• Resolved LanaAnn

(@lanaann)

I have scheduled six posts that are rewrites of old posts to be published over the next two weeks. 

I noticed in the post editing screen that two of those posts show the post slug with a “-2” appended.  The others do not – they just have the original slug as it currently exists on the live post. If those with the -2 added publish that way, it will effectively create a new never-published post, correct? What can be done to prevent that from occurring?

Or will Yoast remove the -2 at the time the post goes live?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Plugin Author Enrico Battocchi

(@lopo)

Hello @lanaann,
    our apologies for the delay in our response!

When the post is republished, the slug for the copy is thrown away and the original slug is kept, so no problem should arise with new undesired posts.

I hope this answers your question!

I rewrote and republished a post, ”let’s call it “sitename/terms”. Then my client wanted me to revert to the original version but keep and rename the new, republished version. So I made a new draft (not another rewrite/republish) of the republished post, and tried to rename “sitename/terms/2025” as he wanted, but there is -2 appended -“sitename/terms/2025-2”. I can’t change it, it keeps reverting. No other posts have the same slug.

Further to my above post, “sitename/terms/2025” is redirecting to “sitename/terms” – that’s causing the issue. I think the redirect must have happened during the rewrite/republish?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.