When am I supposed to be having "fun"
first match made my blood boil and isn't fun. When does the game get, "fun"
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Septon Jul 9 @ 11:39am 
We don't care.
Originally posted by Septon:
We don't care.
You cared enough to respond. The discord for this game cared enough to give me an answer and feedback on my gameplay (because I suck at judging my own gameplay).

The fighting game Reddit cared enough to give me an answer, the common answer being, "until you learn the fundamentals"
Septon Jul 10 @ 5:31am 
Happy to hear you got your answer ("a game is fun when you know how to play it", no sh*t), it's just that coming here crying after just one match is pretty childish and pathetic.
Even as a lifelong (yet far from competitive) enjoyer of fighting games there are some days that they just don't feel fun. The natural goal is to want to win and I think that actually serves as a huge reason people can struggle to enjoy these games at times.

My advice is twofold. 1. Go into a gameplay session with a goal in mind. It could be landing a new combo route for the first time in a match, or just more consistent use of a mechanic. But make it within the realm of something you can both reasonable achieve and isn't tied to winning. 2. Recognize the days when you just don't have the mental energy for fighting games. If you feel that rage in the first 2 matches maybe it's a good day for a more chill way to use your leisure time.
Happy to hear you got your answer ("a game is fun when you know how to play it", no sh*t), it's just that coming here crying after just one match is pretty childish and pathetic.
That's cute you think it was after one match. And no this isn't the crying part. Though considering a tiny bit of salt scared Japanese players, I can't imagine what they'll do if they encounter true salt.

Also no, learning the game didn't make it fun. The community was fun, learning off of them was fun and getting my hand held through the process was fun. Talking to the community was fun.

But even with understanding this game, it's still not fun.
Originally posted by Apokalyptic:
Even as a lifelong (yet far from competitive) enjoyer of fighting games there are some days that they just don't feel fun. The natural goal is to want to win and I think that actually serves as a huge reason people can struggle to enjoy these games at times.

My advice is twofold. 1. Go into a gameplay session with a goal in mind. It could be landing a new combo route for the first time in a match, or just more consistent use of a mechanic. But make it within the realm of something you can both reasonable achieve and isn't tied to winning. 2. Recognize the days when you just don't have the mental energy for fighting games. If you feel that rage in the first 2 matches maybe it's a good day for a more chill way to use your leisure time.
The goal in mind doesn't work; I've tried that. When one part of the plan fails, other parts of the plan fall a part. I know how to put the parts together, adapting and actually dealing with players is another thing.

Labbing is the easy part, putting the song together and getting it to work properly is another thing. I'm good at training mode but fall flat at the actual play against an opponent part. Especially if it's a new fighter with an OP toolkit I don't understand.
Septon Jul 10 @ 8:32am 
Victory means nothing - the fight is everything.
Cool stage, cool music, cool characters: I'm already having fun.

Hard truth: fighting games are made for zen & relaxed people.
Victory means nothing - the fight is everything.
Cool stage, cool music, cool characters: I'm already having fun.

Hard truth: fighting games are made for zen & relaxed people.
No one told me this. Though that would explain why I like Armor Core 6 and it's PVP. Chaotic, insane and all over the place.

From what I was told that there is a, "fighting game for everyone out there" which by the looks of it that's not even a true statement. The only reason why I even stick with a game isn't even the game but only if I like the community which I don't want that being the reason I enjoy a game.

If anything that's why I like speedrunning, I'm quite the opposite of zen and relaxed.
Originally posted by GameSmashDash:
Originally posted by Apokalyptic:

The goal in mind doesn't work; I've tried that. When one part of the plan fails, other parts of the plan fall a part. I know how to put the parts together, adapting and actually dealing with players is another thing.

Labbing is the easy part, putting the song together and getting it to work properly is another thing. I'm good at training mode but fall flat at the actual play against an opponent part. Especially if it's a new fighter with an OP toolkit I don't understand.

I gotta say dude, if that's your response to my post this genre probably just isn't for you. Nothing wrong with enjoying the art, music, and community if you like it. Don't have to torture yourself playing fighters.
the one who choose to have no fun is you
Septon Jul 10 @ 5:11pm 
In the spirit fighting games are a lot like martial arts, you have to be focused, calm and collected. Self-control is mandatory. If all you can do is rage all over the place you better play anything else.
Originally posted by Ronin_019:
Choosing to have fun doesn't exist; there are specific conditions that trigger someone to have fun or not. I can't just magically over come my taste in what I find fun.
In the spirit fighting games are a lot like martial arts, you have to be focused, calm and collected. Self-control is mandatory. If all you can do is rage all over the place you better play anything else.
That's the thing; I've done martial arts and I have no problem with it; I generally don't have trouble with activities where I'm physically moving my body like running, jumping, kicking, punching, practicing specific moves that need to be done together, etc.

That same mindset isn't applied to a fighting game character because it's easier to be in zen when your body is moving.
ronin_019 Jul 11 @ 12:47pm 
Choosing to have fun doesn't exist; there are specific conditions that trigger someone to have fun or not. I can't just magically over come my taste in what I find fun.
it exist, you just can start taking the things in a different way that you find fun in first place, It's a matter of perspective.

for example, the first time i play this game i fought some guy way better than me, so i start to tea baging him and troll him, and then i laughed so hard when i beat him just doing basic combos that i learn at that moment and fishing his habits, sloppy funny ass fight
it exist, you just can start taking the things in a different way that you find fun in first place, It's a matter of perspective.

for example, the first time i play this game i fought some guy way better than me, so i start to tea baging him and troll him, and then i laughed so hard when i beat him just doing basic combos that i learn at that moment and fishing his habits, sloppy funny ass fight
That works for you but not for me. You understand the fundamentals and were able to win because of having better understanding over the fundamentals over your opponent.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Per page: 1530 50