Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
I guess this thread is over.
Yeah. The thread is totally over because I asked everyone to be civil.
I swear I replied to this last night, but maybe I didn't.

Anyway, I'm sorry to [URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/crow1i.5222515/']@crow1i[/URL]. I legitimately didn't mean to come off as an asshole. I felt like my posts were decent suggestions and/or questions, and I honestly didn't mean to upset you. I will refrain from offering any input in your future endeavors. The deleted post I made where I wished you well was meant to be an apology, not anything else.

KLGChaos

No Longer a Noob
Oct 9, 2001
On my second character, I've done absolutely nothing with settlements... yet. I'm waiting for the new patch to be made official. I'd like to try the beta patch because there's supposed to be a settler's menu, but because there's not script extender for the patch yet, my game just crashes every time I try to load it due to my mods. Once they update the script extender, I'll probably get around to building again. I'll be using the Homemaker and Settlement Expansion mod to build a very scientific looking base of operations using the Institute parts. :)

And how do you get Benevolent Leader? I hear you basically just have to build a ton of health clinics or something, which seems extremely weird.

Last edited:

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
I took about a week and a half off of FO4, read some books, played some StarCraft Legacy of the Void.

Day before yesterday, I started a new character in FO4, to get the achievements from the other factions, but then decided to F that and just go to a previous save on my original character.

And how do you get Benevolent Leader? I hear you basically just have to build a ton of health clinics or something, which seems extremely weird.
I used a guide, which was helpful. I did it at Red Rocket, cause it has a small "footprint". I totally built it before moving people over. I made a house area above the Red Rocket, with beds for 6 people. Covered the walls in art, chairs, tvs, radios, blah blah. You have to fully build the settlement until you can't build no mo'. I made 4 level 3 health clinics, and 1 level 3 bar. You could just do all health clinics, but I didn't want to make my people not have a bar. Plant 6 mutfruits, 2 water pumps. Make one person the farmer, the others assign to the bar/clinics. I made a bunch of heavy laser turrets going all around. I've read that the settlers prefer to have you close by, so I put everything under the awning of the Red Rocket, and then I waited. And waited. And waited. The guides I'd read seemed to think you could just set it all up and then sleep for 24 hours, but that didn't work at all. I think it has to be 24 hours of actual game time. So I ended up putting a chair right in the middle of everything, and just waited it out. Was boring AS FUCK. I got bored halfway through and wandered off and killed some stuff, which probably didn't help. I finally just made myself sit there and got my phone out and read Cracked articles while checking to make sure the settlement didn't get attacked, which did happen once.

Last edited:

KLGChaos

No Longer a Noob
Oct 9, 2001
Got the new patch. When you move your cursor over a settler, it'll show an icon that tells what they're assigned to. Very helpful.

campmatt

No Longer a Noob
Aug 19, 2003
Other fixes in Update 1.3 include stopping players from warping to a different location while aiming (hey, that sounds pretty fun too), an improved snapping system for Workshop construction, and removing the copper cost from building wires. These notes are for PC, but it looks like the only new features (not bug fixes) for console players are a menu to check the status of your settlers and the ability to rotate held objects by pressing the triggers and clicking the left thumbstick. Bethesda plans to start adding more stuff to Fallout 4 in the future, but we're still in the "fixes and obvious oversights" phase for the moment.
That copper patch sounds great, on my next game...dammit. Wonder when consoles will get it.
http://www.gamesradar.com/fallout-4-update-1-3-headless-glitch/

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Got the new patch. When you move your cursor over a settler, it'll show an icon that tells what they're assigned to. Very helpful.
Next they need to make it so you can recall all your provisioners, or at least be able to see them on the map. I've assigned a few of my Follwers because I didn't want to deal with them at the moment, and now I'm not sure where they are...

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Ok, so......I did a thing. I got inspired the other day. It's a pyramid, it's got secret tunnels, and I really enjoyed making it.

KLGChaos

No Longer a Noob
Oct 9, 2001
Had an idea to build something called "The Hexagon" where all my shops are... But unfortunately, the snapping system of the game doesn't really allow for angles. :/

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Aww, I want to have a double bed so Piper and Cait can cuddle up to me at night but I also get some space u know
Homemaker has a double bed, but I'm not sure two people can actually sleep on it. You should have Homemaker anyway, though. That and OCDecorator are the best ever.

DallasJR

Landing Guy
Jul 9, 2007
Aww, I want to have a double bed so Piper and Cait can cuddle up to me at night but I also get some space u know
Homemaker has a double bed, but I'm not sure two people can actually sleep on it. You should have Homemaker anyway, though. That and OCDecorator are the best ever.
I don't have a gaming PC... I'm on Xbone remember :(

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Alright! This is the most recent project I've been working on: Recreating my IRL home in the virtual world of Fallout 4. It's not perfect, because of course the game doesn't have everything in the same dimensions, sizing, and variaty of items that I have IRL, but I like to think this is pretty darned close.

IRL1_zpszeerzpdb.jpg

IRL2_zpsqcms7j2n.jpg

IRL3_zpsmhyexdio.jpg

IRL4_zpsqp46dx3i.jpg

IRL5_zpsb28qy1yn.jpg

IRL6_zpsbcdwwrga.jpg

IRL7_zpsmh26xyxa.jpg

BD-Slangin

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 12, 2010
I will try to get some pics up this weekend ever though it isnt anything special, but I have really been enjoying making the most out of smaller or weirdly situated settlements lately. I've mainly been putting my time into hangmans alley and jamaica plains. I always liked hangmans given the location (and I keep all followers there), but I used to hate Jamaica given that its two inaccessible buildings and two dilapidated ones, but now I love both and have more fun tinkering with them than the big open settlements.

TeflonDog

Noob
Mar 4, 2016
Alright! This is the most recent project I've been working on: Recreating my IRL home in the virtual world of Fallout 4. It's not perfect, because of course the game doesn't have everything in the same dimensions, sizing, and variaty of items that I have IRL, but I like to think this is pretty darned close.

Where did you build this? (ie: the bed, the walls, the drapes... the robes?)

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Where did you build this? (ie: the bed, the walls, the drapes... the robes?)
I built it at Sanctuary.

MCanadiens

Star
May 5, 2003
Question for all you building experts. I have a third save I just mess around with, and was wondering if you guys thing it would be able to build the Pentagon. Fiance wants me to try, and I think I could do it, just would not be as "clean" as I like it.

BD-Slangin

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 12, 2010
Question for all you building experts. I have a third save I just mess around with, and was wondering if you guys thing it would be able to build the Pentagon. Fiance wants me to try, and I think I could do it, just would not be as "clean" as I like it.

Console or PC? The main problem would be making the proper angle without the game continually trying to force you into 90 degrees.

MCanadiens

Star
May 5, 2003

Console or PC? The main problem would be making the proper angle without the game continually trying to force you into 90 degrees.

console. I had a feeling it would be difficult

aschiro

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 10, 2011
City by the Bay
My current "Loki" inspired Power Armor Museum. I keep the most epic armor on the top floor.

My building/settlement strategy has boiled down to; stairs, floors and then and beds, turrets, and of course, power armor.

Thumbnail_Large.PNG

Screenshot-Original.png

MCanadiens

Star
May 5, 2003
Saw a video on youtube about Wasteland Workshop, and it looks like they are adding a lot of new stuff (like different concrete items). Should make for some interesting new builds/updated settlements

Hordriss27

Prime Member
Sep 9, 2008
There's some fantastic stuff here. I found building stuff from scratch difficult, I couldn't seem to connect things together. Still can't fathom out how to power stuff like lights either. I think the fact I'm playing on console rather than PC is probably a factor.

I have used a couple of pre-fab structures in Sanctuary though. The main thing I've used the settlement building for so far is building a fuck-ton of water purifiers in Sanctuary so I get loads of purified water to sell, because Stimpaks and ammo don't buy themselves!

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Saw a video on youtube about Wasteland Workshop, and it looks like they are adding a lot of new stuff (like different concrete items). Should make for some interesting new builds/updated settlements
I'm really looking forward to it, I can't wait to trap a death claw. :D

There's some fantastic stuff here. I found building stuff from scratch difficult, I couldn't seem to connect things together. Still can't fathom out how to power stuff like lights either. I think the fact I'm playing on console rather than PC is probably a factor.
There should be transformer things in the power tab area somewhere, and then you have to set up wires to them from the generators.

MCanadiens

Star
May 5, 2003
Morning everyone,

you now how you can take the concrete foundations and make a wall....question, can you stack the concrete walls together like that? like one solid and second one with that three window looking thing? I have not been able to play a lot this week, so just curious.

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Morning everyone,

you now how you can take the concrete foundations and make a wall....question, can you stack the concrete walls together like that? like one solid and second one with that three window looking thing? I have not been able to play a lot this week, so just curious.
They don't autostack, But you can use the floor piece that's got the stairs in it to "force" it, I think. You could with the old foundations.

Wait, I might be not understanding your question properly, I just woke up. [face_tongue]

Last edited:

MCanadiens

Star
May 5, 2003
Morning everyone,

They don't autostack, But you can use the floor piece that's got the stairs in it to "force" it, I think. You could with the old foundations.

Wait, I might be not understanding your question properly, I just woke up. [face_tongue]

nope you understood perfectly. If I can use the floor/stair piece, that will be great. Thanks for the information.

I might redo some of my settlements to save a little room.

BD-Slangin

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 12, 2010
Morning everyone,

Just to clarify though, with your forcing it technique, you still have the gap where the floor was right? Or is it possible to stack them vertically without a gap? Also, as an aside, I have been able to stack the pillar type concrete wall vertically, but I don't believe the other walls stack like that.

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Just to clarify though, with your forcing it technique, you still have the gap where the floor was right? Or is it possible to stack them vertically without a gap? Also, as an aside, I have been able to stack the pillar type concrete wall vertically, but I don't believe the other walls stack like that.
I don't actually know, I've never done it. There's a mod that makes them snap-stackable, and so I've never had to try. The new cement ones don't auto-stack yet with that mod, though, so I'm probably going to have to try the stair method.

MCanadiens

Star
May 5, 2003
So I finally got to use the concrete walls. When I used them alone, I ended up having issues with the roof. So I found a combination of using them along with the floor foundations (either one) works out. I redid my Tempines Bluf settlement and free'd up a lot of space. Generators that took up space on the ground I was able to put "in" the wall.

Also use the new walls to fix the holes in Croup manor. Should be fun weekend

MCanadiens

Star
May 5, 2003
for anyone on, settlement question, Graygarden. Do I need to assign beds to the robots? having problem with happiness at that settlement

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
for anyone on, settlement question, Graygarden. Do I need to assign beds to the robots? having problem with happiness at that settlement
I made sure I had enough beds for them, because they do count, but you don't need to assign them.

MCanadiens

Star
May 5, 2003
I made sure I had enough beds for them, because they do count, but you don't need to assign them.

Thanks Sertith. My settlement happiness was about 70-75 and I was okay with that, and next thing you know it was like 54. I even think a robot got lost (or maybe even dead)...there are only five total, along with three of my settlers.

I thought the pre-existing settlers (robot or human) could not die, but I have seem to lost quite a few of them around my settlements.

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Thanks Sertith. My settlement happiness was about 70-75 and I was okay with that, and next thing you know it was like 54. I even think a robot got lost (or maybe even dead)...there are only five total, along with three of my settlers.

I thought the pre-existing settlers (robot or human) could not die, but I have seem to lost quite a few of them around my settlements.
They can definitely die, plus when they die happiness does go down. I think the only ones that couldn't die are the ones you got in Concord that end up in Sanctuary. And they can even die now, which might be new, with the Workshop DLC. I've watched videos of people killing Marcy Long. And if you have your settlers fight each other, if one dies, happiness goes down. I had a bunch go after a Deathclaw I'd caught, before I realized I needed to build a thing to "pacify" the Deathclaw, and 3 of my settlers died and my happiness rating dropped like a rock.

Last edited:

MCanadiens

Star
May 5, 2003
I guess that makes sense. Slog was just rocking along at 80 and I had equipped everyone with armor from nearby auto works and all was well. Well I seemed to have forgotten the guy (Alren?) with the Giddy up buttercup and I came back for a visit and found his body up. And as you said, that happiness meter went down fast to 50. It has taken me like 30 plus hours of playing time (not game time) to get it back up to 78

I better start arming and armoring up my people

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
I long ago gave up keeping them happy. I put in tons of food, water, defense, and beds. Mostly because I really enjoy building settlements. But I don't give a hoot about happiness.

Also, it pisses me off robots need food, beds, water.

aschiro

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 10, 2011
City by the Bay
How high ?

Thanks to a Twitch stream, I learned that there are varying height limits at settlements. I did not know that.

Thumbnail_Small.PNG

Abernathy Farm looks to be the highest- the ceiling is above the top of the high tension tower. Yes I did get power all the way up. Yes, I did drop a nice power armor suit in the penthouse.