Tnaeggers1

Noob
Mar 3, 2016
I have no experience with Fallout but I picked up a copy of Fallout 4 for PS4. Can someone tell me what is a good character build for someone like me? Thank you!

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
It really depends on your playing style. As a total beginner, you might just start with semi-even stats, and up them as you go. I like to start with high INT, and CHR, because INT helps you level faster, and CHR helps you convince others if you need to.

aschiro

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 10, 2011
City by the Bay
Or if you want to build a Super Soldier, go heavy with Luck and Agility so that you can use VATS to great efficiency.

You can do it any way and be successful once you learn all of the Crafting, Modding and Trading intricacies. But just save a lot! The beginning levels will be the toughest so hang in there.

Oh and the Companions are all great in their own way. Stay with them (maybe off and on) until you max out your Affinity with each one.

Lastly, I would recommend staying focused on Quests for max XP instead of just wandering around killin stuff.

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Oh yeah, saving constantly is the thing you gotta do.

I hope you enjoy it. :)

Classicnerd

No Longer a Noob
Jun 12, 2014
Keep building and scrapping stuff at sanctuary for some very easy XP. This is helpful in the beginning as it gives you about 5 level ups and you do not even need to leave sanctuary to do it!

Just scrap everything you see at sanctuary. Then build lotsa stuff with this material. Then scrap it all. And build again. Continue till you run out of stuff.

At that point you should have those 5 level ups. At the least.

jyerxa

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 26, 2002
Do you have a favorite video game character? For years now I always try to make my character look as close to Abbey Chase as possible. And then I name my character Abbey. Always. Until this game. I have found a different fem-fatal I really like who has just dethroned Abbey from her 15 year running streak.

That is the way I do it. Give it a try. I find myself able to identify with my character when I do that.

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Keep building and scrapping stuff at sanctuary for some very easy XP. This is helpful in the beginning as it gives you about 5 level ups and you do not even need to leave sanctuary to do it!

Just scrap everything you see at sanctuary. Then build lotsa stuff with this material. Then scrap it all. And build again. Continue till you run out of stuff.

While that does give you early levels, later on when you're hunting down every last pencil and broom just for wood, you're going to be pissed at yourself for throwing away all those woods.

BD-Slangin

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 12, 2010
I would say go high agility as the ability to use VATS more and sneak allows you to both conserve ammo and take out enemies easier, which should help early on. Also, I would say get enough perception that you can build up your lockpick early. Lockpicking > hacking.

BD-Slangin

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 12, 2010

While that does give you early levels, later on when you're hunting down every last pencil and broom just for wood, you're going to be pissed at yourself for throwing away all those woods.
Piggybacking onto this, if you plan on building settlements a lot, start collecting a lot of the useless junk items, especially those containing copper.

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal

Piggybacking onto this, if you plan on building settlements a lot, start collecting a lot of the useless junk items, especially those containing copper.
Yeah. Once you get to Sanctuary, I'd recommend building some containers so you can sort it. You can dump everything in the workshop, but I always make chests for armor and weapons I'll want to break down, and junk I'll want to save to put around as neat stuff to look at.

jyerxa

Almost Not a Noob
Mar 26, 2002
All very good and sound advice. The best as a matter of fact.

This is an RPG. A role playing game.

Get into your characters head. Think the way you would really think in such a situation. And enjoy.

It is really just that simple. What would you do?

Enjoy.

Acehigh79

No Longer a Noob
Dec 20, 2004
Once you are comfortable and know your way around fallout I'd recommend this build for a second play through. Put charisma and luck to at least 7. keep intelligence at 1. distribute the rest any way you like. take idiot savant for your first perk. this build will show off how crazy fallout can be lol and it's hilarious!

Classicnerd

No Longer a Noob
Jun 12, 2014

It works for me, as I dont really go for all that settlement stuff.

But hey, here's some interesting info on that tip:

Today, I decided to start replaying F4.

So, I went down to sanctuary from the starting vault.
And scrapped everything there.
Then I used all that to build piles and piles of stuff.
then scapped them, and built some more!

And believe or not, after two hours or so, I had reached level 10.

So, all in all, you can get 9 level ups without leaving sanctuary, just by building.

BTW, I'm not completely stupid, so the first thing I did was to build few turrets and wells, because those are needed later on. But after that, it was just mad building frenzy!

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal

It works for me, as I dont really go for all that settlement stuff.

But hey, here's some interesting info on that tip:

Today, I decided to start replaying F4.

So, I went down to sanctuary from the starting vault.
And scrapped everything there.
Then I used all that to build piles and piles of stuff.
then scapped them, and built some more!

And believe or not, after two hours or so, I had reached level 10.

So, all in all, you can get 9 level ups without leaving sanctuary, just by building.

BTW, I'm not completely stupid, so the first thing I did was to build few turrets and wells, because those are needed later on. But after that, it was just mad building frenzy!
I read a blog where the person decided to NEVER explore the Wasteland, and just sat at Sanctuary as long as possible. I can't remember what it was called, though...[face_thinking]

EDIT: http://www.pcgamer.com/playing-fallout-4-without-ever-leaving-sanctuary/

Last edited:

Classicnerd

No Longer a Noob
Jun 12, 2014
Interesting find: I realised you can get settlers to Sanctuary without the minutemen.
-I thought you had to save the minutemen at concord before you could start getting pips into your settlement.

but apparently you dont!

All you need is to get some food growing, some water flowing, some beds in houses and some sentry turrets.
-and the radio beacon to call in settlers.

I did all that , and settlers started trickling in.
Yeah. I dont want those silly minutemen crowding my Sanctuary! They can stay in concord for all eternity for all I care!

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Interesting find: I realised you can get settlers to Sanctuary without the minutemen.
-I thought you had to save the minutemen at concord before you could start getting pips into your settlement.

but apparently you dont!

All you need is to get some food growing, some water flowing, some beds in houses and some sentry turrets.
-and the radio beacon to call in settlers.

I did all that , and settlers started trickling in.
Yeah. I dont want those silly minutemen crowding my Sanctuary! They can stay in concord for all eternity for all I care!
Right? When I found that out I was kind of pissed. I had NO idea you could start building without them. Ugh. All those stupid "Raiders kidnapped my friends!" quests could have been avoided, but nooooo.

Classicnerd

No Longer a Noob
Jun 12, 2014
Sertith help!!! Raiders kidnapped my hamster!!!

BTW I'm a bit worried about the latest update for the PS4 version.

Last time I played the game, during december-january, the game was totally stable, and I saw no glitches.

Now, this friday I reinstalled the game, and got the latest patch. And the game is full of glitches! and it crashes occasionally.
The only thing that has changed is the update, so that must be what's causing the glitches...

Classicnerd

No Longer a Noob
Jun 12, 2014
Not the hamster! *readies mini-nukes*

What kind of glitches?

well, there's texture lag.
And then there's times when whole textures just dont get drawn, so you are seeing blue sky through texture gaps in walls!
And floating stuff is more common now. And the glitch where persons in the game world sink partially inside walls and other objects.

Hordriss27

Prime Member
Sep 9, 2008
Sertith help!!! Raiders kidnapped my hamster!!!

BTW I'm a bit worried about the latest update for the PS4 version.

Last time I played the game, during december-january, the game was totally stable, and I saw no glitches.

Now, this friday I reinstalled the game, and got the latest patch. And the game is full of glitches! and it crashes occasionally.
The only thing that has changed is the update, so that must be what's causing the glitches...

How do you get the Minutemen quest? I've done all of Sturges' quests around Sanctuary, and it's now showing as a completed question. Every time I talk to Preston now I just get one line like "Look after your gun and it'll look after you" but no further dialogue option and no quests are being given out.

EDIT: Never mind, I just realised there is a quest showing in my quest log I can do.

Last edited:

Sertith

Khajiit Plenipotentiary
★ MOD
Oct 8, 2005
NorCal
Not the hamster! *readies mini-nukes*

What kind of glitches?

well, there's texture lag.
And then there's times when whole textures just dont get drawn, so you are seeing blue sky through texture gaps in walls!
And floating stuff is more common now. And the glitch where persons in the game world sink partially inside walls and other objects.
I don't think I've had any of those, but I'm on PC so we probably get different bugs.

Classicnerd

No Longer a Noob
Jun 12, 2014
Oh, I realised one good tip for beginners as I was exploring with Curie:

To keep safe, travel on water!
If you have the aquaman perk, you can swim without taking rad damage.

This will allow you to swim along rivers, and along coastlines. This is very safe way of travelling, and of discovering places on shores.
-there are no swimming enemies in the game, it seems, so, when you discover new place on shore, you can just run back to water if there seems to be something dangerous in the place you found.
Enemies cannot follow you to deep water, not even those crabs...

Also, swimming away underwater is good way of escaping enemy fire in these expeditions.

I've been able to map most of the riversides and the coastline this way. keeping in the water, keeping safe!
-great way of getting fast travel points for future adventures.

BTW Today i travelled to the crater with curie, because I thought certain big scientist could help me with curie's personal quest. Sadly, he was not home. I suspect he appears only after certain main missions are done. Shame.

Hordriss27

Prime Member
Sep 9, 2008

This will allow you to swim along rivers, and along coastlines. This is very safe way of travelling, and of discovering places on shores.
-there are no swimming enemies in the game, it seems, so, when you discover new place on shore, you can just run back to water if there seems to be something dangerous in the place you found.

Also, swimming away underwater is good way of escaping enemy fire in these expeditions.

I've been able to map most of the riversides and the coastline this way. keeping in the water, keeping safe!

BTW Today i travelled to the crater with curie, because I thought certain big scientist could help me with curie's personal quest. Sadly, he was not home. I suspect he appears only after certain main missions are done. Shame.

I'm pretty sure Mirelurks are aquatic.

evadez

Noob
Oct 24, 2016
Cali
My suggestion as a new player would be to start off with a lot of Endurance stats and have a sneak build since you won't know where to expect anything.

Sneak paired with Mister Sandman and Ninja can give you a lot of damage output early on, just make sure you pick up the Gun nut perk to be able to attach silencers to your weapons. You will receive some (such as the Deliverance) but it's good to experiment with what guns you would prefer to use.

evadez

Noob
Oct 24, 2016
Cali

I HATE underwater creature, thankfully there are none. But in the higher levels I tended to run into Mirelurk kings and such, scary as shit what you're swimming in water you can't see in