Bot-IGN

<marquee> Crush... Kill... Post Articles... </marq
Mar 28, 2001
Article Comments for [link=http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1068541p1.html]New Tony Hawk Will Ride Again[/link]
by Jim Reilly

Summary:
Activision wasn't exactly thrilled with the reviews for Tony Hawk Ride, but that doesn't mean the publisher has given up on the franchise. Activision CEO Mike Griffith confirmed the new title will again use the skateboard peripheral. [link=http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1068541p1.html]Read Full Article[/link]

Dec 17, 2009
Theyre just trying to make more money.
"In hindsight, it took longer to optimize the hardware leaving less time to develop the software we launched in 2009"
That comment just admits that they released an unfinished crappy game just so they would be on schedule for the holiday rush and make more money.

Tr5978

No Longer a Noob
Jan 11, 2001
This is a mistake. Nearly all of the reviews mentioned the fact that the controller was buggy and unresponsive. New software cannot fix a hardware problem.

alambert

Noob
May 30, 2006
So basically they are just going to continue to drag Tony Hawk and his name thru the mud, good luck with that one. If at first you dont succeed try try again...

E

english43

Original poster
This is a mistake. Nearly all of the reviews mentioned the fact that the controller was buggy and unresponsive. New software cannot fix a hardware problem.

- not necessarily, there are plenty of Wii games that have very buggy motion input while others seem to have it working much more accurately, all through the software...

keyser28

Noob
Apr 18, 2008
I'm sure it only cost a few grand to get a good review... just look at how good the reviews for COD6, oops I meant MW2, were and that game totally jumped the shark. Payola all the way!

E

english43

Original poster
...A better point would be that the peripheral itself is expensive and unnecessary since there will be motion control options that will be the standardized on all three major consoles by this time next year.

BrettBallz

Noob
Feb 7, 2001
The problem with Tony Hawk-style games for me is I played too much of them and got burned out. Now it's going to take more than a gimmick to bring me back.

I have no desire to stand and jump around on a board peripheral and watch some guy do tricks in a video game. I'd rather a) dust off my old skateboard and just ride around NOT doing the tricks the pros do or b) watch real skateboarding on TV.

V

VikingrBerserkr

Original poster
Ugh for christs sakes, they need to realize they need to at least add the option to use a regular controller, if not the game will once again BOMB!!!

SkyNet148

Noob
May 23, 2009
The best thing they can do now for this dead franchise is just re-release Tony Hawk 2, with upgraded graphics and stuff. Maybe add new riders and some features from the newer games, but keep the core Tony Hawk 2. Would probably be very good.

Jan 1, 2010
what they should do is make a much bigger sandbox with better custumisation ... but more realistic

they could just republish skate 3 as tony hawk pro skater 11 that would be good

oopap

Noob
Feb 21, 2008
"In hindsight, it took longer to optimize the hardware leaving less time to develop the software we launched in 2009,"

Then why release it? The nine people who had pre-ordered the game/peripheral would have to wait for a playable version instead of a rushed half-assed broken game.

Nowadays we all practically expect delays on the best games, begging to question why Activision would release such an expensive yet useless game.

I like Skynet148's suggestion of a HD Pro Skater 2. Would make a great $15-20 online DL.

Enzo_Br

Noob
Dec 27, 2006
skate games are just like movie games, done quickly and badly, because there's always kids and retarded people buying it. which is enough to make it worth.

Skyler193

Prime Member
Nov 11, 2002
IGN kind of reported this last month. Basically, TH:Ride sold enough to warrant a sequel. Thus, one is probably coming this year. Though, no solid details on what will be different have emerged. We can only guess that the board will stay and that they'll make the game better this year. Good, because it needs to be more than a demo for the board.

-Hawkfan

KBURNS2406

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 14, 2004
@ Enzo_BR if the Skate franchise is your idea of laziness, I'd hate to see your standards! Tony Hawk games have fallen off since THPS 3, but other games such as Skate have a chance to fill that void missing. They might as well keep going with this since they spent the money to put the board in production. Doubt the next game will be any better, but you never know.

harpdevil

Noob
Feb 7, 2008
Well of course they are using the peripheral again, they have to pay off the hardware development fees and get their money's worth.

K

koolkitties

Original poster
We believe that last year's failure is the future.

Apr 15, 2006
We released a shitty game that shouldn't have been released. So no that its a new year. Were going to do it again. retarded

Weathersby

Noob
Feb 16, 2003
Tony Hawk 1-3 were good, but everything else has been crap. I don't want a realistic skateboard game. We like fake and crazy. As a wii owner... i don't need motion control for this game. In my mind motion control, or any time of non standard controller would ruin the game. If they really wanted this game to be good make a solid single player game whose game playharkens back to Tony Hawk 2-3, with the graphics of the newest one. For Multiplayer, add online worlds were people can just skate the shi* out of any place. I don't need map creators... just the ability to play with people.

Jul 14, 2008
I don't believe in buying games from lazy developers. Tony Hawk skate games are pass their prime just like him. This game needs to skate right into the garbage can and stay there. Oh maybe Nintendo will get it out the garbage and make it work with their Wii fit board. The new name for Shovelware is now Skateware aka Tony Hawk.

legacyAccount

Old Account
Nov 10, 2011
@AndreAvatar
So taking a game in a completely different direction and creating a complex peripheral is lazy development? Who would of thought... I'm not saying the game was good, but they are far from being lazy developers. They tried to do something different but were rushed by Activision.

Jul 14, 2008
@InfuzedPSN Ok they were lazy for not getting the software right before they released the board with it ("This year, with the hardware complete, we'll be focusing on improving the software in order to unlock the full potential of the board"). If they knew the software wasn't ready the game should not have been sold. I know people that shelled out $119.00 for the game and board feel ripped-off. I was going to buy it myself until I found out about other people's bad experiences with the game. I don't buy games for peripherals, I buy them for the best experience my money can buy. I don't buy beta (unfinished) games. I am a gamer and I will get my monies worth from my games that is why I do research on IGN.com :o)

SpecterBrokeYourNeck

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 3, 2006
Has anyone else noticed that the further they move from the original style, the worse the games get. Oh well, here's hoping somebody at Neversoft sees the correlation.

Topher_LS

Noob
May 30, 2002
"@InfuzedPSN Ok they were lazy for not getting the software right before they released the board..."

QFT. The "game" that came along with the board was terrible & a half-hearted attempt. Shawn White's 1st game worked fairly well on the wiifit board.

KrobelustheMedavan

No Longer a Noob
Oct 14, 2005
Badstreet, USA
This was the wrong way to try and coutner-act Skate...if somebody wants realism you can't beat Skate...they should've gone back to the series roots..seriously Skate is too realistic for my tastes and the Tony Hawk series has become laughable...

May 23, 2009
i think ride would have been pretty good if ou could use a normal controller,i think it would have made it into the ranke of one of the best, but the peripheral ruined it it was to hard to control, which leaded me to be very frustrated, it oesnt work any where near the way i dreamed it would, and i got the game just before they droppped the price, so i wasted alot of money, i still have the game and i dont know what to do with it. my 8 year old cousin likes it though, but thats it.

kogunenjou

The Dragon of the West
Jan 21, 2010
My tea shop
I really hate to see Activision going this direction with the Tony Hawk franchise. I enjoyed Proving Ground, and thought that it was a good direction for what was (and is) a dying series. Had they built onto that foundation, with better environments, more exciting goals, more character customization, more replayability, etc., I think they could have revived the game. Instead, they took it a completely different way, which...flopped. And they're building on that, instead? It's really a shame.

May 15, 2010
the only tony hawk games i like are THUG and American Wasteland, he needs to go back to tht style and stick with it. All the new tony hawks are pretty much suck or are WAY to short.
I feel like they should actually just remake THUG and American Wasteland but add a bunch of new stuff and of course better graphics. Mabey even a stronger storyline.
No Board, Stick with the Contoller.