The_Amazon

Noob
Mar 7, 2014
Hi everyone, like the title says, what's your favorite game soundtracks? I have a big collection of retro and current game soundtracks I'm trying to build. I would like some suggestions; need new music material. My all time favorites are Chrono Trigger, Castlevania: SOTN, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master, Soul Blade (Arcade), Ninja Gaiden I, II, III, Toe Jam and Earl, Sunset Riders (Arcade), Mario 64, Ghostbusters (Genesis), Einhander.

Yeah I'm a big nerd, but I've grew up playing these games and it takes me back whenever I revisit these songs. I usually rip soundtracks from games, but there's a nice list on Spotify. Thanks everyone!!!

gencid

Termina Moon Society
Sep 10, 2000
Clock Tower
I am going to list a bunch in release order:
  • Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
  • Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
  • F-Zero
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Parodius
  • Super Turrican
  • Super Metroid
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Illusion of Time
  • Castlevania: Bloodlines
  • Super Mario 64
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of the Liberty
  • Devil May Cry
  • Metroid Prime
  • Pikmin
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
  • Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
  • Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Rez
  • God of War
  • God of War 2
  • Dante's Inferno
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Smash Bros Brawl
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Assassin's Creed II
  • Super Stardust HD
  • Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition
  • Halo 2
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Kirby & The Rainbow Curse
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Hyrule Warriors
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Death Stranding

lwfym

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 10, 2013
The Parasite Eve series is my top for sure. Max Payne 2 and Maken X come close though.

SourSauce

Noob
Mar 26, 2020
Nothing for me shall ever replace the sweet, jazzy tones and melodies of Akari Kaida and Yoshino Aoki's musical masterpiece that is Breath of Fire 3.

The Parasite Eve series is my top for sure. Max Payne 2 and Maken X come close though.
Parasite Eve 1 & 2 for the PSone! Those games were so awesomely well-written and fun. And can I say I'm in love with that avatar? I'm a HUGE fan of GTA 3.

lwfym

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 10, 2013
Parasite Eve 1 & 2 for the PSone! Those games were so awesomely well-written and fun. And can I say I'm in love with that avatar? I'm a HUGE fan of GTA 3.

Thank you! I loved everything about the first two Parasite Eve games. GTA 3 is also one of my all time favorites and I loved the promotional art they had for the game!

GenralMaximus

No Longer a Noob
Sep 17, 2001
I genuinely can't decide. I started writing then realised it would be an essay. We have been blessed with incredible music in gaming, since the very start. Also, ditto EconomicFish those two titles are definitely near, if not at, the very top--the DK games in particular!

Nemesis_7

Noob
Apr 11, 2020
Neverland
Diablo 2 and HOMM5

There's other greats like all the Nobuo Uematsu (FF7 ofc), Hitoshi Sakimoto, Motoi Sakuraba stuff,
and why not even Transport Tycoon, gotta love that one.. besides FF7, they're the best MIDI files ever written.

But you know, somehow nothin can beat D2 & H5 in memorability..

gsilver

Star
Sep 6, 2000
Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 are definitely up there. I remember frequently leaving the games on just to listen to the music.

Nights into Dreams/|Christmas Nights was another favorite of mine. I listened to those CDs so many times. One of the best perks of the Saturn was that the game disks often doubled as soundtrack CDs.

Other notables are the Silent Hill series and Donkey Kong Country

Dante-

Mod Trigger
★ MOD
Mar 25, 2009
Red Grave City
Final Fantasy VII. I would say FFVIIR because a lot of the new versions are incredible but the OG FFVII still has more great tracks that haven't been recreated yet. Also I do just love the sound and feel of the OG versions.

Max19

Noob
Apr 29, 2020
Final Fantasy X.
Lineage II.
Pokémon Crystal Version.
Pokémon Red Version.
Ragnarok Online.
Sonic the Hedgehog.
Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES).
Super Smash Bros. Melee.

My very favourites.

PARAM0RE

Noob
May 1, 2020
Saints Row 2 that game literally had songs to fit everyone's taste whether it was Classic Rock hits, Modern Rock hits, Hip hop or metal or really anything in between Saints Row 2 had it! Nothing beats going around on a rampage jamming to "Misery Business".

D

Deleted member 96560150

Original poster
Too tough to narrow to one but a couple of my favorites off the top of my head:
-Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3
-Mega Man X
-Road Rash
-F-Zero GX

pwwblade

Day 1 Veteran, July '00
Jul 31, 2000
I hope and expect this is a giant FF7 and Ocarina celebration thread.

KrayonBytr

Noob
Aug 26, 2022
Don't know but Tony Hawk Pro Skater should probably be on any specified top list for soundtracks.

KrayonBytr

Noob
Aug 26, 2022
Am I the only one, or does Mike Shinoda need to voice cast a video game protagonist? Please someone make this happen. I've got $$$ in hand ready to order this!

1CreditBlades

Almost Not a Noob
Sep 12, 2020
Ao Island
Boy is there a whole lot. Here's 10 I really like:
  • Batsugun
  • Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony
  • Crypt of the NecroDancer
  • The Great Ace Attorney 1&2
  • Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection
  • Ketsui
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZeroRanger
  • Windjammers
  • ESP Ra.De.

JameParker

Noob
Jun 28, 2023
That's really hard question. As I remember for me, is Mission Impossible, Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid, Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 4 theme, and I don't remember any.

My opinion is that it's hard to believe that the game's iconic theme has been around for more than 25 years after the premiere of Mission: Impossible (1996). I'm always motivated to play the game because it has the ideal balance of tension and thrill.