BushRaptor15

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 20, 2013
Australia
I was born in 1998 and and grown up during the 00's and the early 10's throughout the those decades there has been some good songs but after 2011 the music is so so terrible.
Now a few years ago I started listening to old rock thanks to my best friend, who's also into rock.
Now I love rock, those rock greats such as AC/DC, inxs, Queen, Rolling Stones, Led zeppelin, Pinkfloyd, Metallica Men at work.
Music now a days is all this electro dance crap. The music is point less and talentless. People who make this music, will make millions because the youth of today is all wow this is cool. But nope I have a few friends who are still into old music.

Now it is probably just personal taste but I believe future generation should have decent music, no dance music unless at a dance club. But then there is just plain bad music such as JB and 1D, both make crap music.

Now what do you think, is music getting worse and what will it be like in a decade? Or is it just a thing and will fade away?

May 2, 2013
Damn. I said the exact same thing, when we entered the 90s (born in 1977). It was bad already then, but it just keeps getting worse...

Kingly

Super Star
Feb 21, 2014
Europe but not the EU - SMH
I was born in 1998 and and grown up during the 00's and the early 10's throughout the those decades there has been some good songs but after 2011 the music is so so terrible.
Now a few years ago I started listening to old rock thanks to my best friend, who's also into rock.
Now I love rock, those rock greats such as AC/DC, inxs, Queen, Rolling Stones, Led zeppelin, Pinkfloyd, Metallica Men at work.
Music now a days is all this electro dance crap. The music is point less and talentless. People who make this music, will make millions because the youth of today is all wow this is cool. But nope I have a few friends who are still into old music.

Now it is probably just personal taste but I believe future generation should have decent music, no dance music unless at a dance club. But then there is just plain bad music such as JB and 1D, both make crap music.

Now what do you think, is music getting worse and what will it be like in a decade? Or is it just a thing and will fade away?

Music is culture it changes with time .
The 1960s they had a different style / culture and they has different music. Music changes each generation 60's 70's 80's 90's 20' 21's

There are plenty of good bands out there that exist now. They are just not 'popular' or in the Top 40 or played on the radio.

It will fade but will never die.
Boy bands will always exist aslong as teenage girls exist.

Remember the Beatles and the Rolling stones. Teenages LOVED them in the 60's. Im not comparing them to JB or 1d though. The Beatles are far Superior.

Jan 22, 2013
There are a lot of great music being made today but unfortunately it's hard to find because most of the musicians that make it to the mainstream are not very good. But there are some mainstream musicians that are really good. If you like rock, I think the bands Jack White are in are pretty good (The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather) and The Black Keys are pretty good. You got some good rappers out today but most of the ones that get radio play are just not good.

haroldflowers

Noob
Apr 21, 2014
I was going to make a similar thread. I agree. I grew up hearing modern music, but my parents would play music from the 70s, 80s and 90s . Of recent I really started loving it. I would compare some of my favorites (Beat It, Stayin Alive, That's All, Danger Zone, etc..) to the music of now and I was surprised how much better the original music was. Will it get worse ? No. Will it get better ? I don't think so. In a decade ? Probably pretty similar. The music back then seems to have fit with the time and the music of now is more techno esque. As things get more advanced, they want 'advanced' music. I don't dislike all of it with a burning hatred, but I don't love it all that much either. If I ever really have to listen to music, I will probably stick closer to the original music. In the future, I will just have to bother less with music and more with video games to avoid any confusion.

ThePainkiller

Almost Not a Noob
May 19, 2013
United Kingdom
Underground scene is booming currently, no matter what genre. Just dig deep a bit and you'll find some gems, finding good music requires more effort nowadays but it's worth it.

Shortie861

Noob
Aug 29, 2014
England, UK
I ask myself the exact same question. I was born in 1986 and I remember the 90's and early 00's being great for music however when we started to get into the later 00's and early 10's I lost interest in any kind of new music being released and tend to go for older songs from years back. I personally feel that music producers and writers are running out of ideas for new music in which case we just seem to be getting the same kind of poop over and over again leaving nothing new and interesting to listen to. Give me the 80's, 90's and early 00's, Nickelback and Country music and I am a happy lady when it comes to music! :D

BushRaptor15

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 20, 2013
Australia
I ask myself the exact same question. I was born in 1986 and I remember the 90's and early 00's being great for music however when we started to get into the later 00's and early 10's I lost interest in any kind of new music being released and tend to go for older songs from years back. I personally feel that music producers and writers are running out of ideas for new music in which case we just seem to be getting the same kind of poop over and over again leaving nothing new and interesting to listen to. Give me the 80's, 90's and early 00's, Nickelback and Country music and I am a happy lady when it comes to music! :D
Plus no guitar solos!

cocodiaz

Noob
May 28, 2014
[/quote]I hate pretty much 99% of today's music. Nickel backs pretty good[/quote]

I used to like Nickleback too, but since Chad married Avril Livigne they just haven't been the same

vyvyan79

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 14, 2013
Look to your local music scene, get involved. There is a ton of good music out there but they can't make it because they don't pay bands anymore. I live in a spot where local music is thriving and can see a show every weekend and have fun. For those of you that enjoy Nickleback....damn I feel sorry for you.

cocodiaz

Noob
May 28, 2014
I think 'making it' isn't about making millions of dollars its more about your art getting out to an audience that appreciates what you did that should be enough, making a living out your art is great though obviously. Gotta agree with Vyvyan79, Nickleback suck

michael1187

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 20, 2014
I'm pretty young and can't stand today's pop sound. I'm more of a pop/punk/rock person and that genre is almost nonexistent today. It's a shame.

vyvyan79

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 14, 2013
There is nothing wrong with music of today. its just not you're taste in music.
Except for the fact, that the focus today is more concentrated on looks and appearance rather that actual talent.

Not if you look towards bands that are more local. The sad fact is the bands that "make" it these days are pretty horrible. If you listen to the radio, it's mostly 90's-2000's bands that get the most play. No one wants to invest in the underground music that is going on. The music industry is in a panic because it's so easy to record an album and put it out on your own. No one wants a major label backing them because, well, that usually ends up bad for the band. Support your local bands and expand your search for music online. Don't listen to what the radio feeds you. I'm surprised that radio is even on air anymore.

Branden_Lucero

No Longer a Noob
Dec 15, 2007
seems to me you are listening to the wrong music. even to this day, i ALWAYS find music i like. perhaps step away from the radio, step away from the mainstream, and discover music yourself. stop believing what the media tells you is good or bad, and you'll discover there are thousands of songs waiting to be heard.

but if you are the kind of person who only listens to maybe 1 or 2 genres of music, you are going to have a hard to finding anything then.

dethtronTV

Noob
Feb 15, 2015
Nah I prefer the the stones, never got into the beetles, I know a few of their songs.

I know this is over a year old but I just have to add my two cents..

From what I read, you misinterpreted what in fact he was saying; he wasn't comparing The Stones & The Beatles (although the comparison between the two has been an ongoing thing since 1960).. He was saying that Justin Bieber and One Direction do not compare to.. The Stones & The Beatles. If however I had to choose, it would DEFINITELY be the fab four, they are the true pioneers of Rock n' Roll, yes Rock.. Sorry Elvis.

Pyro_Jake

Noob
Dec 9, 2014
There are a few artists that are big and actually good IMO like Maroon 5. However what you'll hear on the radios will ALWAYS be like Katy Perry, Pitbull, etc. I also agree that music now is definitely on the side of electronic/made on a computer rather than physical instruments. My advice is to listen to the alternative/classic rock radio stations and that will definitely give you hope for good music nowadays lol

BushRaptor15

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 20, 2013
Australia
There are a few artists that are big and actually good IMO like Maroon 5. However what you'll hear on the radios will ALWAYS be like Katy Perry, Pitbull, etc. I also agree that music now is definitely on the side of electronic/made on a computer rather than physical instruments. My advice is to listen to the alternative/classic rock radio stations and that will definitely give you hope for good music nowadays lol
Yeah, where I live, the area has a few good radio stations, that played mostly old music.Theres a radio station that plays a blend of the two, old and new, which isn't to bad. But it's still good. It still disappoints me that music is going in that direction, and even artists that ain't in the techno genre, there music is crap and horrible, it's like they have put no effort into the song. And there albums, artists now a days focus on that one hit song, and the rest of the album is crap and horrible. Don't get me wrong, every artist has release a album where not every song is a hit and everyone loves it, but if you think of it AC/DC released Back In Black, it was amazing. Personally I have never bought the album my self but I have most of the songs, I have Back In Black, Hells Bells, Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Polluation, Shoot To Thrill, You Shook Me All Night Long.

geeeaidan

Noob
Feb 18, 2015
Well maybe try listening to music other than what the radio and television tells you to listen to..

Good blogs and sites are the best place to find good udnerground music

GQBandit

No Longer a Noob
Sep 24, 2008
Good music is out there just not heavily promoted on your radio station or in most mainstream media.

With services like Spotify and SoundCloud you just got to seek and you shall find.

INFERNO13

Noob
Mar 30, 2012
I listen to VG music then I do regular music. I don't think all current music is bad, you just have to look around and may find something good to listen to.

Jul 2, 2015
This is the same thing every kid says about music before they actually get into music. There is plenty of great music being made today, top 40 pop has always been shit. If you like Nickelback though, I don't think I can help you.

I know this is over a year old but I just have to add my two cents..

From what I read, you misinterpreted what in fact he was saying; he wasn't comparing The Stones & The Beatles (although the comparison between the two has been an ongoing thing since 1960).. He was saying that Justin Bieber and One Direction do not compare to.. The Stones & The Beatles. If however I had to choose, it would DEFINITELY be the fab four, they are the true pioneers of Rock n' Roll, yes Rock.. Sorry Elvis.

you are really overestimating the importance of The Beatles. Have you heard of Chuck Berry? Little Richard? Link Wray? Come on man.

WhiteKnight77

Super Star
May 12, 2010
Back when I was a kid growing up, top 40 and pop stations played lots of rock as well as the pop music (even if it were radio edits, often not though). Still, FM radio was where it was at with AOR (album oriented rock) stations that played the music of Zeppelin Grand Funk Railroad, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull and the like. One might hear a song that lasted 8 minutes (some even more) while others were in the 4-5 minute range compared to the 2-3 minute range for Top 40 or pop music. That allowed bands to broaden what they did with a song and allowed the expansion of the music. Also back then, bands and engineers played with how instruments were miked or where the instruments were placed (such as a second drum kit set up at Headly Grange in a hallway with a staircase that went up something like 3 floors gave more sonic umph to John Bonham's playing on top of the power he already had and mikes placed elsewhere and not in the drums themselves).

As noted, most recording is now with software and/or instruments are done electronically and engineers have no imagination and crank the bass up into overdrive. I can listen to a Live album and hear no stereo separation compared to the sonic movement of Jimi Hendrix's guitar flying all over the place in just 2 speakers and I do like Live.

Due to being able to listen to SiriusXM in rental vehicles as well as my new truck, I found that there are bands that are drawing my interest, though I haven't bought anything by them, due to listening to Ozzy's Boneyard and am even finding stuff I missed when I was younger on Deep Tracks. There are other places to find good music, just don't count on your typical radio station unless it is a college station (though even those have changed somewhat) that tends to play some new stuff (not sure is there are such in Oz or not).

Duggs26

Almost Not a Noob
Sep 11, 2012
There are still lots of great records being put out, they're just hard to find as there's so much attention on pop/chart music. Just look harder, or find some older bands which you haven't previously discovered.

CMPunkd

Noob
Mar 7, 2010
There are still lots of great records being put out, they're just hard to find as there's so much attention on pop/chart music. Just look harder, or find some older bands which you haven't previously discovered.
That's true. That's why I enjoy Satellite Radio. Without it, I wouldn't have discovered Breaking Benjamin, or Halestorm. About 3 or 4 years ago, I was hesitant about listening to new rock music, because the sound was becoming too generic. Then I took a listen to those artists I listed, and they sounded way better than what was being released at the time. And now in 2015, they are at the helm of what is being considered a resurgence of the hard rock genre.

cbthedog

Super Star
Dec 3, 2011
Space Mountain
music is pretty lame nowadays. up until 2007 i feel like music was going strong. but since then it really hasn't been that impressive. i mean i'd say the best album this decade thus far is My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and that album is a joke in comparison to albums that are the best of their decades. It's just pretty disappointing.

jawaabtii

Noob
Jul 27, 2015
"i'm only 14 years old but i hate new music because everybody is talentless and you're not allowed to like music that i don't like and i'm just going to say all new music sucks even though i don't listen to any of it or konw about any of it"
ok you kids have fun while the big boys are talking

WhiteKnight77

Super Star
May 12, 2010
The Wrecking Crew were not talentless hacks and were behind many albums and the sounds of said albums including some very big stars of the time. I would venture to say that many top names today still use session musicians including when they are on stage in a "concert" that people go to see.

Nov 20, 2015
Nashville, TN
once you reach a certain age you become nostalgic about the past. It's happened to me already. I started feeling like nothing is good anymore etc, but lets be real. I was wanting somehow there to be songs that would give me the exact same response and emotion I got when I first heard them during my younger years or to somehow make me young again and it won't happen. So they will never be "as good".

After a bit of fighting I started finding new music, new styles that I enjoy and making new memorable musical moments. It was like I was younger again. I still feel myself gravitating to older stuff, but sometimes you just have to fight it and take a chance on new stuff, enjoy where you are at instead of living in the past. I know everyone's tastes are different, you can listen to whatever you love, but I really enjoyed the Skyrim OST, Minecraft OSTs from C418 and The Xenoblade OST. All recent new musical memories made during my middle age. oh and Wood Kids album(i write this as I'm working on a cover of an Final Fantasy III song haha)

I started listening in the Grunge era then graduated to indie rock and now mostly film and game scores. But also I feel like new music culture just makes you feel out of place not part of the group. Whether you admit it or not. of course that's a quick reason to just continue to listen to the music of the past only. All this to say great music is out there, i've heard it