Bot-IGN

<marquee> Crush... Kill... Post Articles... </marq
Mar 28, 2001
Article Comments for [link=http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1149263p1.html]The Life and Death of Guitar Hero[/link]
by Arthur Gies, Brian Altano, and Charles Onyett

Summary:
In 2005, Harmonix released Guitar Hero, a music game that redefined the genre and opened the gates of plastic peripheral Hell. [link=http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1149263p1.html]Read Full Article[/link]

Jan 25, 2011
19 games in 5 years. Is there any other franchise that was over saturated? I hope this is a warming for other studios.

Dec 21, 2010
While it is a shame that the people are out of jobs, I really only need one freaking music game, and Rock Band 2 is good with me.

Feb 22, 2008
wow i never played those music games i guess now i know i'll be getting the best version because they arent going to keep releasing it every year

UKTyrant

Noob
Aug 25, 2008
IGN any word on the new squier guitar coming soon*tm - I like these games for the fact drums - teach you to drum for real..and the guitar can potentially do the same. You guys had any hands on time with it?

plusblack

Noob
Jan 11, 2011
I was done with these types of games after Rock Band 2. I'll never forget the first time I played Everlong tho, magical stuff. R.I.P.

Mithrawn

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 1, 2008
Another classic example of what flooding a market too quickly will do to a franchise. Learn from this gaming industry! I'm looking at you EA!

Dec 12, 2007
@waroftheworlds1 - yeah I got it. The "They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to wonder if they should."

Also, L0LZ.

Jun 2, 2009
Guitar Hero's death could not have come any sooner...... 1-3: Great games. World tour was good (although only played it at a friend's place) Aside from that, it is rather sad. My Rock Band 2 now has hundreds of songs, that I imported from the first, which for some reason, Guitar Hero was never smart enough to follow.....
It was simply annoying to read about new Guitar Hero games coming out. Anyways, good article, glad to see that it is FINALLY coming to an end.

ASuch

May I put my Onix in your Cloyster?
Nov 26, 2010
Ohio
@the_pocalypse: I think Call of Duty is definitely going down that road.

Rapenzie

Noob
Apr 12, 2010
Not satisfied with the Guitar Hero, DJ Hero and Tony Hawks peripherals, they are bringing us Toys! Oo

I know the premise is cool, not sure if it's going to work so well. I like the idea, let's hope they stop annual release.

antz_goose

Noob
Dec 31, 2009
Guitar hero metallica/world tour were my favourites, shame it had to die but probably a good thing it did!

ignyoing

Noob
Oct 15, 2008
god get over it
its the same damn game every year just a few diffrent songs who cares if they stop maing it you have like 7 guitar hero games to put yourself at ease

Nov 24, 2010
What's really amazing is that if you think about it, it only took em 3 years to run the Guitar Hero name to the ground, they took over it in 2007 with GH3. It's just crazy how many games they released, so glad GH3 was the last one I bought.

CaptFalcon00

No Longer a Noob
Dec 10, 2002
Look at how many games they released in 2009. That's crazy. The series could still be alive today if they kept it to one game a year but they got greedy, just like they will with Call of Duty.

W

Wayori

Original poster
Loved the World Tour comment. Guitar Hero should've died after the 360 port of GHII, despite the fact that GHIII's Knights of Cydonia is my favorite song of all GH/Rock Band games, including DLC. Hopefully this means I can play Metallica songs in Rock Band again (REALLY missing Battery in RB3).

Teccy1

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 29, 2010
Wow what a surprise, IGN continuing to making fun of Guitar Hero!

Boy I hope they do the same thing when Rock Band dies. The funny thing is, the picture will be even shorter and end up basically like this:

'Rock Band 1' - Revolutionary Music Game made by Harmonix
'Rock Band 2' - Revolutionary Music G...wait it's not that much different
'Beatles Rock Band' - Revolutionary M...hold on, all they did was add multiple singers?
'Lego Rock Band' - ...really?
'Rock Band: Green Day' - ...they want me to spend money on the same game than Beatles featuring a terrible band?
'Rock Band 3' - HOLY CRAP PRO MODE...wait, I have to buy MORE stuff to experience the new parts of the game? HOW much is the pro guitar? What the heck kind of on-disc setlist is this? Screw this, let's go play Call of Duty.

And yes, I realize this whole article was supposed to be a joke. It's a shame you forgot the 'funny' part of it.

Muldoon925

Noob
Feb 1, 2010
I cant wait until Activision does this with call of Duty. Because that is exactly what is going to happen. BAM right into the ground ala Guitar hero. These idiots just don't get it. Yeah enough people are dumb to buy this crap over and over, but eventually even they will get sick of it. The sooner COD is a subscription based FPS, the sooner it will die.

Nov 15, 2010
Im guessing this is what is going to happened to Call of Duty sometime soon. Thats what big companies like Actavision do. Developers, be your own independent company

Mar 29, 2010
how is this article a joke when its just features release dates id like to see a cod write up i remember the 1st time they whored cod for money when they realesed 'big red one'

Tabkey

Noob
Apr 17, 2004
Frankly, I saw this coming when the first GH was released. GH was never original and neither was DJ hero. People like myself who played Guitar Freaks or IIDX prior to GH coming to the market knew the whole point of GH and Dj Hero was to beat Konami in places where it failed in the US previously (namely Beatmania IIDX and Guitar Freaks), and thus never took the game seriously. By doing so, it would give activision a leg up in the music genere that Konami pretty much dominated with DDR for so long. This worked fine and well, but truth be told, they simultaneously killed themselves and Konami by oversaturating the market with the titles every year. Konami did the same with DDR in the later years, and found themselves dead in the US too.

So what is the TL;dr version of all that? Expect very little from the music genre from either now. And Rockband is probably next in terms being on the deathbed pretty soon.

RoachRIP

Noob
Nov 25, 2009
i enjoy cod and so do many many others so lay off. Its fun at times and sure they could mix things up a bit but i will buy the next one and the one after that. there is a big difference between guitar hero and cod. casual gamers thought, well, i bought that one why do i need another? with cod people with still get it to play with their friends online with new maps and guns and modes. change it just a little every time and it will just keep selling.

Feb 11, 2011
I happened to enjoy all the GH games (the only one I didn't play was GH5. I went out and got Warriors of Rock the day it came out because I thought it had the best soundtrack to date. It had lots of death metal which is great. and the best song ever Bohemian Rhapsody. I also liked all the upgrades you got in the story. I thought that game was great had a blast with it. Don't know why IGN hates it so bad. Sad to see the series go but hopefully Activison can now focus more on making the Tony Hawk series good again!