Blugeoner86

The owls are not what they seem
Jun 27, 2001
So I haven't listened to Job for a Cowboy in a long time. In fact I had only heard Genesis when it came out and I was underwhelmed. So a couple weeks ago I was looking back through my collection and I saw the album again and wondered what they were up to. The funny thing about bands you stop following is they keep making music. Well I see they released an album last year, Sun Eater, and decide to give it a chance.

I don't remember what they used to sound like but I don't recall it being this. It sounds like the are almost aping Between the Buried and Me or Cynic. In any case I enjoyed the album. Nice to see they've really turned into something. [face_tongue]

Heck even the cover art is cool

X-pert74

cute
Feb 27, 2002
I remember hearing a Job for a Cowboy song or two, and liking them a lot, despite seeing a lot of people here complain that they were deathcore or something. I honestly didn't know deathcore was a thing until I saw those comments. Then I stopped paying attention to them (not like I really paid them any attention in the first place), and had mostly forgotten about them until this thread.

(listening now)

This song is pretty fucking awesome, I've gotta say. I especially like the part about two minutes in.

LoxxO)))

Star
Oct 2, 2005
Washington
There was a thread about this album on here and I've been listening to them all along. I love Job For A Cowboy. I think they're honestly a great death metal band. Sun Eater, to me, is a bit underwhelming. I think Demonacracy is better. Genesis is still a great listen for me, though. A couple songs on there are my favorites by them period.

My thing is that JFAC got a bad reputation for being a shitty deathcore band. But that phase only lasted for a demo and one EP. They became a legit band after that and everyone still wrote them off. I remember one day just putting Genesis on and realizing that holy shit... they're a good band. Maybe it doesn't hold up as well now and it's the nostalgia for me (because this was what... 10 years ago?) but I'm still in love with that album. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I have Genesis and Sun Eater both in my car right now.

Blugeoner86

Jun 27, 2001
There was a thread about this album on here and I've been listening to them all along. I love Job For A Cowboy. I think they're honestly a great death metal band. Sun Eater, to me, is a bit underwhelming. I think Demonacracy is better. Genesis is still a great listen for me, though. A couple songs on there are my favorites by them period.

My thing is that JFAC got a bad reputation for being a shitty deathcore band. But that phase only lasted for a demo and one EP. They became a legit band after that and everyone still wrote them off. I remember one day just putting Genesis on and realizing that holy shit... they're a good band. Maybe it doesn't hold up as well now and it's the nostalgia for me (because this was what... 10 years ago?) but I'm still in love with that album. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure I have Genesis and Sun Eater both in my car right now.

Well I knew you would show up and thought you would say Sun Eater isn't as good as the rest because you've always been a JFAC fanboy. [face_tongue]

LoxxO)))

Star
Oct 2, 2005
Washington
I wouldn't say it's worse than the rest, but I feel like Demonacracy is definitely better. But, admittedly, Sun Eater is a new sound for them so maybe you wouldn't like their last one more.

Blugeoner86

Jun 27, 2001
I still intend to give it a listen. Me being on hiatus gives me an excuse to check them out again. [face_tongue]

Jun 12, 2006
Midgar
How come no one mention their second album Ruination, another awesome deathcore album I had listened to? That one's my favorite album of the band.

Mar 1, 2011
How come no one mention their second album Ruination, another awesome deathcore album I had listened to? That one's my favorite album of the band.

Went to a LoG concert with my friends, Job was there doing a tour for ruination. My friends hadent heard of them before and i played them a couple songs from the album, their overall attitude was meh. Lets just say after the live show there were around 6 new Job fans by the end of that night.

Last edited:

LoxxO)))

Star
Oct 2, 2005
Washington
Let me expand on that... their first demo and EP are bad. But I like them because of the badness at this point. Ruination is JFAC's death metal style... but at it's most plain and generic. It's meant to be good... but it really isn't.