Movies are dumbing down science, along with everything else

Status
You're currently viewing only onkeljonas's posts. Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.
Not open for further replies.

onkeljonas

Ars Tribunus Angusticlavius
<blockquote class="ip-ubbcode-quote">
<div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div>
<div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zorneatsham:<br>Aren't there copyrights involved with using existing (commercial) OSes in movies? That wouldn't stop filmmakers from using some tasty shots of a character using a Gnome or KDE desktop, right? </div>
</blockquote>More likely the OS company aren't paying enough, and if there is one thing Hollywood producers hate it is giving anyone free publicity.<br><br>I think it is silly to blame something as fundamentally <i>not</i> real as a superhero movie like Superman for misrepresenting reality. I also doubt that natural science gets the worst treatment – the humans in these kinds of movies rarely act like the real thing.<br>That's not to say it has no merits, and at the very least it is great fun -- View image here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif --<br><br>Anyways, the biggest immersion killer to me is when the natural laws of the protayed universe apparently exist solely to provide dramatic effect for random heroes. I can believe that the almost-unlimited-ammunition-weapon runs out, that something otherwise not very explosive (like a car) blows up in a gigantic explosion etc. – but when it does so at a time and in a way that is so obviously only for the benefit of the viewer I cringe.<br>It is sort of the same thing when MovieOS can do anything at all fully automatically, unless there is a Countdown of Doom™ – in which case even the simplest of tasks require so many obscure commands (and distracting visual effects) that it doesn't finish untill just before the timer hits 0.<br><br>Oh yea... nitpick of the century award goes to:<br><blockquote class="ip-ubbcode-quote">
<div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div>
<div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Though the crew quarters in the spaceship Discovery are arranged in a rotating wheel to simulate gravity, the wheel's short radius would require many RPM (5-10 RPM, depending on the actual radius) to produce Earth-like gravity. In the film, the centrifuge rotates at about 3 RPM (once every 20 seconds). </div>
</blockquote>
-- View image here: http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif --

Upvote
0 (0 / 0)
Status
You're currently viewing only onkeljonas's posts. Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.
Not open for further replies.