STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R

View Stats:
Randomly determined talents at the start of the game
What a dumb system. It'd be one thing if you could save scum Celine getting love of animals just before you recruit her but now you have to restart the game over and over and over until you land the 50% nimble fingers on Claude and 10% love of animals on Celine.
It's making me just want to outright cheat. Because if she doesn't start with it, she can't learn it ever I hear.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Kush Jul 1 @ 3:04am 
Celine can never learn "Love of animals" in the first place.
Each character has "one certain talent that they cannot learn ever".
Also, in SO2R, all other companion's talents are already fixed/predetermined, so there's no point in rerolling for talents on companions.

The one and only Character that really needs a reroll to get the "Originality" and "Nimble fingers" is Claude.
But even if Claude didn't have "Originality" or "Nimble fingers" at the beginning, SO2R already made it easy (compared to its two predecessors) for characters to learn new talents by only spending a few SPs on the IC/special skill that's related to that certain talent you want to learn.

Your post already shows that your opinion is irrelevant and clearly you don'r know what you're talking about :steamthumbsdown:
Last edited by Kush; Jul 1 @ 3:18am
Originally posted by Kush:
Celine can never learn "Love of animals" in the first place.
Each character has "one certain talent that they cannot learn ever".
Also, in SO2R, all other companion's talents are already fixed/predetermined, so there's no point in rerolling for talents on companions.

The one and only Character that really needs a reroll to get the "Originality" and "Nimble fingers" is Claude.
But even if Claude didn't have "Originality" or "Nimble fingers" at the beginning, SO2R already made it easy (compared to its two predecessors) for characters to learn new talents by only spending a few SPs on the IC/special skill that's related to that certain talent you want to learn.

Your post already shows that your opinion is irrelevant and clearly you don'r know what you're talking about :steamthumbsdown:

I've seen screenshots of Celine with 10 talents rather than 9, with one of them being love of animals. She simply cannot learn it if she doesn't start with it because it's not even greyed out she just doesn't have it available. But she has a 10% chance to start with it.

and no, companions roll random talents just like Claude does, it's just those talents are rolled at the start of the game, not when you recruit them this time. That's the change and that's what makes it so obnoxious. In previous versions you could do a save just before recruiting them and just reload that save, This remake it's decided at the start of the game, so if Celine doesn't start with Love of Animals (10 talents available) then she can never learn it and your file, no matter how many new game plus you do, can never get 10 talents on Celine. She's just stuck.
Kush Jul 1 @ 9:48am 
Originally posted by Unhappy Camper:
and no, companions roll random talents just like Claude does, it's just those talents are rolled at the start of the game, not when you recruit them this time. That's the change and that's what makes it so obnoxious. In previous versions you could do a save just before recruiting them and just reload that save, This remake it's decided at the start of the game, so if Celine doesn't start with Love of Animals (10 talents available) then she can never learn it and your file, no matter how many new game plus you do, can never get 10 talents on Celine. She's just stuck.

Then I stand corrected about "companions unable to reroll talents".
I thought you meant just restarting the game (save) right before you invite them into the party (even as guest member).
So yes, you're right. Companion talents can be rerolled if you start the game from scratch.
It's just too hassle to be worth it.

and your file, no matter how many new game plus you do, can never get 10 talents on Celine. She's just stuck.

That's right. it's not possible due to character's talents are inherited over to NG+.
and that's the part that bothers me that the talents are decided at the start of the game, cannot be learned if they don't start with it and no matter how many NG+ you do.. you can't get it. So it's new game only.
"play as the dice land" is fine if you can learn everything eventually later on. "play as the dice land and it's permanent" is stupid and just means.. people have to start over if they want to eventually have a 100% file. and I've seen youtube videos of people trying 30+ times to roll Celine with love of animals.
and that's the part that bothers me that the talents are decided at the start of the game, cannot be learned if they don't start with it and no matter how many NG+ you do.. you can't get it. So it's new game only.
"play as the dice land" is fine if you can learn everything eventually later on. "play as the dice land and it's permanent" is stupid and just means.. people have to start over if they want to eventually have a 100% file. and I've seen youtube videos of people trying 30+ times to roll Celine with love of animals.

If it bothers you so much there's probably a cheat table for the game that'll let you edit that in on Celine. Celine missing love of animals changes nothing worth mentioning.
Originally posted by AH-1 Cobra:

If it bothers you so much there's probably a cheat table for the game that'll let you edit that in on Celine. Celine missing love of animals changes nothing worth mentioning.

and I really don't want to cheat but this stupid system makes it almost like that's what you have to do if you want a complete save someday.

Developers are sadists.
Originally posted by AH-1 Cobra:

and I really don't want to cheat but this stupid system makes it almost like that's what you have to do if you want a complete save someday.

Developers are sadists.

Making such an edit is within the realm of what I'd consider to be a mod. Adding this to Celine doesn't impact the game's difficulty, or lack of in any way, at best it's a check box that doesn't matter, so by all means do it if it suits you.
Ranzera Jul 2 @ 10:33pm 
Oh man, I have to restart the entire game to roll Love of Animals on Celine? What an awful decision by these devs lmao. Whelp, time to misery grind I guess..

ETA: Got it on the 4th try total (including my first before I realized this). Best time was 14:27 skipping and fast traveling like a maniac.
Last edited by Ranzera; Jul 2 @ 11:31pm
Originally posted by Ranzera:
Oh man, I have to restart the entire game to roll Love of Animals on Celine? What an awful decision by these devs lmao. Whelp, time to misery grind I guess..

ETA: Got it on the 4th try total (including my first before I realized this). Best time was 14:27 skipping and fast traveling like a maniac.

I gave up after I lost count of tries over 3 days. I'm just going to have to save state hack it in maybe.

Hopefully a dev has something random catastrophe happen to them for a little irony in coding in this stupid random crap on players.
Since characters can learn talents during the game, what they start with is less important. If a character can't learn a talent, it isn't the end of the world. I mean, you have to play the game at least twice to get the whole game, and I had to play it 3 times to get the perfect set of armor for all my characters to defeat the ultimates with little effort.
Last edited by Etragorn; Jul 5 @ 2:51pm
Originally posted by Etragorn:
Since characters can learn talents during the game, what they start with is less important. If a character can't learn a talent, it isn't the end of the world. I mean, you have to play the game at least twice to get the whole game, and I had to play it 3 times to get the perfect set of armor for all my characters to defeat the ultimates with little effort.

Don't bother replying if you cannot read first.

Celine cannot learn Love of Animals unless she starts with it determined at the beginning of the game.
Period.
End of story.

No matter how many New Game + you do you cannot get her to learn it.
That is determined at the beginning of a fresh new game.

So your options are run the beginning up to Krosse over and over until she spawns with it.. or save state hack. That's it.
It's a bad design choice. Don't bother defending it, the devs aren't paying you.
Seraphita Jul 10 @ 2:09pm 
Okay... So... Why does Celine need Love of Animals? Pretty sure it was like this in the past versions as well. Doesn't Rena get Love of Animals? You don't need it on everyone.

P.S.: Claude can learn like every skills with some efforts, too. Another thread showed that there is little to no reason to try and get talents at the start of the game. Learn them.
Last edited by Seraphita; Jul 10 @ 2:24pm
They should have given claude a 0.1% chance to start with blessing of mana so seething malcontents could rage even harder. :steammocking:
Ranzera Jul 14 @ 5:09am 
Originally posted by Seraphita:
Okay... So... Why does Celine need Love of Animals? Pretty sure it was like this in the past versions as well. Doesn't Rena get Love of Animals? You don't need it on everyone.

P.S.: Claude can learn like every skills with some efforts, too. Another thread showed that there is little to no reason to try and get talents at the start of the game. Learn them.

The Claude thing is probably a strategic hold over from the original in many people's minds. It was a lot more annoying to get Dexterity (Nimble Fingers here) in the original.

As for why does Celine need Love of Animals? For completion.
I mean that's a thematic restriction, she fights monsters in dungeons for a living, she's not likely to really develop empathy for them.

I do get how it could be annoying from the perspective of a completionist, but I don't think it's worth breaking just for that. That being said, it's definitely weird that she can randomly have it but not learn it. I would have preferred her not being able to acquire it, ever.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 1530 50