Impact on Google Cloud organisation resource after Workspace merge

I've been searching high and low for a concrete answer for this and I can't find anything. I've read most of the Google Cloud docs on hierarchy too (here)!

The scenario is - We have 2 companies in our group, each with their own separate Google workspace, and own separate Google Cloud. Lets call them Company A and Company B. The workspace for each company is linked as the identity provider to create the organisation resource in each of their Google Cloud Platforms. So everything is completely separate.

However,  soon they want to transfer all users from Google Workspace A to Google Workspace B (and register the domain as an additional domain in Company B's workspace). That's all fine - however we DON'T want to change anything in our Google Cloud environment, i.e. I would like to keep the organisation resources completely separate and leave the current structure in Company A as it is. We have separate ways of working and different org policies in GCP and no reason to merge anything for the Google Cloud part.

My question is - will the workspace migration have any impact on our Google Cloud organisation for Company A, once it's domain has been migrated across to Google Workspace for Company B?

Solved Solved
1 3 216
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yep, I've used Gemini for that and combined my exp with Geminis' reply 😉 
(sometimes I;m using Gemini, because it's giving so beautifully styled response , but believe or not, always verifying content of each response ;))

Basically that's true, as you are switching IDP from Company A to Company B, so normal thing that email suffix will change. AFAIR you could add email alias or secondary email and be able to utilize emails from company A in terms of IAM, OR you can add entire domain from Company A to IAM at Company B and you will be able to utilize old-org A principals 😉 

--
cheers,
DamianS
LinkedIn medium.com Cloudskillsboost

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hello @SARAH7698346  ,Welcome on Google Cloud Community.

No, migrating users from Google Workspace A to Google Workspace B will not directly impact your Google Cloud organization for Company A. The two platforms are separate, and migrating user identities will not affect your existing Google Cloud resources, projects, or configurations.

Google Workspace:

• Users from Company A will be migrated to Google Workspace B.
  • The domain used for Company A's Google Workspace will be added as an additional domain in Company B's workspace.
  • Users will have access to Google Workspace services like Gmail, Drive, and Calendar under the new domain.

Google Cloud:

• Your existing Google Cloud organization for Company A will remain untouched.
  • Projects, resources, and configurations within the organization will not be affected.
  • Users will continue to access Google Cloud resources using their existing identities and permissions.

Important Considerations:

• Billing: Ensure that billing for both Google Workspace and Google Cloud is properly configured for each company.
  • Identity Management: If you use Google Workspace for identity management in Google Cloud, you may need to adjust your configurations to reflect the migrated users.
  • Data Access: Review data access policies for migrated users to ensure they have appropriate access to Google Cloud resources.

Additional Resources:

Migrating users from Google Workspace A to Google Workspace B will not directly impact your Google Cloud organization for Company A. However, it's essential to consider billing, identity management, and data access implications to ensure a smooth transition.

--
cheers,
DamianS

Thanks Damian - I'm sure this is a very similar reply to what Gemini AI gave me in the Cloud console! 😁

However, I've since had a meeting with someone who provides Google Cloud support for us (it's through a third party who have access to Google engineers), and they have said that it will impact Google Cloud platform, in that when a new primary domain is associated with Company A, all identities (i.e. the email address) of a user in IAM in GCP, will have the updated email address.

Yep, I've used Gemini for that and combined my exp with Geminis' reply 😉 
(sometimes I;m using Gemini, because it's giving so beautifully styled response , but believe or not, always verifying content of each response ;))

Basically that's true, as you are switching IDP from Company A to Company B, so normal thing that email suffix will change. AFAIR you could add email alias or secondary email and be able to utilize emails from company A in terms of IAM, OR you can add entire domain from Company A to IAM at Company B and you will be able to utilize old-org A principals 😉 

--
cheers,
DamianS