Dec 30, 2021
So, I've been playing Resident Evil games now, since 1999. Personally, I started with RE2, and that's the game that basically made me fall in love with survival horror as a genre. Used to play each game religiously, and even some of the spin offs. But after 2006, I found myself just not liking the genre much anymore. Especially when legends like Shinji Mikami and Team Silent buggered off, for what may or may not have been their own personal choice. At least the genre was in a bit of a pickle until the mid-2010s, when it noticeably rejuvenated. Then... I don't know. But through it all, I cannot say it's dead, as people still like these games, so it's not "dead" in that sense. But the story in the franchise since Albert Wesker died!? Oh, man...

Anyway... I never really did take to the idea that some douche can just turn up in so many random places, and sell you items. To me, that kind of wrecked RE, because in the original game, and the amazing 2002 remake, you were mostly exploring the environment by yourself, trying to scavenge all you could find. Now RE games just aren't very scary as they are often deliberately just shoot and loot adventures, and they seem too quiet. The music was always effective in games like RE3, CVX, and especially, RE2. That made them more and more memorable, along with the characters, and the various bioweapons you encountered.

But you can tell that when RE4 came out, they just wanted to copy trends. I'm not saying that RE4 is objectively bad. A lot of people know it got Game of the Year back in 2005 upon its initial release, and so many accolades were presented. Looking back on it now, though, was it really typically like RE at all?

It's a shame how RE0 up to CV had a similar premise about people hating Umbrella, and this was leading up to something, like likely a big war.

A-A-A-A-A-N-D...

What the hell happened? They just... cancelled the heck out of it. Until we got that Wii game to kind of clear that up, but that wasn't too fantastic. Was it?

Now... I can see that the RE2 remake has a lot of flaws, and missing content, as does RE3. Really, here. They are both as sinful. Yet just because everybody likes the original RE2 to death, they will defend it to the bitter end. But honestly. That 2019 game didn't remind me of the original whatsoever, and using the original soundtrack is also an odd fit. It also seemed a tad bit lazy how they repeated cutscenes and left out stuff, and axed some enemies like the crows, the ivys, and the spiders. Yet a lot of journalists at the time acted like it was the second coming of Jesus Christ. LOL. Sorry for being crass!

But RE3? Oh, hell. Totally unforgivable. Nemesis was a joke. Carlos went to the police station, rather than Jill. Barry wasn't there. That is canon. Damn it. But there's other things people could whine about too. After all, they just included the gas station and the clock tower as props, and instead of that factory, they just kind of imitated that lab from the RE2 remake, called NEST or some sh*t like that...

Even RE6 is a better game. I don't get why people hate on that one, though. RE6 plays better than 4 and 5, has a wide range of scenarios, and even zombies returned. But nope. RE6 is [mostly] hated by the fanboys.

Next up - RE7. Not the biggest fan of it myself, but it was still horror-ish. Don't like the fact Ethan Winters is a glorified proxy hero, though, and the Molded or whatever they are called, are quite lazily designed. Chris also didn't look right and seemed randomly inserted for fan service, yet people blamed the new RE Engine as to why he looked fake. However, considering I knew even then that they just hired the wrong actor due to the guy's age, I was like, meh. Maybe they'll understand it was Capcom's fault for just being in too much of a hurry to copy Konami.

And the last thing I'm gonna say is that while RE8 is an original game, unlike the 3612729 times they've resurrected Raccoon City across various mediums to carry on milking the franchise, I thought the plot and the bosses was all generally quite dumb. Like, that puppet, the vampire sisters, and the mecha-man. Ha-ha.

I also noticed that the game where you were playing Claire and Moira, was a repeat of The Last of Us - so, so much. Even has a winter portion where you have to hunt rabbits for food. Also, the Vulcanblubber fight in that room with the shelves was a copy of the fight with the Bloater and the Runners, except that thing uses fireballs rather than spores. You even leave that area by finding a window. So, um, yeah. I'm not sure if anybody noticed that the story with the immune girl named Natalia was pretty similar too, but that's a bit... low of you, Capcom. :)

But anyway, what do you think? Do you miss the old-school style of RE? I mean... I honestly could care much less about the crap others like to bring up, like the so-called tank controls and those fixed camera angles being too 'restrictive' to the player. After all, at the end of the day, I just want a creepy game with a compelling story, and I just ain't getting that so much from RE any more because of the ridiculousness of it all, and people constantly defending Capcom, and asking them for more remakes, when they will likely butcher the classics yet again. So many fans are also of the belief that remaking RE4 is arguably not necessary. And I must say, I'm gonna have to agree there.

Sorry.

Regards, from thesaunderschild.