ewwcrabjuice

Super Star
Nov 11, 2001
saying chief keef is peers to earl sweatshirt and joey bada$$ is like saying jay-z is birdman's peer because they were both born in 1969

Last edited:

MFThomas

Super Star
Dec 12, 2011
Maryland
That's kinda one of the definitions of peers. Plus, they're both successful hip-hop producers, so I don't see why not.

StillLoopee

No Longer a Noob
Nov 26, 2009
Isn't it funny how Lil Jon is so inferior to his peers Jay-Z and Eminem. I mean, they're all in their 40s.

I don't even give a **** about Keef, but different artists do different things.

But "welcome" to the boards.

Last edited:

AO96

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 4, 2009
This comparison is fantastic, and completely even despite two people being on one side....

You want to know what else they have in common besides their ages? They all rap!

Welcome doe...

Estupido1

Runnin' through the 5113 with my whoas
Jul 24, 2001
The remix of "Don't Like" > anything the other two artists have done. "Earl" is the only thing that comes close.

MFThomas

Super Star
Dec 12, 2011
Maryland
I like Chief Keef's music. Not moreso than Earl and Joey's, but I like it.

I tried listening to it. I heard "I Don't Like" on MTV Jams, and searched some of his other songs just to see if he was ever better. Same crappy start-stop flow and mediocre beats.

At least he's consistent.

Last edited:

StillLoopee

No Longer a Noob
Nov 26, 2009
The remix of "Don't Like" > anything the other two artists have done. "Earl" is the only thing that comes close.
I can't agree, but that said if you're going off the remix and not the OG, it's safe to say that you've pretty much said Keef's chorus>their career, which isn't true. At least imo anyway.

Estupido1

Jul 24, 2001

I usually don't get distraught over opinions but this is complete NONSENSE!
Joey Badass has a lot of potential, but If I really wanted to listen to a teenager spit multisyllables over 90's style production, I'd just put on Illmatic. Joey's tape doesn't really have a lot of depth and while I like the production, I am more interested in hearing what he can do over original beats. He is in the same boat as Diggy is to me. I can hear the makings of a good artist, but he has not quite figured things out, yet. They both need more time to mature.

Earl has one tape and it sounds dated at this point. Odd Future's production and mastering have taken a step forward and outside of a few tracks, I don't really revisit it. "Don't Like" is a certified banger and since the three of them only have one or two projects apiece, "Don't Like" is, to me, easily the best song any of them has released.

Last edited:

MFThomas

Super Star
Dec 12, 2011
Maryland
But Earl isn't Earl's only work. It's just his only solo album. Have you listened to Between Friends with FlyLo?

I also liked him in Domo's Elimination Chamber.
Earl has evolved into a monster, and now that's he's dropping the whole rape/murder theme, he'll be even more enjoyable to listen to."I Don't Like" is in my opinion, garbage trap music, and I can't listen to it. I just can't.

AO96

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 4, 2009

Joey Badass has a lot of potential, but If I really wanted to listen to a teenager spit multisyllables over 90's style production, I'd just put on Illmatic. Joey's tape doesn't really have a lot of depth and while I like the production, I am more interested in hearing what he can do over original beats. He is in the same boat as Diggy is to me. I can hear the makings of a good artist, but he has not quite figured things out, yet. They both need more time to mature.

Earl has one tape and it sounds dated at this point. Odd Future's production and mastering have taken a step forward and outside of a few tracks, I don't really revisit it. "Don't Like" is a certified banger and since the three of them only have one or two projects apiece, "Don't Like" is, to me, easily the best song any of them has released.

Okay c'mon now, this is just unfair....

I could literally make this same exact comment for Chief Keef & many other upcoming artists with a similar style to anybody else in the game. I am more interested in hearing as to how this mixtape is missing in depth. I honestly think 1999 was an outstanding mixtape...

Last edited:

Estupido1

Jul 24, 2001
I can't agree, but that said if you're going off the remix and not the OG, it's safe to say that you've pretty much said Keef's chorus>their career, which isn't true. At least imo anyway.
On this point, outside of the whole "Free Earl" movement, of which Earl wasn't actually a part, "Don't Like" is greater than anything the other three have done to this point. Keef got a larger deal off of "I Don't Like" than Earl did off of his sabbatical in Samoa. Not by a lot, but they're all at basically the same point in their careers and Keef has the biggest success of the three.

Potential wise, Keef is last because he is not likely to be as successful as someone like Waka Flocka and he doesn't have as much potential for depth.

tm1119

No Longer a Noob
Jan 24, 2005

Don't give a fuck about Earl but 1999 is better than anything Keef is even remotely capable of. That is indeed a pretty ridiculous statement.

>>>>> anything by Chief Keef.

Estupido1

Jul 24, 2001

I could literally make this same exact comment for Chief Keef & many other upcoming artists with a similar style to anybody else in the game. I am more interested in hearing as to how this mixtape is missing in depth. I honestly think 1999 was an outstanding mixtape...
And I'd say there are better tapes, but "Don't Like" is up there with any number of certified bangers. Nothing on Earl, 1999 or Rejex is up there with some of their styles' best offerings. Perhaps "Earl" as far as horrorcore goes, but I'm not much for horrorcore, so I don't know.

Joey is rough around the edges. He hasn't mastered imagery or song structure, his hooks can be deflating, his delivery is a bit underwhelming and in general he just has a lot of room for improvement. I also felt like his beat choices lacked diversity and the tape was a bit long.

Last edited:

In_Your_Heart

No Longer a Noob
Dec 28, 2011
Not to hate on Earl or anything, but he has been coasting off of an EP that wasn't even that good for years. I never understood what he did to deserve all of this...acclaim(?) when he doesn't even have a full length project to his name. In terms of projects worth listening to Tyler, Hodgy, The Internet, Frank, and Domo have more to show in Odd Future alone. When exactly is hype going to translate into substance for Earl? Still waiting

In_Your_Heart

No Longer a Noob
Dec 28, 2011
Tyler and Hodgy, are for one, inferior to Earl in terms of skill. Also, Earl has an upcoming album, next year I think.
Tyler isn't inferior to Earl at all. Goblin and Bastard were both better than Earl. Hodgy has A LOT more enjoyable verses than Earl. Not even close honestly

MFThomas

Super Star
Dec 12, 2011
Maryland
In my opinion, Tyler is severely overrated. His lyrical ability is just not great. Wordplay and storytelling simply are lacking with him.

And I wouldn't even consider Hodgy "good," but that's just me. I haven't listened too that much of him, but from what I've heard, he's just boring.

Last edited:

Solefool

Star
Mar 1, 2011
I don't think any of these guys are polished enough to warrant any of our time. Joey has potential, though.

AO96

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 4, 2009

And I'd say there are better tapes, but "Don't Like" is up there with any number of certified bangers. Nothing on Earl, 1999 or Rejex is up there with some of their styles' best offerings. Perhaps "Earl" as far as horrorcore goes, but I'm not much for horrorcore, so I don't know.

Joey is rough around the edges. He hasn't mastered imagery or song structure, his hooks can be deflating, his delivery is a bit underwhelming and in general he just has a lot of room for improvement. I also felt like his beat choices lacked diversity and the tape was a bit long.

Now I'm getting the feeling that you're judging solely off of impact. Because if you weren't, you wouldn't be bringing up how these songs stack up with their sub-genre. That is completely irrelevant to me since I was only speaking upon the actual quality of the song.

Also, different sub-genres have completely different parameters. Saying a banger song is better than a boom-bap song only because it ranks higher in it's sub-genre is not really saying much....

Estupido1

Jul 24, 2001
No, I was talking about quality. "Don't Like" excels in all the areas you want a track like that to excel. Joey Badass and Earl do a lot of things well, but they haven't really put their skills together in a way that makes them worth listening to over other's with similar styles.

GOAT_367

No Longer a Noob
Dec 11, 2011
The thing is, the I Don't Like Remix was huge in large part to the fact that Kanye got his hands on it, and he got a couple of other big names on the remix; you can't really give Keef the credit for the remix, but if anyone wants to make an argument for the original version of I Don't Like, then I'm up to hear it.

Joey Badass has a ton of potential and I think Capital STEEZ does too, despite the fact he isn't mentioned as much. Joey has great technique, but I agree that his hooks can be pretty underwhelming and he doesn't have amazing mic presence. I think it's interesting that he's rapping over beats that are very 90s in style, but hopefully he's able to pull off a tape that proves he's more than just some rapper who's only gimmick is appealing to the Golden-Age lovers.

Earl can rap really well, but that's it. I thought Earl had some seriously boring production. Tyler may not be as lyrically proficient, but he excels at everything else. Goblin and even Bastard were head and shoulder more interesting than Earl.

Estupido1

Jul 24, 2001
Why does Keef not get credit for having a song dope enough to warrant a remix with features from big name rappers? The chorus is still 100% his and the beat still has most of the gutter sensibility Young Chop's original did, but with some added strings and effects. It's not like because Kanye had his hand in it it's now his song.

My basic point is "Don't Like" is a really good song and while I hear a lot of potential in Earl and Joey Badass, neither of them have released a song that completely utilizes their skills in the way "Don't Like" does for Chief Keef.

Last edited:

AO96

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 4, 2009
No, I was talking about quality. "Don't Like" excels in all the areas you want a track like that to excel. Joey Badass and Earl do a lot of things well, but they haven't really put their skills together in a way that makes them worth listening to over other's with similar styles.

Okay well than "Hardknock" excels in all the areas you want a track like that to excel in...

Last edited:

AO96

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 4, 2009
As far as Earl, he easily is the most talented of the group, but he is almost the least enjoyable to listen to as well...

Then again, haven't heard a project from him in a while so let me not speak too soon...

Last edited:

Estupido1

Jul 24, 2001

Okay well than "Hardknock" excels in all the areas you want a track like that to succeed in...
Meh. His delivery leaves so much to be desired and that hook is terrible. The lyrics to the hook aren't bad, but he doesn't deliver it with any gusto. It's just lazy sounding. Further, that second verse is just a mish-mosh of "the streets are bad, mmmkay?" His focus is all over the place and he fails to really capture a consistent image or theme beyond the generic "streets are hard" motif.

This is why I said he is rough around the edges. There's plenty to like on "Hardknock" but it is far from a complete song. It lacks polish and little focus and structure in his verses would go a long way.

Last edited:

tm1119

No Longer a Noob
Jan 24, 2005
Why does Keef not get credit for having a song dope enough to warrant a remix with features from big name rappers? The chorus is still 100% his and the beat still has most of the gutter sensibility Young Chop's original did, but with some added strings and effects. It's not like because Kanye had his hand in it it's now his song.

My basic point is "Don't Like" is a really good song and while I hear a lot of potential in Earl and Joey Badass, neither of them have released a song that completely utilizes their skills in the way "Don't Like" does for Chief Keef.

Maybe because it doesnt really sound like the original? The original sounds great.....for about 95 seconds. After that it just gets annoying and stupidly repetitive. Like he couldnt have thrown in a quick 16 or 2 just to break up the monotony? Either way youre discounting how impressive it is for a 17 to drop so many dope multis and overall verses over an entire project. Is it a polished great sounding project overall? No, but still very impressive. Youre reference to Illmatic was waaaayyyy to casual too.

Its like Bryce Harper in the MLB right now. Hes really not having that great of a season overall, but when you factor in his age and lack of experience it becomes very impressive (if baseball is your thing).

GOAT_367

No Longer a Noob
Dec 11, 2011

That's a valid point, but I think an even more important question that needs to be asked is what makes "I Don't Like" stand out any more than your average banger? Sure it was a hit song, and a certified banger, but what makes the original truly stand out among the other ones from the past? The Remix has qualities that make it stand out, this I can totally get down with.

Heck, as it stands, what makes us so sure that Chief Keef won't amount to anything more than a one-hit wonder?

jinzorob1

Star
May 13, 2005

Don't give a **** about Earl but 1999 is better than anything Keef is even remotely capable of. That is indeed a pretty ridiculous statement.

>>>>> anything by Chief Keef.
Agreed. Love that shit.

Estupido1

Jul 24, 2001
"Fu** prison letters, those barettas lead us to the lettuce".

zayum.
That line is cheesy. It's pretty shallow outside of the multis and even then, there's nothing particularly mindblowing about rhyming barettas, lead us and lettuce.

In_Your_Heart

No Longer a Noob
Dec 28, 2011
No, I was talking about quality. "Don't Like" excels in all the areas you want a track like that to excel. Joey Badass and Earl do a lot of things well, but they haven't really put their skills together in a way that makes them worthbgenr listening to over other's with similar styles.

Okay well than "Hardknock" excels in all the areas you want a track like that to succeed in...
Meh. His delivery leaves so much to be desired and that hook is terrible. The lyrics to the hook aren't bad, but he doesn't deliver it with any gusto. It's just lazy sounding. Further, that second verse is just a mish-mosh of "the streets are bad, mmmkay?" His focus is all over the place and he fails to really capture a consistent image or theme beyond the generic "streets are hard" motif.

This is why I said he is rough around the edges. There's plenty to like on "Hardknock" but it is far from a complete song. It lacks polish and little focus and structure in his verses would go a long way.
Based on your posts in here I think it's obvious that your standards for Joey's subgenre are far more rigorous and difficult to attain than Keef's are. It sounds like Joey has to be an elite MC or do everything right for him to be worth listening to while all Keef has to do is manage to not give us cancer through his music

Last edited:

tm1119

No Longer a Noob
Jan 24, 2005

Based on your posts in here I think it's obvious that your standards for Joey's subgenre are far more rigorous and difficult to attain than Keef's are. It sounds like Joey has to be an elite MC or do everything right for him to be worth listening to while all Keef has to do is manage to not give us cancer through his music

Best post Ive read in a while

SoRusty_

Allez L'OM
Sep 24, 2011
1999 is the most overrated mixtape of the year by far.

liked it on my first listen, but not alot of replay value.

Earl is pretty overrated like the other OF members and I've never heard a Keef song so can't comment on him.

AO96

Almost Not a Noob
Oct 4, 2009

Best post Ive read in a while

Seriously though...

F*ck my last post, this (IYH's post) is pretty much what I was trying to get across...

Last edited: