• After updating Polylang 3.5.1, all pages in the second language of multisite have 404 errors.

1. it’s a multisite, it only happens on the main site.
    2. in Polylang settings, “The language is set from the directory name in pretty permalinks”. ex: domain.com/en/my-post
    3. save the Polylang settings.
    4. permalinks settings is post name and save again.

I noticed that if I set “The language is set from content” in the Polylang settings, I get a page in the second language. But I want to set it to domain.com/en/my-post as I originally set it.

Please help me.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I’ve reverted to Version 3.4.4. and my website works again. This has been a real problem for several days. Hopefully Polyland will fix all the issues soon.

Plugin Support Chrystl

(@chrystl)

Hello @dobihobbho,

Just to let you know that we have just reproduced the issue on our end (thanks again to @patiowebdesign). We will fix it in the next version of Polylang. While waiting for it, you can revert to version 3.4.5 as suggested by @patiowebdesign.

This is not just an issue with multisite. I just setup a new single site WordPress site and installed Polylang and got 404 on any second language page or post. I downgraded to 3.4.5 and saved my permalink settings to get it working.

Updated to 3.5 end same problem here (multisite installation). Al translated pages generate a 404. If I go to settings of url moodifications, change nothing but just press save again, everything works again. If I then go to settings > permalinks and save the permalinks, the issue occurs again resulting in a 404 for all translated pages. Got the plugin running on the site for 4 years, never had this problem. Also occurs when using a default twentytwentythree theme.

Is this known and is there a fix comming?

PS. The site is very basic, no custom post types or anything.

I have tried the fixes suggested by @ascentsy and @patiowebdesign but neither of them have worked for me. I can only get access to the translated page if I change permalink structure to “Plain” which is not an option for my site.

Thread Starter dobiho

(@dobihobbho)

I have fixed my problems with Polylang 3.4.5. Thanks to @patiowebdesign and @chrystl

I have downloaded Polylang 3.4.5 on https://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/polylang.3.4.5.zip

I’m experiencing this 404 issue with Polylang Pro 3.5.1, multisite and custom post types.

How to reproduce the issue:

• visit custom post type’s page (works)
    • visit permalinks page
    • visit again custom post type’s page (404)

How to fix (temporarily)

Run this WP cli command wrapped in bash script loop (for each subsite).

for site_url in $(wp site list --field=url --allow-root); do wp eval 'flush_rewrite_rules(false);' --url=$site_url --allow-root; done

I’ve downgraded to Polylang Pro 3.4.6, where this issue doesn’t happen and waiting for a patch fix.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘404 Errors for second language in multisite with language name directory’ is closed to new replies.