aussj5link

Noob
Jan 13, 2013
I saw this game at the top a few top PS2 games lists and decided to try it. I got into, watched the opening scene, it told me I needed to go kill colossi to progress. So what do I do? I run around the world for about 2 hours never finding ANYTHING much less a colossus. I figured a huge monster wouldn't be this difficult to find. Seriously you'd think they would give you a locator or something, Instead of finding out why that was the best game I wasted 2 hours just feeling really bored. Also, the controls (especially on horse) were extremely sloppy and frustrating. I don't know how this got such great reviews when I have played many games on PS2 that were far better.

What're your guys' thoughts? I mean should a game really be this vague about your purpose? I mean for one the intro didn't say shit about why the main character wants to bring here back to life. I felt almost no empathy for the main character and virtually nothing else was explained, just kill the colossi and you get the girl. :/

Jul 27, 2014
I saw this game at the top a few top PS2 games lists and decided to try it. I got into, watched the opening scene, it told me I needed to go kill colossi to progress. So what do I do? I run around the world for about 2 hours never finding ANYTHING much less a colossus. I figured a huge monster wouldn't be this difficult to find. Seriously you'd think they would give you a locator or something, Instead of finding out why that was the best game I wasted 2 hours just feeling really bored. Also, the controls (especially on horse) were extremely sloppy and frustrating. I don't know how this got such great reviews when I have played many games on PS2 that were far better.

What're your guys' thoughts? I mean should a game really be this vague about your purpose? I mean for one the intro didn't say shit about why the main character wants to bring here back to life. I felt almost no empathy for the main character and virtually nothing else was explained, just kill the colossi and you get the girl. :/

I know you posted this a while ago. But I joined here just to respond to this. So I hope this is helpful. You actually do have a locator. It's your sword. All you have to do is hold it up in the air while in the sunlight and the light will point you to where you need to go. As for not being able to find the colossi. It's a big world. With nothing in it except the colossi. That is part of the game, hunting them down and finding them. Some are pretty easy to find. Like the first one. If you walk out of the temple and keep going straight. There is a cliff there and you just need to climb it. As for the controls I think once you learn them they are quite good. The game is really as much a puzzle game as it is anything else. Once you find a colossus you have to figure out how to take it down.

As for the story portion of the quote it really worked for me not knowing really why I was there or why I would do what this voice is telling me. But without ruining the end of the game it kind of plays a role in that you don't really know what you're doing.

And yes if I were to make a list for best ps2 games this would be by far #1 on my list. I hope you give this another try. Use the sword to find the beasts. Then figure out how to take them down. When you do manage to kill one it is a definite feeling of accomplishment. So try not to look up the answers! After all the sole purpose of the game is figuring it out.

Jul 30, 2014
You can press and hold circle and a beam of light emits from your sword giving you a general idea of where to go. Also, I feel that it's part of the experience not knowing much, leaving it up to you and your interpretation on the story (although some light is shed on past events later on in the game).

Aug 22, 2014
Also, about the horse controls.

In this game, you only control the player, and as the player you ride the horse and have to control it like you would in real life, but the horse has its own mind, you don't control the horse directly.

In other games, you have direct control over the horse and the player which is less realistic.