Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 16 hours ago
[3/27 Staff Update] Discontinuation of the Photostream Edit Pages
Latest: 4 months ago
[Important Announcement] Flickr forever: Creating the safest most inclusive photography community on the planet
Latest: 29 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 50 months ago

Current Discussion

Mobile App ~ cannot copy information from caption
Latest: 9 hours ago
Signing in problem
Latest: 15 hours ago
Cannot delete tags in flickr[.]com/photos/%yourname%/tags
Latest: 17 hours ago
Grey Placeholder
Latest: 33 hours ago
New Items E-mail
Latest: 2 days ago
Cannot upload images...
Stats almost never load since a couple of weeks
When will adding a photos to groups be fixed
When will adding (and removing) a photos to albums be fixed
selling images
I can not see all my comments
Edited photos, where do they go?
Latest: 3 days ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Alternatives for FLICKR

Bill Kret says:

My Camera Roll (date taken) is not working.
I have been waiting over half a year for a solution for the issue.
Flickr Support is not willing to give priority to my issue.
Therefore I have no other option than to investigate alternative solutions.
Who can recommend other photo backup solutions and how to transfer my files from Flickr to the new platform ?
Posted at 4:58AM, 7 July 2024 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

Shannonsong says:

Following
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Bill Kret:

recommend other photo backup solutions

flickr is not a backup solution. For that I would like into cloud storage -- google etc.

view photos

Snapshotman60 says:

Neither Flickr or any other site can be recommended to use as backup for your precious files.
What happens if they go bust, what happens if their servers get damaged, what happens if any of a thousand problems may arise to your or their equipment/passwords etc.etc.etc???

What you need to do is buy two or three 2T or more external hard drives and put your photos and any other precious documents on each one of them. If one goes down, you have two left, buy a replacement and copy everything to that so you have three again.

Cloud storage is another way, but again, you must have two or three of your own just in case.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Snapshotman60:

What you need to do is buy two or three 2T or more external hard drives and put your photos and any other precious documents on each one of them. If one goes down, you have two left, buy a replacement and copy everything to that so you have three again.

And store them in different locations, as different as is possible/practical.

view photos

Viejito says:

Яick Harris:

flickr is not a backup solution.
Not anymore.
Marissa tried to make it so, with a free terabyte for everyone.
But she did not last: the promise was rescinded...

view photos

N808PV says:

For me it is a given that my "most valuable" images were shot in RAW format, which is not supported by Flickr. For 8 years I have been shooting videos in 4k/UHD format, which is also not supported by Flickr........

Nevertheless, I think Flickr can be useful as a "backup" solution if the individual personal user profile fits very well with the "Flickr upload requirements".

view photos

N808PV says:

mag3737:

And store them in different locations, as different as is possible/practical.

Or look for other solutions to limit damage by choosing a suitable “fireproof media data safe” that protects against fire, heat and water.

view photos

mcnod says:

Bill Kret:

I have been waiting over half a year for a solution for the issue.

Your initial report was Feb 6, 2024 - five months ago ...

Having clarified the time-line, I do feel for your dilemma. It is incredulous that they cannot fix your problem and that they suggest to others with a similar problem in that HF thread to contact support, they "recommend contacting Flickr Staff directly to see if we can get it fixed for you today".

Meanwhile, they have given away 1% of your subscription fee (in their own name) to further public awareness of their own "awesomeness".

view photos

NJ Glamour says:

Snapshotman60:

In addition to external hard drives you can buy a thumb drive. (Something a photographer friend suggested.) Yup, sounds dumb But I find it a more practical to plug in my thumb drive (which is next to my computer) fora quick back up instead of pulling out the external drives. Externals get backed up once a week for me.

If you are using an automated software program for back-up, particularly a free one included with the drive, you might want to check on whether the software is actually doing the job you think it is.

I regularly backed up my hard drive system and data to an external hard drive, a lengthy process several times a week. When my computer crashed, I found my pictures were not there.

view photos

Snapshotman60 says:

NJ Glamour:

"Instead of pulling out the external drives" ...... Why would you want to do that?

My external drives are stacked and all connected to a switched hub. All I do is switch each one on when I want to access/back up to it then switch it off when I am finished. In that way there is no way that they can be accessed via my computer by a virus etc. and they are turned off most of the time which prolongs life.

Yes, I can have one in my fireproof safe which I can back up to whenever I feel the need but because they are turned off, I feel there is little need for that.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Viejito:

Not anymore.
Marissa tried to make it so, with a free terabyte for everyone.
But she did not last: the promise was rescinded...

Marissa? Do you mean Yahoo!?

view photos

Flickr Staff

carolea8 says:

Bill Kret:

I can understand why this issue would cause some frustration. I see that you're already in contact with one of our managers. They will continue the conversation with you there.

I'm closing this thread, as the question isn't about using Flickr.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink )
carolea8 (staff) edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads