Disadvantages of using 1 big table with slices vs 3 smaller tables?

I have three tables (Notes, Tasks, Jobs) and I'm thinking of combining them into one table and having a "Type" column and show relevant fields based on whether the type is Note, Task, or Job.

There are several columns in each table which serve the same purpose - an Address ref, a Scheduled date, Priority, etc. So the total number of columns in the new table would be less than the total of the three combined. Each one has around 30 columns and the total in the combined table would be 40-50.

The main reasons I want to do this:

I have dashboard view showing all three tables and I'd like to have a detail view in the dashboard but I'm not sure if you can have the detail view switch between different tables, whereas if they were all on the same table this wouldn't be a problem.

I have an Agendas table and a many-to-many join table to join Agendas and Tasks, but I also would like to be able to include rows from Notes without having to make another join table and a bunch of extra actions and stuff.

Would there be a difference in performance doing this? And would there be any issues with referencing rows from the same table (because Tasks reference Jobs)?

Also, would there be a way to, when creating a new row from a slice, have it automatically select the relevant type? So if I go to Add a row from the Tasks slice view, the "Tasks" type is automatically selected?

Solved Solved
0 3 64
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

#1 - It depends a little bit about your data and table structure + what is the data source, but in generally speaking the less tables is better one. Having 40..50 columns is not an issue. 
#2 - Yes you can have a reference to its own table
#3 - Yes it's possible. You can for example read the view name with the CONTEXT("View") and then based on that, select the correct value.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

#1 - It depends a little bit about your data and table structure + what is the data source, but in generally speaking the less tables is better one. Having 40..50 columns is not an issue. 
#2 - Yes you can have a reference to its own table
#3 - Yes it's possible. You can for example read the view name with the CONTEXT("View") and then based on that, select the correct value.

Awesome, thank you

You're welcome!

Top Labels in this Space