STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R

View Stats:
2nd Installment?
"The highly acclaimed second instalment in the STAR OCEAN series, returns as STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R."

So...which is the first? Because this definitely is not the 2nd Star Ocean.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
IEatCats Jun 30 @ 1:09am 
The first game is for the SNES, the remake titled First Departure R is currently not available for PC

Ronyx J. Kenny is in the first game as a playable character, in this game he's the father of Claude
Awww man. The 1st game isn't on PC? That's a damn bummer.

Going to pass on this one unless that 1st one makes it here.
For what it's worth, the second game has little connection to the first, despite its protagonist being the father of the main male protagonist. You can easily play this one standalone and understand everything plot wise.
Buster Jun 30 @ 5:26am 
youi'll be confused tho why 16:9 monitors are everywhere in this game from 1998 if you play this remake.
Awww man. The 1st game isn't on PC? That's a damn bummer.

Going to pass on this one unless that 1st one makes it here.
You are REALLY REALLY missing out BIG time then. None of the games are connected in a way that matters. The only thing that connected to the first game is that Claudes father is one of the characters in the first one and you only interact with him for a few minutes in total and not at all if you play as Rena.
Ranzera Jul 3 @ 5:14pm 
I really liked the first game. I played it first as a translated Super Famicon rom hack a long time ago. The story is pretty short, but all the elements are there. Plus having a character with boomerang swords (seen only as enemies in SO2) was awesome.

I'm not sure if a remake would really capture that game. When they remade it last time they remade the world navigation to be like they had in SO2. The original didn't really have a world map at all, just a lot of interconnected areas. There was a lot of charm to the original that I'm not sure would be faithfully brought forward.

ETA: Both of Claude's parents are in the original. We only meet his dad in SO2 though.
Last edited by Ranzera; Jul 3 @ 5:15pm
You can get the first one of Switch and PS4/PS5, so you can play it if you have one of those (or have a decent enough gaming system to "emulate" the switch)
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50