Migrating domain (example.com) from 1 google cloud DNS account to another

Hello colleagues.
I'm planning to transfer a domain (example.com) from one Google Cloud DNS (account 1) to Google Cloud DNS (account 2)
I would like this migration to go seamlessly and during the preparation process I had some questions:
1. If the name servers for account 1 and account 2 are the same and are registered on the current hoster, what happens if I add example.com to account 2, will this affect the zone that will be in account 1?

2. Can you advise best practices for migrating example.com zone from Google Cloud DNS (account 1 ) to Google Cloud DNS (account 1 )?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Solved Solved
1 4 98
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Tosteeer great question.

If I understand your question correctly what you are trying to achieve is move an existing public cloud dns zone from one project to another. In this case, when you create such zone under the second project (given the domain is exactly the same) it will be created on a different set of name servers. 

See here it reads

A new managed zone of a domain, for example **domain.example.tld**, 
cannot be assigned to a shard if any of the following already 
exists on the same shard:

- A managed zone with the same DNS name, such as **domain.example.tld**
<...>

Hope it helps with your planning.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hey @Tosteeer great question.

If I understand your question correctly what you are trying to achieve is move an existing public cloud dns zone from one project to another. In this case, when you create such zone under the second project (given the domain is exactly the same) it will be created on a different set of name servers. 

See here it reads

A new managed zone of a domain, for example **domain.example.tld**, 
cannot be assigned to a shard if any of the following already 
exists on the same shard:

- A managed zone with the same DNS name, such as **domain.example.tld**
<...>

Hope it helps with your planning.

Hi, AI.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction
I will take a look at the link and hope to find more detailed information on my question.

No problem, please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Hello AI.

Thank you very much,  this article you posted earlier is exactly what I was looking for. I found all the answers.