BlackMantel

The end is nigh, but first...let me zip up my fly!
Jun 7, 2008
R.68cb31d2656ef6476fbe008b9394736f

As has been previously stipulated, 2024 is the worst year in gaming history that we've come across thus far. Not one game has pleased the courts. As per usual, all games here are guilty of being low-quality. In the first six months through previous years, we've seen at least a tiny amount of substance from the likes of...

2023 - Hogwarts Legacy
2022 - Horizon: Forbidden West
2021 - Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
2020 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Nothing this year has at the very least been "just okay" yet. Either the mediocre stamp is broken out or worse. No major gaming highlights have been a driving force this year to compel gamers to continually generate electricity with their systems. Even in the month of June and July we have zero games announced for the first parts of summer. It won't be until August that a game actually lands that might just be the cat's pajamas.

Everything else is coming out in September, while we're still waiting on anything at all to be announced for the last few empty seats in the year. That's going to be a problem when every single playable game (if there are any) will be crammed together and most likely see delays just because all companies decided to wait until the bustling end.

What are your thoughts about all of this nothingness that we've been drowning in?

2tru4youtistru

No Longer a Noob
I guess to me its been fine. If i had unlimited time to game, maybe i wouldnt think so. But thats not the case. If other games had came out already, i wouldnt have bought them anyway. Later in the year will be interesting far as what ill be able to get. Sh2 and astro bot are probable. The new assasins creed game is a definite. No sure about outlaws. The only game that doesnt have a release date that im really interested in is the new dragon age game but i need to see a lot more. Sony has said they plan to start releasing a game around christmas time from now on but i dont see that happening this year esoecially since they already said no mainline games are releasing before march but i guess we will see.

dolcethewhite

Almost Not a Noob
Dec 31, 2022
Your whole schtick is tiring. All you do is complain about gaming and from what I recall, you put over 3k hours into Destiny. Find a new hobby or broaden your horizons in gaming.

sean9986

Super Star
Nov 28, 2005
Your whole schtick is tiring. All you do is complain about gaming and from what I recall, you put over 3k hours into Destiny. Find a new hobby or broaden your horizons in gaming.

He’s also listing games he hated on and said “didn’t count” in their respective years as ones he was able to play and enjoy.

BlackMantel

Jun 7, 2008
He’s also listing games he hated on and said “didn’t count” in their respective years as ones he was able to play and enjoy.
Horizon: Forbidden West, the worst of the games I've listed, scored a 7.3 out of 10 from me. That's not a "bad" score, but rather average. Average games should be made better so that they're good or dare I say it... great! Don't you agree?

There's a reason why I continue to complain (and will continue doing so). Game makers just keep issuing less-than-stellar results in the industry. What else is there to do than point out the obvious truth about this matter?

sean9986

Super Star
Nov 28, 2005
Horizon: Forbidden West, the worst of the games I've listed, scored a 7.3 out of 10 from me. That's not a "bad" score, but rather average. Average games should be made better so that they're good or dare I say it... great! Don't you agree?

There's a reason why I continue to complain (and will continue doing so). Game makers just keep issuing less-than-stellar results in the industry. What else is there to do than point out the obvious truth about this matter?

I liked forbidden west less than you lol but if you can’t find a game to enjoy, then find a new hobby. Only advice I can give

Lumu86

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 19, 2020
We get it, you hate any games from the last 15 years or so, go play "Jet Li: Rise to Honor" or something, and the rest of will enjoy modern games

deuce985

Skittles, Taste The Rainbow
Jun 17, 2007
My thoughts are you need to find a new hobby if you think like you do. That or stick to only playing older games that satisfy you. They're going nowhere through emulation.

I personally have no disagreement from people who say there's a lot of flaws with modern gaming but I also think it's a shortsighted way to look at the hobby. There's arguably many things evolved and better in modern gaming. Are things regressed in some areas? Sure. I like playing older games. I have phases where I'll just play older stuff. I can appreciate newer things too. Lots of innovative things out there if you're willing find it. Look at a game like Balatro in the indie space. Might not be your cup of tea genre but it's an innovative excellent game.

If I focused all my time with negativity you do I'd quit the hobby. I love older games but I like new experiences too. So my advice to you is maybe you should look at different hobbies if you feel this way about gaming or stick to your wheelhouse so you feel happier. If you can't find any modern game to play that pleases you when there's more games than ever coming out both from indie/AAA devs I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

BlackMantel

Jun 7, 2008
My thoughts are you need to find a new hobby if you think like you do. That or stick to only playing older games that satisfy you. They're going nowhere through emulation.

I personally have no disagreement from people who say there's a lot of flaws with modern gaming but I also think it's a shortsighted way to look at the hobby. There's arguably many things evolved and better in modern gaming. Are things regressed in some areas? Sure. I like playing older games. I have phases where I'll just play older stuff. I can appreciate newer things too. Lots of innovative things out there if you're willing find it. Look at a game like Balatro in the indie space. Might not be your cup of tea genre but it's an innovative excellent game.

If I focused all my time with negativity you do I'd quit the hobby. I love older games but I like new experiences too. So my advice to you is maybe you should look at different hobbies if you feel this way about gaming or stick to your wheelhouse so you feel happier. If you can't find any modern game to play that pleases you when there's more games than ever coming out both from indie/AAA devs I don't know what to tell you.
Swapping over to an entirely different hobby isn't going to change my view on how I see the modern age of gaming. It used to be that games being made were consistently enjoyable since there were so many of them that were actually high-quality.

Sure, the olden days had its fair share of zeros (such as every single Castlevania), but I was too busy enjoying all the best games that I favored, whether it was Marble Madness or Metal Gear Solid. Still playing all the oldies, however, is not something I'm too keen on doing. Especially with the unending swamp of ports and remakes. I've no intention of grabbing the Silent Hill 2 remake this year. A lot of people may be hyped for it, but by the looks of the game it comes across a whole lot worse than when that masterpiece originally launched in 2001.

Poker happens to be a game I've never been taught. Although friends have attempted giving me some insight into the game, the rules have never officially stuck with me. There are other card-based indie games I've played in recent years, such as Mahjong (which it wasn't too long ago that I learned how to play that). Earlier this year I also played through a dungeon-crawling game where you use cards to fight off enemies. The game itself was not good at all, but it was something a little different from what I'm used to.

Lately I've been playing through Shady Part of Me, one of the worst puzzle games in existence. Controlling two different characters (from the same person, I'm assuming), both parts are equally obnoxious as you wander through this unbalanced story where a character stops and only starts speaking again once they reach the destined point of the level that gives them their cues. While I'm big on puzzle games that are actually made well, this is exactly the sort of horrible game in my backlog I should stay away from. However, with nothing to play in 2024 it's the kind of scum I've had to put up with while waiting for the extremely long haul of getting a game that I actually do wish to play this year.

2tru4youtistru

No Longer a Noob

THe problem with this thought is this. I love forbidden west. To me its s great game. Has great action, a really good story, and great dlc. Any changes to make it great in your eyes, would make it less so in my eyes, more than likely.