Mdesilva

No Longer a Noob
Feb 24, 2012
aAYmByg.png

A thread dedicated to the discussion of all sorts of fighting games… punches, kicks, fireballs, and more- all welcome here. This is a place for advanced talk of FADC into Ultra, one frame links, super jumps, or dash cancels. However, it's also a place for beginners- questions like "How do I do a dragon punch?" or "What fighting game is easiest to get into?" are welcome here too. Enter Fight Club, a thread for everything having to do with fighting games, for beginners AND hardcore fans.

Why play fighting games?

Fighting games are a unique multiplayer experience. While it's not the same as a team based game like Counter Strike or DotA 2, fighting games require individual skill as well as being able to understand how your opponent fights. They require countless hours of practice, and if you're not dedicated enough to play a lot, don't expect to improve very much. The reason to play fighting games is to test your skills and become stronger through doing so. While it's a hard thing to do, with time and hard work (and not just a lot of work, but the right work- there's many misconceptions about how to learn a game), you will be able to play competently and compete. It's a rewarding experience where you're always getting better.

Fighting games are hard to play. If you win solely by mashing, your opponent probably isn't very good at the game.

You have to read your opponents moves and predict their actions before they do them. It's kinda like Chess, but in motion.

You also need to know which moves to use at what time, like a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Current Fighting Games:

hD0nXr1.jpg

Ultra Street Fighter IV

vpqPP7ch.jpg

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

FuhQHtr.jpg

Super Smash Bros. Melee

PcAX1Kmh.jpg

Injustice: Gods Among Us

9oEyFewh.jpg

Killer Instinct

r6miCJQh.jpg

The King of Fighters '13

Bvl0wde.jpg

Blazblue Chronophantasma

0aHvJCV.jpg

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

csiWPKy.jpg

Skullgirls Encore

Upcoming Fighting Games

ZrzOqNoh.jpg

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS

eYdDtWwh.jpg

Mortal Kombat X

JjQzZ8ch.jpg

Persona 4 Arena: Ultimax

GCsfJajl.jpg

Guilty Gear Xrd

9IX83k5h.jpg

Under Night in-Birth exe: Late

Fighting games are difficult to get into, but can be fun to learn. The community is fairly large, with big tournaments happening throughout the year. They're fun to watch and viewing gameplay is essential to better yours. Here are some major upcoming events in the fighting game community (FGC).

Upcoming FGC events:
BJL0p8F.jpg

EVO 2014 (July 11th-13th)
Evolution Championship Series is the biggest fighting game tournament in the world. It's an annual event that all fighting game players should look forward to. Over 5,000 players from 47 countries will be attending the event, and many games will be played. If you're interested in fighting games at all, or just want some thrilling entertainment, EVO is the event for you (until Injustice comes on).

Player Resources

There are many helpful online tools for all fighting game players. Here is a list of some you should be sure to check out.
For mostly Capcom games: Shoryuken
For Arc System Works games: Dustloop
For Skullgirls: Skullheart
For Netherrealm games: Test Your Might
…and more, which will later be added into this list.

Players

The best way to gain experience is to fight against other players. While online play is always second to local matches, it's good to play online against people at different skill levels. In order to play with other participants of this thread, please include the following info.

List your:
Games played and the platforms you play them on
Your PSN, Xbox Live, and Steam usernames (if applicable- if you have a game on these consoles, list your username)

And with that, play some games and have fun!

Ready…
LIHQOCV.jpg

Mdesilva

No Longer a Noob
Feb 24, 2012
To watch EVO this weekend, here's your schedules to keep an eye on.
evo2014_stream_schedule.png

2654355-evo2014_madcatz_schedule.jpg

All times are in PST, and stream links are on the schedules.

To watch Blazblue Chronophantasma pools tomorrow, tune into www.twitch.tv/jyosua from 8AM to 2PM PST.

Last edited:

JeriKu

This better be good...
Aug 2, 2009
The Oasis
Nice layout. Great thread for those interested.

Too bad I suck at fighting games. I always lose to one of two types of people. The lucky button masher or the guy who knows every combo and how to chain them, ending the fight in a flawless victory.

Blah.

stryder25.0

Life could be simple...
Jul 14, 2007
Good work on this.

I don't like fighting games very much. Except Smash. Love Smash.

Stryder Smash.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2008
Awesome idea. I enjoy fighting games, but mostly casually with friends in the same room. Whenever I go online, I get my butt kicked and that's always deflating. I haven't been into one in a while, but I always keep an eye on the genre. Guilty Gear XRD is beautiful.

Mdesilva

No Longer a Noob
Feb 24, 2012
Nice layout. Great thread for those interested.

Too bad I suck at fighting games. I always lose to one of two types of people. The lucky button masher or the guy who knows every combo and how to chain them, ending the fight in a flawless victory.

Blah.
Are you interested in fighting games? Because we can help you get better.

Mdesilva

No Longer a Noob
Feb 24, 2012
Can't believe I forgot to mention this in the OP, but shoutouts to @Ragnaroknite for helping by making the banner and finding some pictures and @hao-chi for help on the text of the OP.

GunBlade

No Longer a Noob
Mar 30, 2012
Mt. Corel
A beautiful thread this is!

I've been meaning to post in the Arc Sys thread for the longest time but I drifted away from fighting games for a while. The last one I've played was Tekken Tag Tournament 2 I think.

I'll refrain from joining the list of players to play with until I get around to the fighting games in my backlog, for example Blazblue Continuum Shift and Persona 4 Arena (which I'll play after Persona 4 Golden).

hao-chi

Big Damn Hero
Nov 7, 2005
Awesome idea. I enjoy fighting games, but mostly casually with friends in the same room. Whenever I go online, I get my butt kicked and that's always deflating. I haven't been into one in a while, but I always keep an eye on the genre. Guilty Gear XRD is beautiful.

Currently there's a bunch of new players on Dustloop's forums playing together every night on Persona 4 Arena. I don't know if that game interests you at all, but if it does, you should look into it.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8834-newbies-of-p4a-unite/

Though one thing that you need to get over eventually if you really want to learn is getting over being frustrated by being bodied, and just try to learn from what you're doing wrong. And definitely ask questions! I've learned so much the last couple months from getting destroyed at local meet ups and listening to the advice they've had to offer, as well as getting a bunch of tips from one of the best Yukiko players in the US.

Mdesilva

No Longer a Noob
Feb 24, 2012
Some people here play it, but for now I just included the popular games. DOA5 is pretty dead…

And actually I gotta be honest- I myself haven't seen Fight Club.

hao-chi

Big Damn Hero
Nov 7, 2005
Great thread. I love Fight Club (I've got a framed picture of Tyler Durden on my shelf). Do any of you guys play Dead or Alive 5? It wasn't in the OP. >_>

I'm willing to put DOA5U on and press buttons, if that's what you mean.

vincent791

Star
Jul 3, 2003
Great banner! Congrats for the thread!

Oddly enough I enjoy playing fighting games solo, probably because I don't have the time to master this games anymore. I'm an average player and I think I'm a decent player in Street Fighter and Dead or Alive.

I love most fighting games, Other than SF and DoA I play occasionally games like P4A, BB Chronophantasma and KoF XIII.

My PSN, XBL and Steam user: Zamorian79

Watching EVO right now :D

hao-chi

Big Damn Hero
Nov 7, 2005
I said I'd play DOA5, but okay...

So anybody here play Skullgirls? The local players want to teach me how to play and I think it'll replace BB as the second fighter I focus on. Using Valentine/Parasoul/Fukua as my team.

Jul 30, 2011
Mount Silver

So anybody here play Skullgirls? The local players want to teach me how to play and I think it'll replace BB as the second fighter I focus on. Using Valentine/Parasoul/Fukua as my team.
Yeah add me too. I just thought you said you didn't like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

hao-chi

Big Damn Hero
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah add me too. I just thought you said you didn't like it.

I like DOA5, I'm just not very good at it. And unlike @freakmonkey9 I don't have any motivation to learn it, partially because I like being able to play it with friends that don't play fighters and not body them.

Mdesilva

No Longer a Noob
Feb 24, 2012
I never even made it through the tutorial of DOA. I may like it, maybe I'll give it some time soon.

DignityThief

Super Star
Jun 18, 2005
ham sandwich
Great idea for a thread, and beautifully executed.

[face_applause]

I don't even play many fighting games but I just wanted to say that.

How do I be a better batgirl? I can do all her moves, and I can do a few combos, and have about a 1:1 win loss ratio which is good for me. But her teleport move, I can't, for the life of me, do her charged version in online... (Where she grapples the guy and then hangs him in the air for a second...) I can do it in the practice, and single player, but every time I try it online it just plain doesn't work.

I've tried hitting the charge button earlier and later than I usually would but it still doesn't work. Pisses me off.

Last edited:

Mdesilva

No Longer a Noob
Feb 24, 2012
Wow, Lord Knight finally won, and it was at a major, too. The biggest major! If only P4A was a main game.

USF4 Next Level Battle Circuit vs Wednesday Night Fights 5v5 Exhibition is up next on www.twitch.tv/srkevo1

Great idea for a thread, and beautifully executed.

[face_applause]

I don't even play many fighting games but I just wanted to say that.
Thanks! And to think I did it all from a phone [face_silly]

And I apologize, but I can't really answer your question, as I know nothing about Injustice. Sorry!

Apr 8, 2011
Rhode Island
It's a shame fighting games aren't more popular but I completely understand why due to the learning curve. I just wish more people would talk about them since it's EVO after all.

Mdesilva

No Longer a Noob
Feb 24, 2012
Geez who is even left in BB my god

So many good players eliminated

Edit: OMG SEMIFINALS

Last edited:

hao-chi

Big Damn Hero
Nov 7, 2005
So I noticed Smash Bros is in the OP. Everyone's getting the 3DS version right?

To be honest, I'm pretty content with Project M, so I don't know if I'm getting either version. I'll probably be a bum and try Freak's copy before deciding.

Steely_Dan1

IGN's lil' stinker
Mar 26, 2003
Have:
MK vs. DC
Mortal Kombat
Virtua Fighter 5
Tekken 6
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Soul Calibur 4
Soul Calibur 5
Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate
Super Street Fighter 4
Street Fighter X Tekken
Injustice: Gods Amongst Us
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasm
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
King of Fighters XIII
Skullgirls
Guilty Gear Xrd Sign (Pre-ordered, might cancel if no Bridget)
Mortal Kombat X (Pre-ordered, might cancel cause NeatherRelms isn't making the PS3 version)
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (Pre-ordered)
Arcana Heart 3: Love Max Edition (Pre-ordered)
Ultra Street Fighter 4 (Pre-ordered

Non-legit, or alternate fighting games:
Have:
Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royal
Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers
J Stars Victory Vs.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Ultimate Battle
Gundam Extreme Vs. Full Burst
Anarchy Reigns
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Shippuden Revolution (Pre-ordered)

Still need to get Battle Fantasia, Dark Awake, Aquapazza, Under Night In Birth, Chaos Breaker, Virtura Fighter 5 Final Bout, a DBZ game, and 1 or 2 other japanese fighters.