikes and my dream car the Bentley Continental GT-S.

shadchan

Noob
Oct 10, 2005
A note to people worried about this game being hard, I think this reviewer sucks at this game because I come in 1st/2nd almost all the time on orange(medium) difficulty races and 1st place is cake on green(easy) ones. I have yet to do any hard races, I doubt I am good enough to beat them. But seriously, it's not as hard as this reviewer is making it out to be.

freethinker

Prime Member
Jun 11, 2001
Definitely a fun game, but I'm just surprised there was no mention of how uncannily realistic the lip-synching (during in-engine cutscenes) is in this game. It's honestly the best I've seen in any game. Whatever Rockstar San Diego is using for its mouth synching tech, I wish every game out there could use it. I was gawking at how well the mouths matched up with what was being said. Really impressive. jaw, lips, tongues, teeth---everything matches. Cool stuff. The synching in the Killzone 2 vids has distracted me a bit from the rest of the game's beauty---this would make a huge difference.

jeffkill

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 21, 2005
I have no problems winning races. Sometimes on the first try it can be difficult, but once you learn the route they want you to race, its not really all that hard. This is definitely a fun game.

FS09n

Noob
Mar 19, 2009
im really mad about the expansion pack i cant believe it hasnt come out yet, rockstar has only 2 games they are currently monitoring, (grand theft auto, midnight club la), and they still cant come up with a small expansion pack without changing the release date like 3 times.

xxtedxx

Noob
Jun 24, 2008
I think the game is pretty fun, but far from a perfect ten. 8.5 is a fair rating i think. The game is fun, but can be challenging at times, like to the point of wanting to chuck your controller threw the TV, but it's just that more refreshing when you win. Another downfall i think is map, it can be annoying to navigate with sometimes. For sure a good racer, has a few bumps and bruises, but its at least worth being rented.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
haahaha they talk about always getting smoked off the line. i dont think the guys at ign knew you can hold the right trigger and A to start a burnout and get a good boost of the line.

Sep 9, 2008
Thank you bpeppsshadow!! I was just thinking the same thing. I just got this and have only been beaten off the line a few times. Good call.

osmosis055

Noob
May 17, 2008
the 1.05 patch for this game improves the A.I. greatly so its definately not as hard as when the game first game out. this makes the game more fun to play becuase you arent frustrated so often

Feb 8, 2008
why would the reviewer say that this game is too hard? a reviewer can actually mark down a game because they suck at it? i just beat the game, and it wasnt really hard....no harder than dub edition

Jun 6, 2008
osmosis055 said:
the 1.05 patch for this game improves the A.I. greatly so its definately not as hard as when the game first game out. this makes the game more fun to play becuase you arent frustrated so often
Ive had the game for a while now, and ive installed the patch. For some reason i havnt noticed any difference with the AI or the difficulty in the game. I found it easy then, and still find it easy now.

BizzyBox

Noob
Apr 22, 2009
I didn't find the game hard at all. Sure the occasional tourney took more than one try to win, but I was constantly finding myself damaging out on the last race of an orange tourney after I had won the first 2 so I didn't have to spend 3 more minutes on a tourney I had already won. My experience from MC3 might've helped a bit, but I don't believe this game was over whelmingly difficult, unless you put all your wagers on the hardest difficuty, and difficulty is not something to mark a game down on, especially because with all games you get better the more you play. After 100%ing career mode, and having done over half the Goal Attack's i've never been the slightest bit frustrated (except for when you crash 300 metres from the finish line :D).

Nov 18, 2004
DJKustoms said:
mellerker121 said:
This game is too hard.

Sigh.. whats so freaking hard about the game? Nothing thats what.

I 100% agree with DJKustoms!!!

If you think this game is hard then (I almost said you're too old! LOL!!!)

No seriously, if you think this game is too hard then click on the link below:

http://boards.ign.com/midnight_club_racing/b6011/182990681/p1/?10

Sep 24, 2006
It's better to do what Chris says to unlock more stuff in this game. Just go to the Los Angeles freeway and race the highway racers. I like racing on highways in video games. It reminds me a lot like Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 3. Thanks Chris for making a good review.

Feb 13, 2010
midnight club la is a hard game. but not unreasonably so. like any experience based game, youd do better to take your time and rack up some respect points before proceeding through the story.

Feb 14, 2010
The Midnight Club Los Angeles has came to be more of a realistic game compared to the actual city of Los Angeles. The first version that came out, the graphics were explosive, very detailed, of where the signs are how the building are detailed, too and the Rockstar Games probably took satellite pictures of Los Angeles and enhanced the city of Los Angeles. As I played the game, the game started to get really challenging depending the level I choose from easiest to hardest. But the car variety wasn't that bad. 4 months later, I got the Complete Edition for the Xbox 360, and it goes on from where I left off of from the previous version, and there was a lot more than what I expected. When I started the game up, the map looked even more extended than the regular version, which was called the South Central, which should be coming out around March, but now because I have the Complete Edition, I don't need 2 separate games to complete the game. With the Complete Edition, it had the same, very explosive, awesome graphics, but had more of a variety of cars to choose from, and more challenging to play with. I'm looking forward to that Rockstar Games in another year or 2, they'll make another Midnight Club with so much detail, and how much work Rockstar Games puts into these high-tech, realistic video games. [face_peace]