STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R

View Stats:
breaking the game
can you have fun in this game without breaking the game?
all i hear about this game is breaking the game this breaking the game that
abusing the item creation system this duplicating that
is that stuff the only things that make this game enjoyable? can it be fun without breaking it ikinda just wanted a classic jrpg
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
true. I don't get the posts at all.. Theres plenty to explore and with so many endings lots of replay value.
MegaMan Jun 5 @ 4:46pm 
Originally posted by UnholyBlood:
true. I don't get the posts at all.. Theres plenty to explore and with so many endings lots of replay value.

Except you can farm the endings with affection modifying items created via publishing.

In regards to OP - yes, you can still enjoy the game without exploiting it to hell and back.
Farm endings? Is that something people do? That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve heard yet. Yeah I’d actually just play it.
MegaMan Jun 6 @ 1:14pm 
Farm endings? Is that something people do? That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve heard yet. Yeah I’d actually just play it.

Before you knock it - realize that there are 99 total character endings that serve as a sort of epilogue for each party member. They're not very long either, and the main story doesn't have a different ending - just little snippets of each party member's life afterward. So being able to modify party member affections to efficiently see them is incredibly helpful.

But your first time through? Yeah, just play how you want.
I’ve been playing it since the 90s. Farming endings may be thing for some but I just want to enjoy a game for what it is. I understand people want to max out the achievements but for me the character interactions are part of what makes the game special. Im more than happy to learn about tricks and fast tracks got weapons and special items due to their being so many but the x10 item creation already makes it too easy ? Plus I’m used to the original where all the percentages for success were missing. Actually preferred it like that. Although having completion percentage is nice
MegaMan Jun 7 @ 12:18am 
I’ve been playing it since the 90s. Farming endings may be thing for some but I just want to enjoy a game for what it is. I understand people want to max out the achievements but for me the character interactions are part of what makes the game special. Im more than happy to learn about tricks and fast tracks got weapons and special items due to their being so many but the x10 item creation already makes it too easy ? Plus I’m used to the original where all the percentages for success were missing. Actually preferred it like that. Although having completion percentage is nice

Then you can completely ignore manipulating affections and item creation and just go without it.
I've never been much of a meta-gamer. Unless it's a game literally designed for us to break it (Disgaea or the like,) I just play games in as naturalistic a way as I can for the most part. I've always played this as just a simple, cozy, fantasy sci-fi story with characters I like and enjoyable combat.

Which isn't to say I can't also enjoy NG+ and crafting and experimenting. And in some games I even find farming to be a big part of the appeal (again, Disgaea, or action games like EDF where farming for loot and grinding is just kind of a part of it by design.)

But that's not the primary way I choose to play games, especially not the first time around. And imo this game can definitely be enjoyed just on its own merits without any meta-gaming.
pm Jun 29 @ 7:04am 
Originally posted by Aikido:
I've never been much of a meta-gamer. Unless it's a game literally designed for us to break it (Disgaea or the like,) I just play games in as naturalistic a way as I can for the most part. I've always played this as just a simple, cozy, fantasy sci-fi story with characters I like and enjoyable combat.

Which isn't to say I can't also enjoy NG+ and crafting and experimenting. And in some games I even find farming to be a big part of the appeal (again, Disgaea, or action games like EDF where farming for loot and grinding is just kind of a part of it by design.)

But that's not the primary way I choose to play games, especially not the first time around. And imo this game can definitely be enjoyed just on its own merits without any meta-gaming.
i ended up breaking the game by midgame and i cant imagine how iw ould have got the final bosses without all that op stuff even with that the final boss just kept spamming stuff i wouldnt have won otherwise
Xetelian Jun 30 @ 11:37am 
I played this game when it came out in USA (shut up, I'm old)

I played through it without being able to reliably google a walkthrough like now, but even then my tiny ass and my little brothers played the hell out of it, and beat it and it was great then we fought in the arena till we beat that hardest bosses

So, yeah, I didn't know about different endings, different characters, which skills were great or not for passive abilities

So, when I played it again later, I did optimize but that was 6 years after that and it was still very fun at that point

My understanding is this is how you should play these games
DinoSp Jul 10 @ 12:56pm 
Haven't played this version, but the fun comes in the endgame.

The Arena at the end was difficult.
And the secret dungeon was very difficult.
Even at very high levels.
Pheonid Jul 13 @ 1:55pm 
im sure its possible, but for some of us, its pretty obvious and hard to just ignore, its like having a shiny red button sitting right next to your keyboard begging to be pressed
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50