STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R

View Stats:
When will Denuvo be removed? *Denuvo now removed
~~I still have my PS1 copy of this game and would like to play this but I don't install products with Denuvo. Is there an ETA on removing it?~~

Denuvo has now been removed from this game.
Last edited by Mygaffer; May 2 @ 8:04pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 189 comments
sudebu Mar 5 @ 3:33am 
i think it's typically six-ish months after release.
Yeah, the game is still relatively new, give it a few more months.
All right, I guess I'll check back in the summer. Thanks for the replies.
im new to this pc gaming with what is this Denuvo thing ?
Etragorn Mar 7 @ 1:24pm 
Originally posted by lordstuffing:
Pure evil in its most concentrated form. It scars the mind and tarnishes the soul. It causes warriors to weep and lament their damnable fate. It brings kings and kingdoms to their knees. Its touch burns and corrupts all. A greater fiend man has never known.
Last edited by Etragorn; Mar 7 @ 1:31pm
Originally posted by Etragorn:
Pure evil in its most concentrated form. It scars the mind and tarnishes the soul. It causes warriors to weep and lament their damnable fate. It brings kings and kingdoms to their knees. Its touch burns and corrupts all. A greater fiend man has never known.

are we talking about i restriction on the game or something ? XD
Macona Mar 8 @ 7:41am 

It's anti-piracy software that can cause some performance problems on your pc. The company is a little shady too.

Most people don't actually know the specifics, and are just angry because everyone else tells them to be.
Originally posted by Macona:

It's anti-piracy software that can cause some performance problems on your pc. The company is a little shady too.

Most people don't actually know the specifics, and are just angry because everyone else tells them to be.

Or maybe they're angry because they feel they shouldn't have to pay a malware performance tax to play the game they paid for? IDK, something like that.

I'll buy it if/when Denuvo is removed.
Originally posted by MasterManiac:
Originally posted by Macona:

Or maybe they're angry because they feel they shouldn't have to pay a malware performance tax to play the game they paid for? IDK, something like that.

I'll buy it if/when Denuvo is removed.

wait so what this game has malware ?
Denuvo is a performance-draining phone-home "DRM" that constantly runs server checks on your game in real-time, and WILL result in an unplayable game if it isn't removed before the servers assigned to the game's verification inevitably shut down.
Denuvo is a performance-draining phone-home "DRM" that constantly runs server checks on your game in real-time, and WILL result in an unplayable game if it isn't removed before the servers assigned to the game's verification inevitably shut down.

so im not gonna be able to play the game if this is not removed before the servers shutdown ?

It's "DRM," i.e. digital rights management and it obsfucates the game's code to make it harder to pirate. It also is essentially a rootkit in that it is a piece of software that has root access and that I don't control, i.e. something I will never install on my own devices.

It also hurts the performance of the titles it appears in, which has been confirmed multiple times with multiple titles.
Originally posted by Mygaffer:

It's "DRM," i.e. digital rights management and it obsfucates the game's code to make it harder to pirate. It also is essentially a rootkit in that it is a piece of software that has root access and that I don't control, i.e. something I will never install on my own devices.

It also hurts the performance of the titles it appears in, which has been confirmed multiple times with multiple titles.

how can steam let this game on its servers i mean if its a rootkit its not good right ? soud this game not be deleted from the store ?

so im not gonna be able to play the game if this is not removed before the servers shutdown ?
Yes, that's exactly it. Companies buy the line that Denuvo "protects" early sales, and so typically leave their games laden with it for a year or so before removing it. I doubt the choice to remove it comes from any sort of altruism - more likely, it's to save on fees or something. Either way, the instant your game's ability to reach an authentication server lapses, then that's it - game over. Your purchase is completely wasted.

I think it's somewhat pathetic Steam even allows 3rd party launchers and DRM on its platform, especially considering how utterly unnecessary it is, but oh well. I just vote with my wallet and move on.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 189 comments
Per page: 1530 50