Battle Fantasia -Revised Edition-

Battle Fantasia -Revised Edition-

View Stats:
BOBdotEXE Oct 1, 2022 @ 10:36am
[Testing Fix] This game seems to run MUCH better on Vulkan! [Fix for high framerate displays!]
I've been messing around with this game a little bit, and I found that it runs WAY to fast for me,

The official fix seems to be to simply 'enable Vsync', But aside for the other (positive/negative) features of vysnc has, this will not help people with high refresh displays (anything set to over 60fps.)

I'm using a 1080p 144hz gsync compatible (freesync monitor), that adjust down to around 45hz or so.

A simple fix would be to just cap your framerate via your GPU software,
And this Worked for me, normal game speed
16.6ms frametime, with a little bit of tearing, with very fast motion ([v-sync disabled, Gsync enabled)

or via 3rd party tools like Special-K mod.
(K mod cause issues with my controller..))

But I tried this Direct-X to Vulkin Wrapper instead (all other tools/frame limits disabled)
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

And the game just seemed to magically cap it self at around 60fps?
(Same monitor, same settings, nvidia profile deleted,Special K mod injector not running, etc)

The Frametimes were a bit more variable hopping above 17ms at times, but the screen tearing seemed FAR less noticeable. (maybe gsync is being properly used?)

---

I've also tested this on an older laptop with an dedicated amd gpu (~2015), And this saw a noticeable improvement in framerates!

1080p max settings (vsync on) the same characters/map, the game went from an average of 45-50fps up to a near locked 60!

Now this is not to say that every old GPU will see a high bump, but older (vulkin compatible) GPU's that should have been able to run it anyway seem to handle the vulkin wrapped version better!

---

Anyway, I have not done any extensive testing, but if you're having trouble running this game due to your hardware being too strong. :steammocking: You could try DXVK!

I just Copied all the 32bit dll's to the game folder, but you could just try the 32bit d3d9.dll

Just try to make sure you have at least the required version of vulkin, (Generally, updating your GPU drivers will also update vulkin, so you should be fine)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2869995211

[Speculation]
I know very little about API's, so I don't know why this fix works, But if I were to guess, it's because the original port of this game may have made inefficient use of the API, basically it may have wasted a lot of resources, or used various features incorrectly.
So when we introduce a tool like DXVK, a tool not just made to run old games in a new API, but specially made for handing them in a super efficient manner to help with performance on linux. (as running games on linux via wine may cause them to run slower due to the extra overhead) You'll have a tool that changes how the game runs (to a degree) and also since it's mainly made for running old games, it likely has a collection of fixes to issues/inefficiencies that a lot of old games have.

So when the game's run through this API wrapper, any fixes could be automatically applied, and the optimized and translated API calls could be passed to vulkin.
Basically improving the game on-the-fly!

[Game runs]->Tried to Pass GPU code to DirectX -> [DXVK intercepts and optimizes GPU code] ->[Vulkin Renders the Final Product!]

I would not expect this to be the 'magic bullet' to fix all your old PC games, but it's clear that it can help improve performance on some problematic games like this!
[/speculation]

If this proves to be stable! It would be nice if they could include a similar fix in an official update!

---
Update: 10/26/22:
I've run a dozen or so matches, I noticed a few very minor graphical glitches with the 1.10.3 build.
Most noticeably with a few of Watson's animations, it may be fixed in a later build, but I still find this setup to be very playable, even for local multiplayer (no stuttering/framedrops)
Last edited by BOBdotEXE; Oct 25, 2022 @ 11:36pm
< >
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
𓅃 スノ 𓅃 Oct 21, 2022 @ 7:46am 
good to know
< >
Showing 1-1 of 1 comments
Per page: 1530 50