• Hello! I am having issues with translations on my website. I have been going around this for 3 days now and I have had a couple of developers take a look for we couldn’t solve all the problems.

Site language: English / second language: Spanish
    And below I am putting all the info you require for tickets, for further reference 🙂

Setup: WordPress multisite (but the translations are only on the main subsite)
    Page builder: Brizy Pro

Other plugins: Pretty Links, Wordfence, Autoptimize, Manage WP, Rank Math, WP Code Light, WPvivid Backup

I have another website that uses a very similar range of plugins as I always use the same core tools, and on the other site I never had problems but on this one, I’ve had plenty so I am not sure what I did wrong.

So initially, only the homepage was showing correctly and also got translated. The rest of the pages were showing empty in the default theme (Blocksy) style. But since I built the pages with Brizy Pro, they were empty. And whenever I clicked the Spanish flag, it would throw a 404.
    Then, when I deleted the Facebook chat plugin, I got my pages back (instead of the blank Blocksy theme). But the Spanish versions were still 404. Now not even the homepage is correctly link. When I am on the homepage and hoover over the Spanish flag, I see the correct link but when I click it, it changes the link and gives a 404. However, that “new” link is a page that actually exists in the Spanish version of the website, although it’s not my home page…

So if you go to the main link https://thewebsitesociety.com/ and try to hoover over the flag, you’ll see the link on the bottom and when you click, it takes you to a different link.

And if you go for example to the contact page (in English) and click the flag, you’ll go to the Spanish URL (which is correct as per my pages), but it also shows a 404 instead of the actual page that I designed.

So, in summary, the issues I am currently seeing:
    1. It seems like all the Spanish versions are 404s (although the links are correct as per my backend/the page slugs I created)

2. The homepage specifically is connected to the Spanish homepage on the backend, but when you click to go to the Spanish version, the link changes to my about page (studio/estudio) which:

– exists but is not connected to the home
    – also gives a 404 error, although it actually exists

Also to note, that I have no redirects set up for this website at all yet.

3. The flag randomly disapears on different pages of the website or on the spanish version, as if I hadn’t put it in the menu. But I have a global menu setup and all pages as translated, so it should always be there… Do you know what the issue could be?

—————————

– Your permalinks settings:
    Post name
    https://thewebsitesociety.com/sample-post/

– If you are using a static front page
    YES

– Your Polylang settings
    The language is set from the directory name in pretty permalinks
    Hide URL language information for default language
    Remove /language/ in pretty permalinks
    The front page URL contains the language code instead of the page name or page id

Synchronization: Taxonomies, Published date, Featured image, Sticky posts, Page Order

Appearance – Menus: Displays language names + Displays flags + Hides the current language

– A link to your site
    https://thewebsitesociety.com/

– What you have already tried to solve your issue
    Deactivated all plugins to check for issues.
    Removed Facebook Chat Plugin as that seemed to be causing the 404 errors
    Refreshed the permalink settings.
    Spoke with a developer from the Brizy support team who enterer the site as a super-admin and attempted to resolve the issue as well.

– If you detected a conflict with a theme or another plugin, a link where to download this theme or plugin (please don’t force people who want to help you to make a search)
    This was the plugin I deleted: https://wordpress.org/plugins/facebook-messenger-customer-chat/

—————————

I apologize for the long ticket. I hope someone can help me figure this out… and that I have provided enough information.

Thank you so much for your time in advance, Sofia

The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Plugin Author Chouby

(@chouby)

Hello,

Please update to v3.5.1. This should fix the 404 errors on multisite reported a few days ago: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/polylang-problems-with-wordpress-multisite/

Thread Starter Sofia Pereira

(@patiowebdesign)

Hi Chouby! Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, I saw that ticket before posting. But I updated the plugin as soon as it came out. So as we speak, I am already on:

Polylang
    Settings | Deactivate
    Adds multilingual capability to WordPress

Version 3.5.1 | By WP SYNTEX | View details

(@patiowebdesign)

Hi Chouby,

Just to add to the below, as the issues haven’t been resolved with the update:
    – I do have the latest update on Polylang
    – I have resaved my permalink settings

I’ll also answer below the questions you asked this other user on that ticket, in case it helps:

Is the issue on all sites or only one? I only have one site with translations at the moment so that’s the only one (the main site)
    Is Polylang network activated or activated per site? Per site
    Is it activated on all sites or only some of them? Only one (the main)
    Are you using a domain mapping plugin? Which one? No
    Did you check if the issue could come from a new conflict with another plugin (or theme) that we may have introduced? Yes and a developer is also checking on a stating environment but we have already tested and removed one plugin that was causing a bigger issue.

Thank you so much for looking into this or any help you can give me.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Sofia Pereira.

(@patiowebdesign)

I’ve reverted to Version 3.4.4. and my website works again. This has been a real problem for several days. Hopefully Polyland will fix all the issues soon.

Plugin Support Chrystl

(@chrystl)

Hello @patiowebdesign

I wanted to say a big thanks for flagging this issue and for your excellent debugging work. Your efforts have been helpful in getting to the bottom of this.
    I’ve confirmed that I was able to replicate the issue on my end as well. We’ll fix it in a next version of Polylang.
    Thanks again for your collaboration and for being so thorough.

(@patiowebdesign)

No problem Chrystl, I hope this helps, and I’ll look forward to the next version 🙂 I’ll stay on 3,4,4 for now eheh

(@patiowebdesign)

Hi Chrystl,

I just noticed there’s a new update of the plugin! Well done.
    Can we safely update to the latest version even for sites that were having the 404 errors last week?

Thank you, Sofia

Update to 4.5.4 failed. WordPress 6.4.3.

It worked after deactivating the plugin and enable it again.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.