Status
Not open for further replies.

Manitee

Noob
May 15, 2008
Anyway you cut it this reviewer doesn't know wtf he's talking about. "Can't spell ignorance without IGN."

Also: CD-key problem will be fixed soon according to EA. Sit tight kiddies.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
DRM? lol I wont be buying this because its the same rehashed shit for the sixth time in a row. Battle for middle earth, BFME2, BFME2:RotWK, C&C3, C&C3:KW, and finally the coup de grace to what was once my favorate series, Red Alert 3.

No thanks guys, ill just lol @ it from a distance thanks very much.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
Empire total war will be the RTS game to get.
Rome Total war owned, Medievil Total War owned and yes EMPIRE total war will own. Command and conquer Generals was ok, the old command and conquer was great , but bla bla they need to re-invent the wheel in a better way than this. + Starcraft 2 is coming. Other games just do it better now unfortunately. World in Conflict aswell Surpremem Commander. Hell even Black and white 2 did something more interesting than this.

Nov 20, 2005
The reviwer is doing the game justice.. Play it first. than come back and actually play it. Dont just boot it up.. Acutally play a game.. Play a skrimush.. Actually better yet play the allance and have one Russian computer AI on meduim..... The First thing they will do is send an apc to scout. about 30 Secs later they will swarm your base with chain-hooks... The flying helios that for what ever reason have both Miniguns and rockets.... Yea than te computer sends over about 8 of them and no matter how many anti air units or sites you have he seems to take everything out.. Now this is crap and on top of that EA has no suport.. They just tell you to call back later.. I wont be buy anymore RTS games from them.

Aug 15, 2005
lasting appeal is a 7.5??? it deserves a 8.5 atleast cus the multiplayer is so good. and the campaigns will take you atleast a good 15 hours to complete. how can games like deadspace(which is awesome) get a higher lasting appeal with no multiplayer. ign should set certain standards while reviewing. anyways this game is a 9/10 for me. red alert was the first rts game i ever played and this brings back those awesome memories. couldnt ask for anythin more. thanks ea.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
your whining over the score??! maaaaaan i lack the words to describe what a moron you are to be relying on a numerical manifestation of opinion. Boy you must really enjoy getting flamed to be talking like that.

barbaBB

Noob
Jun 3, 2008
i m plying the game and i love it..BUT i have a quest...i dont get waves on the sea..do you think that my grac card doesnt have what it takes to create waves..its ati x800GT 256GDDR3 and i can play the game on 1600x1200 with everything on ultrahigh..drivers are updated..or maybe it is a bug? or crack who doesnt work?

vasilcho

Noob
Apr 10, 2005
yet another unbiased review, gz IGN. that piece of crap doesnt even deserve 5. impressive movies, srsly? gameplay? anything you want to say about balance or EA doesnt allow to speak about it?:)

Plezbo

Noob
Oct 3, 2005
Im only into the Soviet Campaign so far, but things are looking good. If you arent a fan of the series, you may not enjoy the departure from reality that the game takes, especially with this rendition. Units are much more sci-fi than even before, but the game retains the campy fun that it has always survived on. Plus, come on, who can beat "while you were distracted the enemy has thrust deep into the tender nether regions of our motherland" ? Can't wait to actually get good at the game and take it for a spin online.

adesind777

Noob
Aug 9, 2008
i did think i was going to like it more to be truth full i would rather play C&C generals its fun but not as good as the rest of the games

SJimbo

Noob
Oct 30, 2008
I have to agree with vasilcho, I was in on the Beta and had a go at each of the 3 factions, when the Beta was over I realized that this was one C&C game that I was not going to waste my money on.
From the horrible attempt at the grid based build style, to the (what I see as) lazy use of many RA2 sounds and music, imo EA just has no idea what makes a true C&C game anymore.

mr_peabody

Noob
Mar 29, 2002
Hold on people.
I can't believe what I'm hearing.
I've been a fan of C%C since it began, and I'm a rts addict, so try to take my opinion as decently experienced.
This game is so much more fun then what the review and all these comments are making it seem.
I've played for about ten hours right now and so far I've concluded it to be better than generals.
I can't say it's better than the originals but that may be due to the originality of the originals at their time of release.
But I ensure you, that this game is at least in the ranks of recent and decent rts games including BFME 2 and Age of Empires 3. Notice how I didn't mention recent rts games that are unique. Now that is the key word.
RA3 is not unique. But it is almost as fun and as good as any "classic" rts you'll find. I can only think of 2 classic rts games that would succeed RA3 - Starcraft and Warcraft 3. They are the best of the genre when it comes to the "classic" rts realm.
Considering RA3 is new, I would much rather play it now than RA2.
This almost seems like a strange rant, but I'm just trying to tell people that it is worth playing through if you still find pleasure in the "classic" genre.
And don't even try to compare this to C&C 3 - this is, by far, much better.
EA has done a good job, and bashing RA3 because it was made by EA is simply disrespectful to Westwood and the C&C series. The game is great.
However, I have to say the A.I. is still in the same idiot barrel as A.I. in BFME 2 and AOE 3 and whatever game you want to add to that list.
Plus I've found this game a little too easy on hard.
Although I haven't played a skirmish with A.I. yet, so perhaps it will prove to be a better (and maybe a smarter) challenge.

SirLemming

Noob
Apr 4, 2002
"I have to agree with vasilcho, I was in on the Beta and had a go at each of the 3 factions, when the Beta was over I realized that this was one C&C game that I was not going to waste my money on.
From the horrible attempt at the grid based build style, to the (what I see as) lazy use of many RA2 sounds and music, imo EA just has no idea what makes a true C&C game anymore."

Dude, that was just the beta. They aren't re-using music and some of the voices (I haven't seen all of them yet) have been changed.

With this kind of attitude, maybe companies will stop letting the public beta test their games.

Dr_Frodo

Noob
May 8, 2007
"7.5 Lasting Appeal
The campaigns and cutscenes will provide a fair amount of playtime, but you'll need to rely on multiplayer if you intend to keep playing the game after that."

Erm.... flawed logic?
Aren't pretty much all games like this nowadays? Besides, you should know that most RTS gamers play skirmish followed by multiplayer anyway..... silly IGN.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
@ mr_peabody..

experienced RTS player? Why are you talking about a bad A.I. then. As an experienced RTS player (sounds gay btw) you should know that Multiplayer keeps these games on track, not the A.I.

btw I also think that 7,5 lasting appeal isn't right. Red Alert 1 is still considered the best and most-playable RTS games in history, so this one can't be far off.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
Rome TOTAL WAR or the TOTAL WAR series, is my favourite by far. Command and conquer yes im sure its the same old fun of building lots of structures then building lots of troops. Then Building more structures and building even MORE troops over and over and over again will probably be fun. But EMPIRE TOTAL WAR is going to feed my strategy palet alot better than this rehashed comic version of command and conquer.

WDelucce

Noob
Aug 21, 2006
Personally, I think the game is quite fun.

It's not extremely innovative (granted, it has a few new things like building on water, but nothing groundbreaking) but who ever said that old-school RTS can't be fun?

The question: Does it live up to Red Alert 2? No. Because once you've played Red Alert 2, it's not new anymore. The giant squids and dolphins in Red Alert 2 were a "cool!" sortof thing. But it has gone extremely over the top now, and you really lose the "Duty" feeling. The feeling where you feel good when you have saved/conquered the lives of many innocent women and children. The game is too silly, and while it is heaps of fun, it is not going to go down into the hall of fame like Red Alert 2, Tiberian Sun, and others.

fleshbits

Noob
Oct 4, 2001
I wonder how much money EA spent buying off reviewers?

After seeing IGN gave this a 8.2 and having played it myself. I guess I can't trust IGN anymore.

1) This game looks worse than some of the games I have on my shelf from 2002. It is absolutly horrid.
2)You can't stay online in the lobby for more than 2 minutes without getting disconnected.
3) The units are the same old rock paper scissors.
4) They took away tiberium which yields even less strategy now that you don't have to protect harvesters and transport resources around

Maybe they gave it 8 points for having a poster of chicks in mini skirts to wank off to.

Shafron

Noob
Nov 21, 2008
EA prity much keeps doing the same thing, filling up games with nice looking visual content, and forget the important part of the game the actual gameplay.
basically this is a crapy attempt to remake/revive red alert series. In my opinion they need to expand the battlefield and add more options to kill the enemy, i almost end up killing the enemy sameway everytime.

Paradox : Chronosphere was invented by Einstein, so tell me how the hell it ended up on the new red alert???

ManinaSuit

Prime Member
Jul 15, 2006
Red Alert 3 is a fun game, C&C 3 was fun but the mixture of all the elements of land sea and air is what makes RA3 standout and better then C&C3. And stop complaining about the way it looks it a different style then most RTS games, and It looks good, dont hate the game because u dont like the way it looks.

"Empire's dire lack of sea-based antiaircraft" They need to fix this, the only reason I can see y they didnt put one in is the fact that the Empire is strong then any other faction at sea in brute strength. (HATE THOSE TWINBLADES)

Shafron

Noob
Nov 21, 2008
i didnt complane about its looks i sad just sad they focused too much on the visuals instead of the gameplay.

What u mean Empire? Empire of the rising sun? They got a sea-based AA vessel/aircraft, its a sea-based AA sub that can also jump in the air and fly, how come u havent noticed this? The unit selections in the game arent so big.

P.S Focus!

jersy56

Noob
Dec 13, 2008
my friend has the game and i'v played it too itz aswome way better than C&C3 kanes wrath or tiberium wars

matthewpf

Noob
Jan 6, 2009
NOT NEAR AS GOOD AS RA1 OR RA2. EA DID A STUPID THING WHEN THEY GOT RID OF WESTWOOD STUDIOS! YEAH, IT HAS BETTER GRAPHICS, BUT THE WHEN THE GRAPHICS WENT UP THE GAME PLAY WENT DOWN, WAY DOWN. TRY AGAIN EA. WESTWOOD STUDIOS DID A MUCH BETTER JOB! PERIOD.

quietburn

Noob
Oct 27, 2007
I share similar sentiments that i cannot agree with a number of this new editor's reviews (and even changes to the site after him coming on board replacing Dan Adams last year). Really hope IGN will not be adversely affected.

Oct 18, 2008
What are you guys complaining about? They've made the factions more diverse with units and abilities as well as how each faction set up buildings and tech up. EALA also removed all that mind control crap for the Soviets replacing Yuri's faction with a much more interesting faction in the form of the Empire. Both the air and naval units have been expanded considerably to become central to the gameplay instead of just a sidenote. C&C's gameplay has finally evolved a bit.

Slyferus

Noob
Jul 14, 2008
One of the most underrated RTS... I love this game. It'll hold me till Starcraft 2 though... After that, all RTS need to stand aside...

nic_nytro

Noob
Feb 17, 2009
i really loved red alert one,i played it and command and conquer for over 2 years solid running up a huge phone bill(before broadband)in fact i just played it again recently,the gameplay is amazing,it makes you feel really involved.you want to build lots of tanks and send them straight into the lions den

unfortunatly red alert 3 is nothing like that,its like c&c generals and tiberian wars.nice to look at but sluggish and unresponsive,so colourful it gets confusing and unrealistic.
unfortunatly in recent years game developers have been under huge pressure to up the graphics to compete with the rest of the crowd forgetting about the most important thing.

gameplay!!!

i was bored after 15 minutes

i didnt feel part of the game,more like i was watching a sprawling mess of colours , my brain gave up.
sorry EA youve done it again

but heres something you are good at:

taking fantastic games and making them mediocre

please bring back westwood!and bullfrog!those were independant companys with a creative pulse,not corporate all for profit men in suits

Jun 20, 2006
I don't know what it was about this that mad me SO dissapointed about this but it just made me angry. I just believe that when the C&C series came out with there tree trilogies going to GENEREL'S, red alert 1,2,& 3, and tiburian. i just think one of the major things that seperated them was the graphics and how they show certain groups of troups! I loved the style of the first Star Craft which i hope continues and excited for 2, hopefully not a let down. And the second red alert along with it's expansion! I just thought it was stupid to dip into different graphic styles I really wanted the Red Alert 2 graphics where it really makes you feel like your controlling something other than a childs toy like in the new RA3! Also you can make an actual military reighn! Although time consuming I felt more powerful building hundreds of units' whether mirage tanks, or apocalyptica tanks and send every last one of the forces in where in this new one you can send 2 units and that do the same thing! HELL just nuke em!

Was a bad game and if i could return it I would!

ashisbest

Noob
Jun 13, 2009
i have never been so disapointed with a game i liked comand and concouar 3 tiberium wars for xbox 360 if they did one of them for ps3 it wud be the best ever game made the graphics are better on that than they are on this one it just luks like a updated megadrive game very dissapointed 4/10

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
Major disappointment. You don't notice it at first but the game has been stripped down of features compared to the previous versions of the game. Note you dont mine ore anymore and now you literally just have a truck moving to/from a mine which is right infront of the refinery. note the lack of anything really new as far as vehicles and buildings go. They said they killed Einstein but we still have the prism tower.

I love their use of Tim Curry, but most or all of the other actors kinda suck. Their lines seem really cheesy for the most part. Note the goofy US president at the end of the soviet campaign. They also tried to buy points by putting beautiful women in skin tight outfits throughout the game. I really prefer it when they limit that to one or two characters like Red Alert 2.

I will say that they utilized some interesting game mechanics when implementing it on the consoles, but the AI and everything else seemed extremely rough. I am not sure whats my fault and whats theres, but they fact that I still haven't figured out the proper ways of doing a lot of this stuff is evidence in itself of a problem.

Katene13

Noob
Mar 27, 2011
I'm not argueing, i'm just giving a review to whoever enough patient to read this far.
1) Don't judge the game if you haven't play skirmish yet. Campaign's easy or normal just let you to do whatever to win, no matter your tactics.
2) You're gonna die instantly in this game using tankrush. Rising sun's chopper, allies' vindicator and soviet's twinblade will destroy all your tanks (no matter the

number) in less than 30 seconds. The only choice for you to counter air force is to build airforce yourself or a number of anti-air units. Anti-air is divided to

vehicles and infantry, you shouldn't rely on infantry because they're easily crushed by tanks. And all anti-air airforce just is availaible a bit later, they're

vulnerable to anti-air vehicles themselves but magnificient to deal with other airforces.

3) You're gonna die instantly in this game using techrush. If you rush soon without building some forces to at least defend, your opponent would expand fast and

outweigh you in resources, which enables them to tech ultrafast, and you'll be finished in 10 minutes. If you tech without expanding, you'll not have enough to defend

expansions and will die the same way. And, the most fascinating about RA3, is that T3 units are not invincible, at all. They're just moving fortresses without ability

to anti-air, and the best choice to crush them, is to build airforce, but not to counter them by T3 units themselves (you can, in some cases, but it's not the best

way). You can tech to T3 and crush your opponent's buildings, but if you don't have enough resources (funded by expansions), you're not gonna get enough forces to

defend T3 units against enemy airforce (no T3 units is anti-air). Just 5 or 6 T3 units are not enough, they'll be crushed instantly - repeat, instantly - by airforces,

as the battle in RA3 happens ultrafast. 12 mirage tanks (T3) (24000 ores) of Allies will be crushed by 6 twinblades (T2) (6000 ores) of Soviet in less than 30 seconds.

This game is just perfectly balanced between airforces, navy and land, and if you don't advance really far into it, you'll not realize.

Gevergiz

Noob
Jan 6, 2011
The game on land feels to cartoonish but on water it looks pretty nice, Hardcore fans would deffs be expecting more realistic graphics, overall fair game I gotta say, if you play multiplayer

EvanKing17

Noob
Jun 19, 2011
I am really dissapointed with this game. I much prefer Red Alert 2, and it takes up less room on my computer...

The women aren't bad, but they don't make up for a bad game. Sorry EA, stick to Sports, and The Sims (although you sort of ruined that franchise too, but we won't talk about that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.