HuskerTornado

♪ Your delusions are yours, and not mine ♪
Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
USC hires Lincoln Riley (Oklahoma)

Florida hires Billy Napier (Louisiana)

Napier was someone I wanted to target if Nebraska fired Frost this year.

Oklahoma said to eyeing Kliff Kingsbury.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Yup

Means Fickell to ND. Funny because talk earlier was Fickell to OU being a real possibility, but he likely picks ND over OU now. Maybe Matt Campbell, but I think his stock might have fallen.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown

This keeps going back and forth, yesterday it sounded like they were waiting to see if Kelly was going to retain him. Home state vs Alma mater. Would be a great get for recruiting which this staff sorely needs.

I wonder if they can put an offensive staff together of all former NU QBs...
61a658d1bf446.image.jpg

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Pitt OC Mark Whipple resigned today, rumors are he is taking the Nebraska OC position. But rumors are also that he is resigning for family reasons.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
Made official today

Not sure how this is going to work out. Whipple's 64, lots of experience at multiple levels, including coaching Roethlisberger with the Steelers in his early years. But 2021 was his best offense, with a Heisman finalist at QB in Pickett. I don't think Frost is fully giving up the play calling duties, so I think he's bringing Whipple in as co-OC and mentor. But they can't throw it around the yard in the B1G as much as Whipple typically calls.

Donovan Raiola is the younger brother of all time great Nebraska and NFL center Dominic. Don played at Wisconsin, been an assistant OL coach with the Bears the past few years, but not much else. I thought they'd go after a veteran like Herb Hand. Dominic's son, Dylan, is possibly the best QB in the 2024 class, seems like Georgia and Alabama are his top choices at the moment....so hard not to think this is a move in part to try and get him to Lincoln instead. OL coach is the biggest need and hopefully Don is going to be the real deal. If he's still in Lincoln come 2023-4, I would think they've turned things around and Dylan may be a realistic shot at that point.

Hard to be overly optimistic at this point about anything until things show themselves on the field, though.

Nebraska still has 1 coaching spot left, but these vacancies
RB coach
Special Teams coordinator

Ron Brown and Bill Busch are rumored to be moving from analysts to those roles, but that means someone has to leave. Maybe one of the LB coaches. Brown is a boring hire, he's been on and off Nebraska staffs since the Osborne era.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown
I thought Kelly would try to keep at least Mickey Joseph or Corey Raymond. Both gone. Nice get for Florida. Wonder how many of these LSU players in the portal or decommits are going to end up in Gainesville or Lincoln now.

Clemson losing their AD, DC, and likely OC.

HuskerTornado

Oct 14, 2001
Parts Unknown

The other day, some dumb media member in Miami asked Cristobal if he'd consider hiring Diaz as DC.... lol

Last edited:

whitesox213

#RESPECT
Aug 29, 2005
I think kirk retires if they go to another rose bowl

he wanted brian to succeed him, but there's no way that happens now