Logo Platform
logo amplifiers simplified

Research too quick!

Copied to clipboard!
3 years ago
Aug 26, 2021, 7:06:00 PM

I am researching tech way too quickly to enjoy the game fully. A way to Era lock or adjust the cost of technology is a must!

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 26, 2021, 11:27:33 PM

I agree, but it's only too quick when you are big. There needs to be some kind of scaling because in my last game (3rd from hardest) I was on the moon before the AI got steam power... all because I rushed the 2 AIS near me on my continent, so had nearly the whole thing to myself, then got to the New World first. All the land = more pop = more scientists... clearly that is not how the world works, or India and China would have tech 500 years ahead of what we have today. Science needs to scale to population, and be slower overall.  

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 27, 2021, 5:50:11 AM

"all because I rushed the 2 AIS near me on my continent "

Well, you managed to put yourself in a good spot, how would you be astonished from that ?

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 27, 2021, 8:33:18 PM

For me it feels like researching one tech gives too many new things at once. From one tech, you may get a new unit, new building, a new civic, and maybe more. That could be easily split up, so that you only get one or two things from a tech, adding 30 or 40 more techs to research. 

0Send private message
3 years ago
Aug 27, 2021, 9:41:39 PM

I don’t feel that it is too high in general. Especially since there is an era block. My first game I started in classic with the Zhou due to lots of mountains in my area. I got so much science! But when all the techs of classic were researched, no more research was possible until next era. Science points? Lost. The game ended due to max turns. I started no wars and perhaps I just missed some opportunities to expand even without war… The point is that in the end my empire was not that big. All in all I think this is not a question of too much science but of difficulty balancing. On low difficulty it is easy to expand greatly and therefore achieving high science score. On high difficulty it should simply be hardly possible to expand that much. 

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 26, 2022, 8:23:56 PM

I don't think quick research can be a problem, it's worse when it's not there at all. Even since school we know that the stronger the progress, the faster the development of the world and culture. I think we subconsciously think it's strange when things are going well as such mental pressure. I wrote a paper on this subject but it was not related to the game but to life, if you are interested it is on https://writix.com/essay-examples/mental-illness in the public domain. It's very hard to rebuild your body and stop thinking something is wrong.

Updated 2 years ago.
0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 26, 2022, 10:25:00 PM

I think eras should last a little bit more. Maybe make all science a little more expensive. Also, more stars to advance. Not 7 stars, maybe 15 stars are needed to advance.

0Send private message
2 years ago
Jul 26, 2022, 11:33:10 PM

While I'm not sure I would like to make science more expensive, I do sure don't want to change the number of stars. 

1. I see no one going up with 7, so it is not an issue. 
  2. I like having the choice.
  3. I fear some players might get a bit stuck (what if you get easily 3 scientific stars but won't fight, can't expand, possess to few cities to grab a lot of agrarian, influence, money and builder stars? Would you just waste your research which is the only thing going for you?)
0Send private message
?

Click here to login

Comment