Orbit Lines shader fix for AMD 6000 graphic cards

I'm pretty sure I'm running ED under Vulcan instead of Proton on my HTPC. I haven't taken the time to integrate Proton into Lutris yet.

That may be why ED won't run at all for me with these files in place.

This makes lines to look better AND removes FPS drops on Nvidia RTX-3050 / Linux/Proton too.
Super thanks. Finally I have smooth flight again, first time in last couple years :D, does not drop below 100 fps in cruise.
Without this fix it is constant 35 - 95 -35 - 95.

Last edited:
So, this shader fix for can improve the performance even on a Nvidia card? I never noticed bad orbit line rendering on my Nvidia card, but the framerate drops sound familiar.
But how did you get this fix to work with Proton? I feel like I'm missing something obvious but essential. Could it be a distro thing, which one do you use?

So, this shader fix for can improve the performance even on a Nvidia card? I never noticed bad orbit line rendering on my Nvidia card, but the framerate drops sound familiar.
But how did you get this fix to work with Proton? I feel like I'm missing something obvious but essential. Could it be a distro thing, which one do you use?
Just standard steam with own runtime. On my arch linux I can install using system runtime or own runtime. Proton experimental. Launch string from the protonDB site, they have couple nice suggestions there to experiment.
Then you copy DLLs from 1 archive from 1st post to where exe is, then another 2 text files from other archive. And it works.

Orbit lines were "shaken" at 0 or 90 angle, with fix they just gone invisible instead - that is most difference you can notice and some other minor.

Also some other improvements. My standard test is login on carrier, exit ship, walk whole carrier, back to ship - 90% cases it will be 30 fps down from 140 until cruise or relog. Now I keep steady around 70. Maybe because of this fix or just something else was updated.

If 3Dmigoto is running for you then it will be NO option "checkerboard rendering" in settings.

Last edited:
Actually it was already baked in the the EDHM UI app I asked in their discord channel, so if you have it is automatically fix this issue!
Ah yes, i've seen your message :)
The EDHM zip file contains all the shaders. And the EDHM UI app install that zip file (also manage themes and 3rd party plugins).

So when i did that orbit lines fix, we choose to add it in EDHM and also release it here (for people that don't use EDHM).

Last edited:
FWIW, the game would only run with the OPs orbit lines mod in place after I added PROTON_DISABLE_NVAPI=1 %command% to the steam launch options (linux/proton/AMD 6700XT). Without which the game would exit soon after being started.
Sadly, the orbit lines would disappear and reappear depending on their position relative to the camera. Probably a linux or driver specific issue.

EDHM also worked with the above env var set, but I haven't tried the UI yet.
Sadly both wine and EDHM infllct a sizable performance penalty which when combined could be as high as 20% (or so I've read) so I'll probably stick with FDevs' Del boy Trotter UI matrix method, but it's interesting to see EDHM in action.

For me I cannot get EDHM to work properly - there seems to be an improvement but it's still messy... kind of killing the immersion for me to have the orbital lines still fizzle and break up...

@Deal: Could you clarify a bit and link to the "FDevs' Del boy Trotter UI matrix method" - I would like to test that... thanks!

Hi MrVaad,

Thank you for this fix. I have a question about banding effects on other thin vertical and horizontal lines in any given scene. I was going to include a video, but I can't get any videos or images to upload right now.

I think game is shading the edges of objects, but it doesn't do it uniformly when the edge is of a very thin line. I don't know if that is the anti-aliasing or a shader. I was skeptical that it was anti-aliasing because when I stop moving the camera and an edge of a very thin line is at a gentle slope of about 25 degrees and since I am no longer moving the camera, everything comes to a freeze. All the shimmering of the edges stops.

I can observe that the thickness of a thin line is uniform for a significant distance, like 1 inch on my screen, and then there will be a stretch of about 1/2 inch where the thickness of the line is reduces. I am saying the thickness is reduced, but it could be that the shader is doing more or less in that stretch.

Well, a picture would have been worth a thousand words. Maybe I can add something later to a new post so you get a notify.

Hi , i have RX 6600 i put all the files in the game folder but nothing happen ! can you explain more how to install this mod plz !

Last edited:
Hi , i have RX 6600 i put all the files in the game folder but nothing happen ! can you explain more how to install this mod plz !

There are two steps to unzip the files, did you do the second?

Uncompress the zip file (in attachment) in the same Elite folder as before. You should have :
  • A new file "d3dx.ini"
  • A folder called "shaderfixes" (with a text file inside it, that's the fixed shader itself).

i copier the d3dx.ini and shaderfixes to the game folder . i dont understand what you mean with ( in attachment )
Sorry but i try this in other games the flickering lines still exist :!

Top Bottom