Home Forums Daytime TV 2024 Daytime Emmys citations thread

2024 Daytime Emmys citations thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
EmmyLoser
FreemanGriffin
Celtic DW
    Topics:

We are at the beginning of a new year and it’s time for a new thread! (:

I will start us off by citing General Hospital for Drama Series, Directing and Writing – a truly superb episode! The truth comes out about who turned Drew and Carly in to the SEC; Brook Lynn and Chase talked about Gregory’s skydiving; Lois and Olivia had a huge fight; Lois was telling Sonny the truth and then turned it over to Michael; Nina and Willow had a wonderful mother-daughter moment; Carly learned that Bobbie has died.

I also want to cite the fantastic performances on this episode from Cynthia Watros, Maurice Benard, Chad Duell, Lisa LoCiero (wow!), Rena Sofer, and Josh Swickard!

Topics:

Very exciting kicking off the new thread! In the interest of being better at citations than I was last year:

Monday, January 1, 2024
    Days of our Lives
    Best Actress
    Arianne Zucker – Nicole Walker DiMera
    Best Supporting Actor
    Jamie Martin Mann – Tate Black

Tate finds Holly unconscious and foaming at the mouth behind The Bistro, along with the empty bag of whatever drugs she’d taken. He tries to revive her but is immediately seen by a patrolling police officer. Tate is questioned by police at the scene and then later at the hospital, and he and Brady try to find out what Holly’s condition is. Tate is stunned when his mother asks if he was taking drugs with Holly. Nicole and EJ ring in the new year together at home, making love and finally feeling somewhat after peace after the loss of their son. Rafe calls Nicole to tell her about Holly’s overdose, and she rushes to the hospital. Nicole is devastated to find Holly has slipped into a coma and terrified of losing the only daughter she has left. Nicole tearfully sings Holly a lullaby.

Ari Zucker is not slowing down and continuing to deliver stellar work as Nicole worries that she’ll lose her daughter. Jamie Martin Mann, who has really done a nice job as Tate since his arrival, does an excellent job of being shocked and afraid in these scenes. With the recent change in eligibility, he’s too old for the younger performer category (I believe he is 20), and so would have to compete in supporting actor, where he would likely have a very hard time getting in. But it was worth a mention.

It is also worth noting that while the overall episode didn’t really have quite enough happening to be a best drama series entry, it was a stronger episode than most of what’s been produced by DAYS lately. The flow of things made sense, there were strong performances, there were a reasonable number of background actors for the situations, storylines felt connected. I hope we can expect more of this going forward.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

I wish the eligibility age was 21 and under. it makes more sense. 25 was too old, but 18 seems a tad too young.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

We are at the beginning of a new year and it’s time for a new thread! (:

I will start us off by citing General Hospital for Drama Series, Directing and Writing – a truly superb episode! The truth comes out about who turned Drew and Carly in to the SEC; Brook Lynn and Chase talked about Gregory’s skydiving; Lois and Olivia had a huge fight; Lois was telling Sonny the truth and then turned it over to Michael; Nina and Willow had a wonderful mother-daughter moment; Carly learned that Bobbie has died.

I also want to cite the fantastic performances on this episode from Cynthia Watros, Maurice Benard, Chad Duell, Lisa LoCiero (wow!), Rena Sofer, and Josh Swickard!

Cynthia Watros was really masterful in the nuances of what she was doing with Nina’s emotions throughout this episode, and Lisa LoCicero and Rena Sofer were really dynamic in the Olivia/Lois fight, but Chad Duell was the MVP of the episode for me. It looked like Michael was in physical pain with each answer Sonny demanded. Laura Wright was also incredible in that final scene.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Monday, January 15 through Wednesday, January 17, 2024
    General Hospital
    Outstanding Guest Performer – Adam Huss (Nikolas Cassadine)[1/15 & 1/16]
    Outstanding Supporting Actor – Nicholas Alexander Chavez (Spencer Cassadine)[1/15 – 1/17]
    Outstanding Supporting Actress – Avery Pohl (Esme Prince)[1/17]

On Monday, Nikolas and Spencer reunite, discuss everything that’s happened between them, and apologize for the ways they feel they’ve failed one another. On Tuesday, Nikolas finally meets his son Ace and tries to convince Spencer that they should all leave together. Spencer refuses to go, but, believing that Esme has gotten her memories back, lets Nikolas take Ace with him for Ace’s own good. On Wednesday, Esme is already upset with Spencer for not bringing Ace to her hearing, and is furious when she learns that Spencer let Nikolas leave with Ace.

These three actors all gave stellar performances playing out this big story turn. I was incredibly impressed with Adam Huss and how well he inhabited the Nikolas character despite his very limited history in the role. I really felt the gravity of the history between Nikolas and Spencer. NAC always delivers, and he was excellent with both the emotional reunion between Spencer and his father and Spencer saying goodbye to his baby brother. Finally, it was great to see Esme unleashed again as her true self. Even though Esme is pretending not to have her memories back, the portrayal of this character has completely changed, and Avery has done that seamlessly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Wednesday, January 17, 2024
    Days of our Lives
    Outstanding Supporting Actress – Jessica Serfaty (Sloan Peterson)

Sloan and Eric have Marlena and John over to dinner so that Sloan can get to know Eric’s parents better. Nervous about how the dinner will go, Sloan gets drunk and makes a fool of herself.

These scenes were really fun, and Serfaty played Sloan’s inebriation and insecurity to perfection.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

I am citing Genera Hospital for Best Directing for the January 31, 2024 episode – shootout at Sonny’s place in Puerto Rico; Esme tangles with Trina and Spencer; Crimson and Deception powwow; and a fiery confrontation between Olivia, Lois and Nina! So exciting!!!

Great performances all around, especially Cynthia Watros, Lisa LoCicero, Jane Elliot, Tabyana Ali, Nicholas Chavez and Avery Kristen Pohl!

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

I am citing Genie Francis (Laura, General Hospital) for her performances late last week pertaining to Spencer’s “death” and the return of her prodigal son (well, one of them!) Nikolas with baby Ace in his arms… very fine work from the brilliant GF!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Agreed, Genie was wonderful in the Friday scenes. I expect she’ll be fantastic today as well with Nikolas having shown up at the end of Friday’s episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Genie Francis has been spellbinding these last couple weeks. Her standout (Emmy-worthy) scene for me was in the 2/1 episode (on the boat in Paris) where Laura admits to Dante she can’t imagine a world without Spencer. Just phenomenal work!

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Friday, February 16, 2024
    General Hospital
    Outstanding Supporting Actress
    Eden McCoy — Josslyn Jacks

Josslyn is desperate to talk to Sonny to convince him not to kill Dex. She becomes increasingly frantic at Sonny’s penthouse as she pleads with Ava to tell her where Sonny is or call him so she can speak to him. Ava insists there’s nothing she can do to change Sonny’s mind about it, and Joss storms off. She arrives at Dex’s to find Sonny there. Sonny tells her that Dex is gone and gives her a letter from Dex with his dog tags. Joss tells Sonny that she hates him and will never forgive him for this.

Great work by Eden McCoy in this scenes! The emotion is high throughout the episode, but it shifts through phases as she feels more and more hopeless as the episode goes on. Considering how few scenes Joss and Dex have had together lately, it feels even more impressive that the emotions are so convincing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Monday, February 19, 2024
    Days of our Lives
    Outstanding Supporting Actress
    Elia Cantu — Jada Hunter

Jada finally comes face to face with Everett and immediately says that he is her ex-husband Bobby. Everett insists he’s never seen Jada before and that she must be mistaken, even after Jada shows everyone a photo of Bobby, who does look exactly like Everett. Jada tries to convince Rafe and Stephanie that she’s right, clearly hurt and rattled at the sight of the man who broke her heart. Jada wants to go to the police station and resolve the matter right away, but Rafe convinces her to hold off and enjoy the rest of their evening together, tabling the Bobby/Everett issue until the next day.

Elia Cantu does a wonderful job playing these scenes, and she gives Jada a whole range of emotions that aren’t really in her dialogue but that enhance the scenes so much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Thursday, February 29th (The Bold and the Beautiful)

I’m citing Tanner Novlen (Finn) for either Lead or Supporting Actor as Finn grapples with Sheila’s death and Steffy’s involvement in her death. I thought it was great acting from him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

Thursday, February 29th (The Bold and the Beautiful) I’m citing Tanner Novlen (Finn) for either Lead or Supporting Actor as Finn grapples with Sheila’s death and Steffy’s involvement in her death. I thought it was great acting from him.

Excellent citation! I would include Wednesday’s (Feb 28) and Friday’s (March 1) episodes but Thursday’s was undoubtedly the pinnacle, particularly in terms of Tanner’s performances. The intensity reached its zenith, with Tanner’s portrayal evoking profound emotions, especially the moment when tears welled up in his eyes and trickled down his nose in the scene where Finn put in his hand in that pool of blood. Novlan’s portrayal was nothing short of remarkable, masterfully depicting Finn’s inner turmoil as he navigates the complex emotions stemming from the revelation of his birth mother’s death at the hands of his wife, Steffy, in an act of self-defense.

ReplyCopy URL
    Topics:

March 7th (The Young and the Restless)

I’m citing Amelia Heinle (Victoria) for Supporting Actress as a devastated Victoria watches her home burn to the ground. I would be devastated too if it was my own home. I thought Amelia looked so real with her acting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.