Why some of our devices reseted automatically?

mhfaruk
Level 1.6: Donut

I am wondering some of customer facing devices reset automatically? Is there any reason behind this? From our customer, we got the following information about this issue.

1. Case one is that the device got shut down due to the charge being finished. after starting the device they found that the device was reseted.
  2. Case two is that the device was shut down for one or two months. after starting the device they found that the device was reseted. 

Thank you so much for your attention and participation in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Alex_Muc
Level 2.2: Froyo

I am not aware of any cases where devices have been reset to factory settings for no reason.
I assume that the devices are managed with an MDM. The logs there should show whether the device was reset and for what reason. If the reason for the wipe is not visible there, the cause might be local to the device.

I can think of three possibilities off the top of my head:

1. the wipe was caused by a compliance policy in MDM
  2. the device is configured in a portal for automatic enrollment (ZeroTouch / KME) and has never been switched on. The Setup Wizard was completed offline and then requests a wipe on the first internet connection
  3. the wipe was triggered by an admin or user by mistake.

I don't want to rule out the possibility that it could also be a critical software problem with a device model / OEM. However, we have not observed such behavior with the OEM devices that we use in recent years.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Alex_Muc
Level 2.2: Froyo

I am not aware of any cases where devices have been reset to factory settings for no reason.
I assume that the devices are managed with an MDM. The logs there should show whether the device was reset and for what reason. If the reason for the wipe is not visible there, the cause might be local to the device.

I can think of three possibilities off the top of my head:

1. the wipe was caused by a compliance policy in MDM
  2. the device is configured in a portal for automatic enrollment (ZeroTouch / KME) and has never been switched on. The Setup Wizard was completed offline and then requests a wipe on the first internet connection
  3. the wipe was triggered by an admin or user by mistake.

I don't want to rule out the possibility that it could also be a critical software problem with a device model / OEM. However, we have not observed such behavior with the OEM devices that we use in recent years.

Moombas
Level 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich

I fully agree to this and without further investigation on the devices themselves or the used MDM/EMM i don't see any pssibility to clarify this from our end.

mhfaruk

Thanks for your concern.

mhfaruk

I appreciate your quick response. I will investigate further what was the actual reason behind this and if find anything I must share it here.