Apr 23, 2016
Okay, monster hunter. Its classic. But is it best? It basically launched the hunter style of game as a thing, but I've found that I've liked other hunter games WAY better. God's Eater Burst and Freedom Wars come to mind, but having just finished Toukiden... man... its alright. If we're doing real talk though, it dragged, and the Kiwami content had more Japanisms than I would normally accept even in a light/by-the-numbers story like this.

So, To MH fans, which hunter style games did you like? Were they better/why? Fighting giant monsters is my favorite thing in games, its why I like Dark Souls, its why I like Shadow of the colossus, its a main factor of why I LOVED NieR, but after Toukiden I don't wanna get bogged down in sub-par again DX.

*This thread will be a safe place for blasphemy against all beloved games, my own included. Follow IGN rules though... obligatory statement, but do so anyway.*

SaMoKo

Bad post, please ignore
Jun 19, 2012
I enjoyed Soul Sacrifice. I wouldn't go nearly so far as to say more than Monster Hunter, but I love hunting games and enjoy the variety. The faster pace was nice when I feel like playing something less involved, and I feel they did a better job with the new player experience and tied in more explicit narrative. As far as depth or charm went, it fell short of Monster Hunter. MH has a long tradition of tweaks and enemy variety to draw on, and most other games in the genre will be playing catch-up for some time.

Apr 23, 2016
I didn't realize Soul Sacrifice was a Hunter game! 0.0 Something to look at.
Actually, I think MH is the one playing catch up right now. The other IPs of Hunter games have already expanded into the current gen home-consoles, while MH got caught up in the 3DS. Even MHGen' is banking on just keeping the fanbase they've been retaining since 3 on 3DS. At what point does quantity of monsters and tweaking older mechanics stop being enough?

Idk. I'm hopeful for MHGen', but I'm losing out on the hype.
Guess we'll find out tomorrow XD

GhastlyN

No Longer a Noob
Jan 30, 2004
I have and still play Gods Eater Burst for my PSP. Its a fun game

Plus I also still play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite from time to time for my PSP.

brownie89

The Cosmic Brownie
Feb 1, 2013
The Chocolate Factory
CABELAS-BIG-GAME-HUNTER-PRO-HUNTS-08f469b6-ec16-4666-b2cd-aed0fb85560c_600.jpg

Actually not a bad game believe it or not.

I actually enjoyed Toukiden: Kiwami quite a bit, not better than Monster Hunter but still pretty good. I've enjoyed my time with Final Fantasy Explorers as well.

Apr 23, 2016

I actually enjoyed Toukiden: Kiwami quite a bit, not better than Monster Hunter but still pretty good. I've enjoyed my time with Final Fantasy Explorers as well.

*Prepares the deep, rumbling voice of an operati*
Ahem... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Nothing against the game, haven't played it, but this was one of my least favorite things to see cluttering the shelves of GameStop when I worked there.

brownie89

The Cosmic Brownie
Feb 1, 2013
The Chocolate Factory

*Prepares the deep, rumbling voice of an operati*
Ahem... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Nothing against the game, haven't played it, but this was one of my least favorite things to see cluttering the shelves of GameStop when I worked there.
lol, it's not perfect but it's actually a well done hunting game. The other modern Cabela's games have been pretty bad though.