Status
Not open for further replies.

sng-ign

電 子 遊 戲 師 傅
Aug 6, 2002
UPDATE MAY 16th 2020: https://www.ign.com/wikis/how-to/

If you have trouble creating or updating a wiki for a game on IGN, feel free to ask about it, and the staff or wiki moderator will attempt to assist you.

Wiki-moderators, please visit the www.ign.com/boards/forums/new-mod-flow.80147/ for moderation protocol (and links) on wikis.

Thanks [face_peace]

A simple go-to list for some static wikis on IGN that you may not find through normal means.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hardcore_Hector

Gamer, YouTuber, Blogger
Aug 23, 2010
Lodi, CA
How can we change/add the background picture of a certain Wiki instead of those default 2 black bars?

You can run the image by a wiki moderator and we'll fix it up so it fits on the wiki.

I just got promoted to being a Moderator, unless there is different types of Moderators.

There are Wiki Moderators and Board Moderators and Comment Moderators I believe. I haven't heard anything about a new Wiki Moderator.

kingbren

An All-Star, Somehow
Jul 17, 2009
Dublin
You can run the image by a wiki moderator and we'll fix it up so it fits on the wiki.

I just got promoted to being a Moderator, unless there is different types of Moderators.

There are Wiki Moderators and Board Moderators and Comment Moderators I believe. I haven't heard anything about a new Wiki Moderator.
Check out his wall, Stephanie made him a mod a few days ago. And I've been wondering how making background works too. I haven't been able to find anything about it.

Last edited:

War-hawk

Noob
Nov 10, 2011
I'm somewhat new to IGN Forums and all. I do have a question. Years ago I had submitted my Silent Hill guide on here sometime after finishing it back in October of 2003 and was posted on GameFAQs. I had tried e-mailing a updated version of the guide to faqs@ign.com but it had came back saying Failure Notice. Although I do plan of after initial guide is up on GameFAQs, I intend of having it be up on here as well to help broaden where they appear on. So my question is where do I go since I had trouble sending via e-mail?

Hardcore_Hector

Gamer, YouTuber, Blogger
Aug 23, 2010
Lodi, CA
I'm somewhat new to IGN Forums and all. I do have a question. Years ago I had submitted my Silent Hill guide on here sometime after finishing it back in October of 2003 and was posted on GameFAQs. I had tried e-mailing a updated version of the guide to faqs@ign.com but it had came back saying Failure Notice. Although I do plan of after initial guide is up on GameFAQs, I intend of having it be up on here as well to help broaden where they appear on. So my question is where do I go since I had trouble sending via e-mail?

I'm not sure where you can update anymore, but you can edit the Silent Hill wiki all by yourself:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/silent-hill

And here are all the old Walkthroughs / FAQs

http://www.ign.com/faqs/games/silent-hill/ps-3982

Sep 17, 2009
Concerning the updating of wikis, I seem to be unable to undo an edit. Is function no longer available to those who aren't Mods?

MeHighLow

Noob
Sep 21, 2010
Actually i was thinked to use the same text from the game website. Copy the text from game website and past that to notepad,then from noted pad to ign wiki so i wont get the same color of the text like on game website.

Hardcore_Hector

Gamer, YouTuber, Blogger
Aug 23, 2010
Lodi, CA
Actually i was thinked to use the same text from the game website. Copy the text from game website and past that to notepad,then from noted pad to ign wiki so i wont get the same color of the text like on game website.

It's still best to re-write it in your own words. A lot of time they just add a lot of fluff to extend a page out or something.

knives000

Noob
Sep 2, 2012
Hi, i've been trying to upload a few pics for a wiki but it keeps saying upload failed, i've checked out the starters guide to see if i was using an incorrect format and it was fine, then i changed the size of it and it still will not upload, i was able to upload pics when i was editing the dragon's crown wiki, did they change it so only mods can upload pics/vids now?

Hardcore_Hector

Gamer, YouTuber, Blogger
Aug 23, 2010
Lodi, CA
Hi, i've been trying to upload a few pics for a wiki but it keeps saying upload failed, i've checked out the starters guide to see if i was using an incorrect format and it was fine, then i changed the size of it and it still will not upload, i was able to upload pics when i was editing the dragon's crown wiki, did they change it so only mods can upload pics/vids now?

Our uploader just sucks like that. It almost always says upload failed even if it worked. You can always reload the page or check the recent changes section to see if the pics are there.

Dec 29, 2011
hi, ive been doing some editing recently a little and am having a trouble where one out of four times the rich text editor will not load properly. its just the box with no content inside where an exiting page should be.

then when it does work it wont save properly, the content will be there but often formatted wrong, when i have formatted it properly as far as i know in the editor.

Samuel-IGN

Prime Member
Jan 27, 2009
So this is a problem with the rich text editor we were hoping would be fixed today -- but it looks like it's still happening, so our engineers will have to dig deeper. There are some workarounds that involve using the markup/code view as much as possible and avoiding the rich text editor. Also, it's usually only pages with lots of images that have trouble loading, so that's something you should keep in mind.

Wiki markup is actually really easy to learn and use, and most of us already use it, so the rich text editor, when working, is just a nice bonus. Embedding images is the most annoying thing, but you can upload them in rich text and then use the file names to embed them with code.

If you want some help with formatting and using the code view, let anyone on this board know (start a new thread). Or write the wikisupport email I sent you. We'd be happy to make a code template for you to follow or help out in any way.

Dec 29, 2011
i try and use the code view as best i can but prefer working in the rich text editor. im getting the this content hasnt saved properly message when pressing save from the code view as well? again content is all there and fine just telling me it hasnt saved when for all intents and purposes it has?

Hardcore_Hector

Gamer, YouTuber, Blogger
Aug 23, 2010
Lodi, CA
i try and use the code view as best i can but prefer working in the rich text editor. im getting the this content hasnt saved properly message when pressing save from the code view as well? again content is all there and fine just telling me it hasnt saved when for all intents and purposes it has?

It happens from time to time.

Hangingcliff

The bearded bandito
May 4, 2011
South Africa
Ok so I am struggling a bit to create a hub for a new wiki> I read the wiki how to section over twice. All I can find is a style guide on what icons to use and a templates section on what pictures to use but nothing about HOW to use them? Any help?

Hardcore_Hector

Gamer, YouTuber, Blogger
Aug 23, 2010
Lodi, CA
Ok so I am struggling a bit to create a hub for a new wiki> I read the wiki how to section over twice. All I can find is a style guide on what icons to use and a templates section on what pictures to use but nothing about HOW to use them? Any help?

A hub? Like the images at the bottom of the front page? If so, only moderators can do that.

Hangingcliff

The bearded bandito
May 4, 2011
South Africa

A hub? Like the images at the bottom of the front page? If so, only moderators can do that.

Thanks, yeah it took me a while to realise that. No worries it was sorted out anyway.

Blazer99

Noob
Nov 4, 2013
Gaming World
Hello MODs.

Umm.. I am having a problem in Game Wikis. I tried editing a Wiki Today, but then. After 2 hours, tried to edit that Wiki again. But when I clicked on "Edit Page", I went to the Edit page, I can see the 3 Buttons & the Nav. But the Rich Text Editor isn't opening. I thought it was a problem in my Internet, but when I reloaded it. I still experienced the same problem. After 4 hours,Problem was still there.

Please support me with some help, I want to add some gaming knowledge. [face_nerd]

Every Help would be appreciated. Would be thankful.
Blazer99

Blazer99

Noob
Nov 4, 2013
Gaming World
Hello MODs.

Umm.. I am having a problem in Game Wikis. I tried editing a Wiki Today, but then. After 2 hours, tried to edit that Wiki again. But when I clicked on "Edit Page", I went to the Edit page, I can see the 3 Buttons & the Nav. But the Rich Text Editor isn't opening. I thought it was a problem in my Internet, but when I reloaded it. I still experienced the same problem. After 4 hours,Problem was still there.

Please support me with some help, I want to add some gaming knowledge. [face_nerd]

Every Help would be appreciated. Would be thankful.
Blazer99
EDIT!: My problem is solved, No problem for me! ;)

lmcontaldi

Noob
May 29, 2013
I'm trying to create a Wiki for Velocity 2X to no avail -- it keeps giving me an error message. Any way to troubleshoot around this?

Hardcore_Hector

Gamer, YouTuber, Blogger
Aug 23, 2010
Lodi, CA

VampireHorde2

Almost Not a Noob
Feb 18, 2010
Hollywood, CA
I am attempting to Edit a wiki, http://www.ign.com/wikis/lego-batman-3-beyond-gotham/Easter_Eggs . I click edit, add what I intend, and add a description at the bottom, but when I click save, it just jumps back up to the top of the page without saving. Save and Preview buttons do nothing, the only one that does anything is Cancel.

I've had the same issue and it all has to do with Adblocker (or any program similar to removing ads on sites). When you disable Adblocker, all the IGN popups will show up and slow down your PC performance (especially that annoying 4-inch bully anti-smoking ad), but at least the edit buttons for the Wikis will start working again. Try it and see if it works.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2014
Hello, this is more of a style question than a tech question. I'm doing some small editing of the Lego Batman 3 walkthrough as I play through with it - just clarifications or adding stuff that I found. But I just ran into a level where a couple of the directions in the walkthrough didn't work and I had to solve them a completely different way. But Lego games being what they are, I can't be sure whether the walkthrough is wrong, or I was doing something wrong. Could be that the puzzles have more than one solution.

So the question is, is it cool to just delete the solution since I couldn't verify that it actually does work? Or is there a good way to say that it might not work and players can also try xyz, without overly editorialising on the wiki?

[newbie who may be overthinking it]

Hardcore_Hector

Gamer, YouTuber, Blogger
Aug 23, 2010
Lodi, CA
I am attempting to Edit a wiki, http://www.ign.com/wikis/lego-batman-3-beyond-gotham/Easter_Eggs . I click edit, add what I intend, and add a description at the bottom, but when I click save, it just jumps back up to the top of the page without saving. Save and Preview buttons do nothing, the only one that does anything is Cancel.

I've had the same issue and it all has to do with Adblocker (or any program similar to removing ads on sites). When you disable Adblocker, all the IGN popups will show up and slow down your PC performance (especially that annoying 4-inch bully anti-smoking ad), but at least the edit buttons for the Wikis will start working again. Try it and see if it works.
Oh hey, that fixed it.

My computer is great, so I don't experience slow down. But I hate how something pops in and drops the page or something. I try clicking on a link, but I end up clicking on a different link because of the page shift!

andreweisen

Prime Member
Aug 2, 2000
Hello, this is more of a style question than a tech question. I'm doing some small editing of the Lego Batman 3 walkthrough as I play through with it - just clarifications or adding stuff that I found. But I just ran into a level where a couple of the directions in the walkthrough didn't work and I had to solve them a completely different way. But Lego games being what they are, I can't be sure whether the walkthrough is wrong, or I was doing something wrong. Could be that the puzzles have more than one solution.

So the question is, is it cool to just delete the solution since I couldn't verify that it actually does work? Or is there a good way to say that it might not work and players can also try xyz, without overly editorialising on the wiki?

[newbie who may be overthinking it]

Hi. I'm the guy writing the guide. Please feel free to clarify anything that doesn't make sense and if my solution is flat out wrong (which can happen, I write as I go and haven't proofed the walkthrough yet) go ahead and replace it. As long as it works, I'm happy.

Or, if you'd prefer, flag the page with an ATTN: Andrew, point out what's wrong and I'll verify and correct it when I get a chance. I'll be working on it all weekend so I should be fairly quick to respond.

Andrew Eisen

Nov 15, 2014
Thanks Andrew! I don't mind making the change - just wanted to make sure I wasn't starting out my wiki career by breaking any unspoken community guidelines.

Malop3

Noob
Mar 29, 2015
When pressing "Wiki, create thyself button" after filling in the required fields on the "Create a new wiki" page,
the page just refreshes and the wiki is not created.
How do I fix this?

Hardcore_Hector

Gamer, YouTuber, Blogger
Aug 23, 2010
Lodi, CA
When pressing "Wiki, create thyself button" after filling in the required fields on the "Create a new wiki" page,
the page just refreshes and the wiki is not created.
How do I fix this?
If you followed all the steps on the page, but are still having issues, try turning off adblock. If it still doesn't work, tell me which wiki you want to create and I'll create it for you.

Malop3

Noob
Mar 29, 2015
hi
I tried turning off ad block and it doesnt seem to work for some reason
I was hoping you could please create a wiki for "Under the Sun" (game)

Chillzzy

Noob
Oct 15, 2015
Hello, this actualy happens for a quite some time. I can't add any info to certain pages of walkthroughs in which I could before. No text, no vids. In some older ones, I can. This thing is, pages aren't locked, but this error/message pops up. However, nothing is done to fix the issue. Any help?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    12 KB · Views: 37

MarkRyan-IGN

WORLD WARRIOR
★ STAFF
Feb 10, 2004
San Francisco, California
Hello, this actualy happens for a quite some time. I can't add any info to certain pages of walkthroughs in which I could before. No text, no vids. In some older ones, I can. This thing is, pages aren't locked, but this error/message pops up. However, nothing is done to fix the issue. Any help?
Can you link me to one of the pages that's giving you this error, and also one of the pages that is not giving you this error?

What sort of edit are you making when this happens?

Thanks!

Chillzzy

Noob
Oct 15, 2015
Can you link me to one of the pages that's giving you this error, and also one of the pages that is not giving you this error?

What sort of edit are you making when this happens?

Thanks!

I'll try.
In this one and much more pages I can't make any changes, cause of mentioned error http://www.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Daddy's_Little_Girl
Another one from different game wiki :
http://www.ign.com/wikis/fallout-4/edit/Pinned (in this one I could before, like 2 months ago)
(Im either trying to correct wrong info or add a video to these types of wikis)
Now, in this page, I can edit and add any info :
http://www.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Marriage_Counseling
(atleast I could like 2 weeks before, gotta mention - this error happening like 2 months or more, actually lost a track for how long)

To summarize I can't edit like 99% of wikis with either text or videos for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.