Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot-IGN

<marquee> Crush... Kill... Post Articles... </marq
Mar 28, 2001
Article Comments for [link=http://bluray.ign.com/articles/115/1151063p1.html]All Star Superman Blu-ray Review [/link]
by Cindy White

Summary:
Based on the 12-issue comic series of the same name by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely, All Star Superman is the tenth in the series of DC Universe animated originals created just for the DVD and Blu-ray market. [link=http://bluray.ign.com/articles/115/1151063p1.html]Read Full Article[/link]

Jul 31, 2006
I saw it this week, could be the best Superman stand alone video produced , yeah I think it is , definately a Blu Ray Im buying tommorow . Well acted , well paced , and exceptional music score , Batman has Under the Red Hood , Superman has ALL STAR . 4.5 out of 5.0 stars

bryanee83

Dare to be stupid!!!!!
Jul 8, 2004
I loved it from start to finish, I enjoyed it just as much as I enjoyed Under The Red Hood and Wonder Woman.

LoganSR71

Noob
Apr 8, 2005
Just finished it, it was "weird" in a way but in a good way. I haven't really read a lot of Superman comics, but the ones I have read are mainly just pure action. This was weird to me because it was different Superman story than what I'm used to. It's more dramatic and from Superman's eyes seems more personal, kind of hard to explain. But overall movie was awesome only wished it was longer.

Like the other reviewers before me its just as good as Under the Red Hood and the other DC animations as well as the Marvel animations, so check it out.

Oct 29, 2009
Let me preface this little rant by saying Im a HUGE fan of Superman and the DCAU movie line but this one sucked big time. The plot lines with Samson and Atlus and the krypton astronauts and that talking red star were ridiculous. Superman throws a monstrous star eater at the talking red star and then the star eater is killed and Superman cries "you killed him!" lol i as like wtf. Lame..lame..lame.. This one seemed horribly rushed. SHAME ON YOU BRUCE TIMM!

Jul 29, 2010
There's a certain amount of irony in complaining about the plot lines when they pretty much mimic the comic mini-series, which is critically acclaimed. So what that basically means is there's something lost in translation here... if you never read the mini, then the movie might not seem coherent and a bit spastic.

There are also elements from the book that were cut from the film... really interesting, make you think kind of elements. the book was meant to be an ode to Superman... stories that showcased Superman's myth. Its too bad that same feel didn't come across in the cartoon.

However... there IS something to complain about and its the horrendous soundtrack. That score is about the most over-dramatic, weepingly cheesy score I have ever heard in ANY movie. It was way overused and ruined quite a few scenes.

RIP to McDuffie, I know he did his best trying to translate this book into a film and give him kudos for trying. If any of you ever read the books, you'll understand. Its one of those that you would sit back and think, "How could they ever make this into a movie or cartoon? How?".

mrshock13

Almost Not a Noob
Jul 6, 2007
Rarely do I comment on this site nowadays, but something about this film made me want to just throw out my 2 cents.

I'm a huge Batman fan. I absorb anything and everything Batman; he's my absolute favorite comicbook superhero. This is opposite of my feelings for Superman; I find him rather boring, and the blind optimism sometimes shown irritates me rather much, among other complaints I have with Superman that I've built up over the years.

Getting into the film, I've never read the source material, but now I really want to. I'm not sure what it was about this film, maybe the poignant ending, or even the deliberately slower, methodical, pace the film took, or just the sum of its admittedly disjointed parts, but I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I'll definitely have to give it a second watch in the coming days, but something about this film placed it right up there, for me, among the best (or my favorite) of the DC animated films.

I hated Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, for the reason that there was little Batman, and the film was just bad in every sense of the word. The action couldn't even save it. To bring this around to a point, after the deserved brilliance and love I have for Under The Red Hood, this movie really took me to a different place, and made me finally like, even ENJOY, the character of Superman. And for that, this film is great in my eyes. Obviously, it has its problems and issues, but for the reason that I actually liked, and REALLY enjoyed, a film with Superman as the main character, this was a great movie.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie

Feb 6, 2008
Having read the source material I can say that this film is extremely faithful to those issues of the comic it does adapt, but numerous issues it omits altogether. This is a shame considering that the film is less than an hour and a half long.

While it was probably a wise move to leave the Bizzaro world sub-plot out, I would have liked more from the eleventh issue (particularly one of Superman's twelve labors in which he creates life in order to observe what a world would look like without Superman, which is then implied to be our own).

I am not a fan of either the classic Bruce Timm style of animation or Frank Quietly's crude lines in the comics, so this amalgamation of the two styles makes for a poor visual experience in the film.

In the end, because of the superbly written source material, this is DC's best animated movie to date, but I can't help but wish that it had been made as a live action miniseries or web-series instead.

adv2k1

Prime Member
Sep 27, 2001
I really disagree with the movie review. The slower pace helps to give more emotion and impact to the story. Yeah it's complex story with several subplots but you get good bang for your buck.

Vladimon

Noob
Jul 28, 2010
This superman DVD was so awesome! I think this is how a superman movie should be like: more sci-fi orientated... would've make it more interesting

Jan 28, 2009
i have to disagree with the review. i haven't read the comic so i guess it's preventing me from being so judgmental on the material that is being skipped, but i found the movie to be one of the most humbling superman stories i've ever seen. it was highly enjoyable and i didn't think the changes in scenery were disjointed they seemed to flow well enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.