The_Greek_Hoplite

pinin' for the fjords
Feb 2, 2007
Which as we might remember was the first major hit of the streaming era and is now for some reason become totally memory-holed.

• Fake working class drama written by rich person
  • Wild tonal inconsistency
  • Didactic story-telling
  • heightened melodrama, incessant monologuing
  • "poor people may look scary but inside they all have hearts of gold"
  • Intensely Therapeutic: cynically and selectively reveals, and then narrativizes, character's Biographical Trauma as Journey of Self Healing

Both even feature a white protagonist who leads a predominately POC cast, whose stories are mangled into some generic shape made legible/inoffensive for middle class white liberal audience. As the series progresses, we see that protagonist become (at best) a tertiary character

It also resembles the monoculture media spearheaded by Disney-Marvel-Star Wars (who own FX/Hulu) in that there is No free-standing details; every line, every prop, every eccentricity is turned into "Lore" and eventually explained

Last edited:

the_metal_maniac

Almost Not a Noob
Jun 22, 2024
I don’t think they’re that similar to be honest, maybe if OITNB was produced by Amblin Entertainment… but you raise some interesting points. The lore thing I always thought was to create more merchandising opportunities… sure enough…

IMG_4957.jpeg

Shiny

Woof
★ MOD
Feb 27, 2007
Bark
Hmm my parents and their middle class white liberal friends all like it and talk about it so that checks out.