goget2

Noob
Oct 14, 2010
I was lucky enough to get both for X-mas.

I gotta say, best games of the year so far. Which is better though, and yes, I know, they are 2 completely different games.

I gotta go with Hitman though, best game I've played in a long long time.

Any thoughts?

Punker_29

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 9, 2010
Portugal
They don't really compare so it's hard to say. I have played both but FC3 was the first Far Cry I played ever and I was positevely suprised. On personal preference I have to choose Hitman: Absolution because it's my favorite game franchise but I think Game of The Year was Far Cry 3

goget2

Noob
Oct 14, 2010
They don't really compare so it's hard to say. I have played both but FC3 was the first Far Cry I played ever and I was positevely suprised. On personal preference I have to choose Hitman: Absolution because it's my favorite game franchise but I think Game of The Year was Far Cry 3

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. I played FC 2 for 5 minutes. But FC 3 was just a huge surprise. The best free roaming game since GTA 4 in my opinion. (Until GTA 5 comes out)

But my god. I think Hitman is starting to become my favorite game of all time. Once again, until GTA 5 comes out

Punker_29

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 9, 2010
Portugal

That's pretty much exactly how I feel. I played FC 2 for 5 minutes. But FC 3 was just a huge surprise. The best free roaming game since GTA 4 in my opinion. (Until GTA 5 comes out)

But my god. I think Hitman is starting to become my favorite game of all time. Once again, until GTA 5 comes out

I don't even know what to expect from GTA V...already pre-order it.

goget2

Noob
Oct 14, 2010

I don't even know what to expect from GTA V...already pre-order it.

Ahhh, your a bastard. I need money, and lots of it.

When is it even coming out? March?

Punker_29

Almost Not a Noob
Nov 9, 2010
Portugal
according to a quick google , march 15th is the release of GTA 5.

They haven't announced it yet, only said Spring 2013. I hope they don't released it near The Last of Us cause I've already pre-order it both and right now I don't know if I can afford one xD

jacktres

Almost Not a Noob
May 14, 2011
Played Absolution four times and quit. Awful disguise system and horrendous save system doomed it for me.
Been playing Far Cry 3 obsessively and loving it without reservation.

goget2

Noob
Oct 14, 2010
Played Absolution four times and quit. Awful disguise system and horrendous save system doomed it for me.

I agree with the crappy saves. But not with the disguises. Even then, it doesn't make the game bad.

jacktres

Almost Not a Noob
May 14, 2011

I agree with the crappy saves. But not with the disguises. Even then, it doesn't make the game bad.

The save system is profoundly inconsiderate of the players' time. It's like the creators have no idea about the way people like to experiment with the levels.

goget2

Noob
Oct 14, 2010

The save system is profoundly inconsiderate of the players' time. It's like the creators have no idea about the way people like to experiment with the levels.

I agreed with that, but the disguise system? I don't understand

Aug 16, 2005

Disguise system was implemented terribly. My questions to you is what do you actually like about it?

Feb 26, 2006

Disguise system was implemented terribly. My questions to you is what do you actually like about it?

It's a little more realistic. It also requires you to spend your instinct wisely (strategy). I'm not saying I love it, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's by no means game breaking, as some people like to say.

jacktres

Almost Not a Noob
May 14, 2011

It's a little more realistic. It also requires you to spend your instinct wisely (strategy). I'm not saying I love it, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's by no means game breaking, as some people like to say.

It's game-breaking for me when coupled with the awful save system. If my instinct gauge must deplete while I'm crossing a crowded room, exposing me to all enemies, at least let me resume from a recent save.

goget2

Noob
Oct 14, 2010

It's game-breaking for me when coupled with the awful save system. If my instinct gauge must deplete while I'm crossing a crowded room, exposing me to all enemies, at least let me resume from a recent save.

So you obviously suck at this game, and because of that, you hate it?? I agree that the save system isn't that good. But the disguise system is pretty much the same as the other hitman games. Except for the blend option.

Either way, its a stupid reason to hate a game. And I thought the checkpoints in Far cry were alot worse.

jacktres

Almost Not a Noob
May 14, 2011

So you obviously suck at this game, and because of that, you hate it?? I agree that the save system isn't that good. But the disguise system is pretty much the same as the other hitman games. Except for the blend option.

Either way, its a stupid reason to hate a game. And I thought the checkpoints in Far cry were alot worse.

Aside from the original Hitman, I've played, loved, and finished them all up till now. Perhaps I do suck at this new iteration, but nothing about what I've experienced compels me to grow my skill at it.

I could live with the punishing disguise system if I could avoid having to replay large stretches of a level that I already passed when that disguise fails, but the save system ensures you're in for lots of repeated segments. In the intro level, I choked out the guard in the tennis court, stored him, and crept onward. Past a checkpoint. Got spotted, got killed. Restarted at the checkpoint, and the tennis court guard was back on his feet, and, worse, positioned directly above me, so he spotted me. More repetition, this time due to the fact that, in addition to not being able to save-anywhere, the dead come back to life if you resume from a checkpoint, so you're surrounded. This alone--the dead coming back to life because I resume a save--is a deal-breaker.

Awful save system + iffy disguise system = too much repetition of the same sections of the same levels. Lack of save-anywhere snaps the spine of the game. Lack of options to bring late-game weapons back to early levels for fun and experimentation means I'm never thinking up fun ways to replay levels the way I did with the other games. Just an all-around let down.

Last edited: