Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom

Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom

View Stats:
Red May 16 @ 5:58pm
Content available for a limited time?
Not gonna ask for the decision to be reversed, but it's a shame to see new indie releases getting into the whole FOMO business. I wish I wasn't in such a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ situation when this game came out. I couldn't buy it back then but now that I can there's content I can no longer gain access to, as small as it might be, and that pretty much pushes me towards buying something else instead.

I've seen the dev take feedback related to gameplay mechanics, so I'd rather speak for anyone who finds content that's gone forever annoying and throw my 2 cents here. Maybe it's something that will happen more times in this game (seasonal hats?), maybe the dev will do this again in a future release too, who knows? But yeah, I hated this. A shame because the game looks super charming.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Matt.o  [developer] May 17 @ 12:01am 
We are definitely not going to do limited edition seasonal passes or loot boxes in the future, no worries.
We just wanted to generate some hype right at release as it’s a really important time window for the Steam algorithm, and as small devs we shoot many bullets in many directions.

We are sorry you couldn’t get the wishlist hat tho. There is currently no solution to get it back, but we could find a way to bring it back in the future
I was thinking of buying the game, but now I've kinda lost the appetite. Leaving content behind a limited time sale/event just seems off when its a singleplayer game. It's not as if you're going to be showing it off to anyone you meet ingame, or see someone with it and think "man, they're an early player" since it's a singleplayer game.
Alternatively just make it available through a dlc or "hat pack". That way if you bought the game early then you get it for free, but being late to the party doesn't mean you get locked out of it.

This is just my own opinion though, and I of course understand and respect why the devs did this to boost their game.
Last edited by Tornadostor; May 23 @ 10:52am
Red May 29 @ 2:23pm 
Originally posted by Matt.o:
We are definitely not going to do limited edition seasonal passes or loot boxes in the future, no worries.
We just wanted to generate some hype right at release as it’s a really important time window for the Steam algorithm, and as small devs we shoot many bullets in many directions.

We are sorry you couldn’t get the wishlist hat tho. There is currently no solution to get it back, but we could find a way to bring it back in the future

I understand the rush towards hooking people early into getting the game, especially when it comes to indie devs, but at the same time this particular tactic happens at the expense of the consumers in general (Future ones missing out on content forever). It's the kind of tactic a lot of us loathe when AAA publishers and devs use to push us towards buying their stuff regardless of the quality of their products, and is not like we're going to give other devs a pass just because they're indie.

I know I'm whining about something that's ultimately not that important, it's just ONE cosmetic item in the game, but I just hate getting a game only to realize that I'm missing out on content forever, whatever it might be, and I know I'm not alone with that (I have several friends who avoided certain games forever for the same reason).

If I can suggest something that MIGHT leave every party happy, it would be to:

1) Keep that hat as an exclusive item for X amount of time before officially adding it to the game so everyone else can have access to it.

2) Same thing, but make it a cheap DLC if you really have to.

3) Occasionally have a limited time event that can grant that item to anyone completing said event (But that would require you to activate and deactivate said event every X weeks or so). That way, you can make sure the game will see a rise in numbers whenever that event happens.
I am very disappointed in a game, especially an indie release, gatekeeping content from certain customers.
SmogBruh Jun 4 @ 8:21pm 
LMFAO at the entitlement
Red Jun 6 @ 4:29pm 
Originally posted by HedorahBruh:
LMFAO at the entitlement

I was going to argue about how I'm being pretty fair overall with my request and how I understand I'm not entitled to any content, just like how the dev is not entitled to my money if I say so, but then I saw your post history, and you're pretty much a jester farming account trying to get a reaction everywhere you can so yeah... I don't think you'll say anything in good faith, it's pointless to engage any further with you, so have fun talking to a wall or whatever.

(I do thank you for bumping my thread to the top of the discussion boards, tho!)
Last edited by Red; Jun 6 @ 4:30pm
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50