Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot-IGN

<marquee> Crush... Kill... Post Articles... </marq
Mar 28, 2001
Article Comments for [link=http://movies.ign.com/articles/112/1129489p1.html]The Hobbit Leaving New Zealand?[/link]
by Jim Vejvoda

Summary:
The actors' unions may have now lifted their boycott of The Hobbit, but it may have come too late to keep Peter Jackson's two-part prequel to Lord of the Rings in New Zealand. [link=http://movies.ign.com/articles/112/1129489p1.html]Read Full Article[/link]

Dec 14, 2009
Poor PJ after all he's done for the NZ Film Industry and Tourism you'd think they'd be jumping for him to shoot the Hobbit there. I hope they do keep the production there, it's such a beautiful locale for the films.
Really glad PJ is directing as well :D
Did I mention that I love you Peter Jackson! haha

Hythlodeus

Noob
Oct 20, 2010
Wow that's the harshest quote I've ever heard from Peter Jackson who usually seems to be a mild mannered guy.

Despite these worries I'm sure the film will turn out great. Gotta side with PJ on this one. He was bullied by a bunch of idiots who didn't even have the support of most of the film workers they represent.

For shame Helen Kelly

Sakyra

Noob
Jul 16, 2010
I hope that the movie is allowed to stay in NZ .. glad PJ is directing. But why does it have to be in 3D?

Yes, Avatar was great ... but it being in 3D really didn't impress me ... I even took off my glasses quite a few times during the movie. I watch movies more for the story than the effects.

But, thanks to the success of Avatar, every movie thinks it HAS to be in 3D ... IMHO, it is just not necessary.

I grew up watching "The Hobbit" and love the story ... cannot wait to see it again.

grapes9h5

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 9, 2009
it'll be a serious loss to the films if they can't use the same location they did for Rings. New Zealand basically is MiddleEarth.

May 19, 2010
damn those union guys...theyre just stirring up trouble for no reason. just so u guys know, over here in new zealand probably around 85% of the people support peter jackson in this case. also @ Sakyra, the film doesnt HAVE to be in 3D, but if the technology is there, y not? its not like itll lose quality because its in 3D...u can still watch it in 2D cinemas. jackson's standard is high enough that he wont sacrifice storytelling and characters for effects.

Aug 26, 2010
serves the unions right you know how much money this sort of film would of made for new Zealand at least millions! however won't eastern europe not be to much of a tip to do a film like this?

Jun 1, 2010
It's all about greed. Good on you Peter Jackson for standing up for yourself. Let's hope the movies stay in NZ where they belong!

xYodaUnleashedx

Almost Not a Noob
Apr 18, 2006
It's not right, it's simply not right. The Lord of the Rings was made in New Zealand and that middle-earth legacy should continue in New Zealand.

I really don't see how moving the shoot is cost-effective either, not only do you have the costs of shipping over all the props and costumes from Weta Workshop in New Zealand to whatever foreign country they choose but this also causes greater dichotomy between Peter and all creative teams back at NZ.

Don't let this move happen!

crazydiamond75

Prime Member
Oct 29, 2009
Its the Hobbit. I always kind of pictured a more European landscape anyway when I read it as a kid. New Zealand worked great for Lord of the Rings, but if you reread the Hobbit, Eastern Europe feels right. Besided, these movies should have their own style. I'm all for the move.

ALaPigeon

Noob
Jun 13, 2008
didnt realise that jackson was back on this, they could film it in fucking birmingham now and it would still be awesome

Sep 21, 2004
I believe Hobbiton is still intact in the NZ countryside and it would be a shame if the Hobbit did leave, however the NZ Equity are a bunch of gobshites and they have truly fucked over the technicians and other production workers. But hey, PJ is in charge and as ALAPigeon says they could film it in fucking birmingham now and it would still be awesome."

Status
Not open for further replies.