Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown

Mynt Jun 12 @ 6:16am
A Long Review of this Demo
First, I have three disclaimers:

I have not been paid or otherwise compensated for this review.

I have not played the previous Test Drive Unlimited titles, but I did watch videos and playthroughs.

This will be a long read.

I will try to make this post somewhat readable, but I can't guarantee it won't be a mess of things that I wanted to say about this demo.

Overall, I enjoyed my time with the demo. However, I did notice several issues.

Getting the largest issues out of the way first:

The always online requirement and netcode
The demo seems to be somewhat unstable when it comes to online functionality, however, it seems like this is a work-in-progress.
A much greater issue is the always online requirement.
If it persists, purchasing this game will be a no-go for me.
Ultimately, I just don't want this to be another The Crew.

The Graphics
I play on an RX 7800 XT and a Ryzen 5 7500F. On maxxed out settings at 2K resolution with FSR (this game only has FSR 2.0, why not 3.0?) on TAA I achieved a fairly stable 60 FPS. Some areas dropped that down to a choppy 40-45 FPS, but it was never unplayable.

Looking the way it does, it should not perform this badly, but it's a demo.

Frankly, compared to most realistic(!) AA and AAA racing games of the past, say, 10 years(?), the game does not look great. It has its moments. It can look great, especially at night, but generally, it's nothing special.
The character models and animations do not look up to date.
Reading some of the community posts, it seems the way this demo looks is close to the final product.

With that out of the way, let me address everything else this demo had to offer.

The World
Solar Crown's rendition of Hong Kong is genuinely gorgeous. The map is both large and detailed.
When I watched some of the gameplay footage a few months ago, I was worried that the roads would be far too wide, being able to fit 3 cars into one lane. Luckily, this is only partially the case. There are plenty of fun, tight roads and alleys and the game is not afraid of hosting races on them.
I enjoyed exploring, which was primarily driven by the cash, XP and crew rep pickups spread all over the map.
The parking garages are great and I'd like to see the game reference HK's car culture and its frequent use of said garages. Currently they're mostly empty.

However.

For one of the most densely populated territories on earth, it's incredibly empty. You basically don't see people out walking about the city. When you do see people, they're stationary and do nothing.
Traffic is mostly sparse, which helps with navigating the island quickly, but also breaks muh immersion. The traffic you do meet likes to make their tires screech while doing such extraordinary driving feats such as accelerating at a normal rate and turning left. Sometimes they just leave their lanes and go off-road. The taxis are particularly suicidal.
I've also noticed that, when you enter a highway, it's almost empty for the first few moments. Then you hit a lot of traffic, which then slowly decreases in volume.
Traffic is also not particularly diverse and, after talking to some friends who actually live in HK, has cars that would not make sense on HK roads. A Ford F-150, whether it has broken suspension/cut springs as the ones in the game do or not, is not something I'd expect to see in a territory as compact as Hong Kong. The Wuling vans apparently also aren't at all common in the urban areas, if they exist at all.
Speaking of things that you wouldn't expect to find in Hong Kong, according to my friends from Hong Kong: Most things are written in simplified Chinese when they should be written in traditional Chinese.
During my playtime, I saw nothing that points to you being able to buy a house - an important part of the TDU experience.
The Streets and Sharps, or, as I've come to immaturely call them, ♥♥♥♥♥ and Sharts, seem to matter very little when compared to their frequent appearance in marketing.
When it came to picking one, my decision was made easy. The first Shart you meet when you go Sharts HQ is the most stereotypical, obnoxious rich ♥♥♥♥. Why would I join them?

The Cars, Modifications and Racing
From the few cars I got to test drive, I got the impression that sounds are really quite good. The models seem to be good, with the exception of the 1965 VW Beetle, which just looks weird. The handling on a controller is decent, but still needs tuning. You can't catch a slide beyond a certain angle, as it just won't give you enough steering angle. Drifting is therefore quite challenging. This issue doesn't exist on a wheel.
The cockpit view is inconsistent between cars. The FOV seems to vary. In one car you might only see the steering wheel and parts of the rear-view mirror, in another you might see everything from the left side-view mirror to the shift knob.
Speaking of which, the framerate and detail of the mirrors is abysmal even on max settings. The shifting animation is Forza Horizon 5 levels of lazy. Your character grabs the lever for a second, doesn't move it anywhere, then puts the hand back on the steering wheel. At least go for the Assetto Corsa approach.
You can put your windows down, turn your lights and wipers on/off, put the E-brake on, use the indicators, put the roof down where applicable and change between radio stations, but, unfortunately, none of these actions have animations.
Modifications are Test Drive Limited™ and have a seemingly completely pointless rarity system. When you buy a car, you can configure from a selection of factory paint, interior colours/materials and rims. These options will have a slight and insignificant difference in pricing and, weirdly, rarities. The stuff you see in looter shooters or gacha games. Common, rare, epic, whatever. Why? It serves no purpose here. It's not somehow harder to get or more special. Did an executive see the system when their kid played Fortnite and thought "Fortnite has it and is popular, we need that as well"?
If you then want to modify your car, you go to a workshop. There, you can modify cosmetics and performance.
Cosmetics consists of a livery editor, a total of like 5 aftermarket wheels, each in 3 different colours, window tint and being able to change the interior to another factory option. The livery editor is the only way for you to change the paint of your vehicle, even between factory colours, and it costs you 30,000 currency each time. A 595 Abarth is 30k. You cannot paint your rims, which is bad.
Performance consists of generic power, torque and weight upgrades that do nothing to sound and tires, suspension and brakes. These upgrades have the same pointless rarity system. Better/different upgrades are unlocked at certain levels.
There is no in-depth tuning, you cannot change the stance of your car beyond some arbitrary suspension heights with the suspension upgrades.
These upgrades affect your Performance Rating or PR for short. You'll be familiar with the system if you've played a recent Gran Turismo or Forza title.
It seems to have replicated Forza Horizon 4's charming issue of making AWD superior to everything else.
It might also be a skill issue on my side, but the moment an AWD car, be it a TT RS or Delta Integrale, got past me in my Mustang of equal PR, it was nigh impossible to catch up unless one of the suicidal taxis decided to do its thing.
Either way, the races are actually decently challenging without me ever seeing a difficulty setting. They are also a pain in the ass to start, as all of them are always online and CANNOT BE DONE AGAINST AI BY CHOICE. Each time you start a race you are forced to sit through a 30 second waiting screen while the game looks for other players to join your race.
If you make a critical mistake, you can choose to abandon the race, but you cannot restart it immediately. So you abandon it and start the race again. Sit through that waiting screen again, for nobody to come.

The Rest
  • The economy feels well judged. Not too grindy and things aren't thrown your way for free at an exorbitant rate. Except for the price of the 2009 R35 GT-R. Does the person responsible for the pricing own one?
  • The photo mode is ass.
  • As mentioned above, the F-150s patrolling the streets all seem to have collapsed suspension.
  • When you turn off your engine, the gauge cluster and other screens stay illuminated, implying that the ignition is on. But the radio no longer works. Every car I've been in didn't need ignition or a running engine to have a working radio.
  • During heavy rain you literally CANNOT see out the windscreen while driving in one of the cockpit views.
  • The exhaust gas visual looks terrible.
  • There are audio pops or glitches occasionally. One I could reliably replicate happens when switching between certain views.
  • I somewhat doubt that a stock Alfa Romeo MiTo Quadrifoglio is capable of spitting flames. Also, the interior seems to be offset to the right?
  • The speed bumps make your car jump even at low speeds. It's like they're boxes, not semi-circles.
  • There is no wind noise when driving with open windows, regardless of speed. Might be intentional.
  • The game does not remember which controls preset I was on upon restart. Luckily it does remember the preset itself.
  • Please let us skip the cutscenes that you get when leaving your apartment or really anything involving your character with a toggle in the settings.
  • The road discovery system is inconsistent. Sometimes a 300 meter stretch of road gets marked as discovered by driving 3 meters down it, sometimes only a tiny segment gets discovered. The greatest crime? Roads aren't counted as discovered if you drove down them while test driving a car or while racing. Why.
  • A teensy tine itty bitty issue I forgot to mention earlier. Each and every car I could get into at a dealership is Left Hand Drive. In a place that famously drives on the left side of the road. I get it for some cars, where a RHD version wasn't available, but a Nissan 370Z? A Jaguar E-Type?
  • And seriously, what is wrong with the Beetle?

I hope this review is somewhat helpful. It ended up a tiny bit longer than I had originally planned and I probably forgot some things.
Last edited by Mynt; Jun 12 @ 6:17am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Alameer Jun 12 @ 8:26am 
Thank you for this review, it helped me make my decision, i think i will wait until the game is in a better state. :estusempty:
Thalinor Jun 12 @ 9:47am 
Appreciate the write-up and its refreshing to see someone who can write more than two letters. It's too bad we have a world filled with idiots who can barely function yet think they are special. They are special all right, just not in the way their parents told them.

Everything you said is true.
I agree with everything here but I just want to add a couple more things that bother me.

Repeating Bugs/Issues
  • The Solar Hotel has the same three cars stuck in the lobby since I first went there (not sure if this is intentional or not because the system might not be implimented yet, lmk).
  • I kept getting a visual bug where the lighting would break and would be replaced by some sort of fog which would make the whole map dark except some environment lights which are left on at daytime. Headlights do not work when this happens and I have to restart the game because I cannot see traffic cars in the void.
  • Multiple times I have been driving and suddenly the world in front of me just hasn't loaded yet and the game freezes for half a second while it loads in. I am running the game on a HDD, although not a particularly slow one, but I have never had this happen in any game before.

The Graphics
  • The game is very cpu-bound and will not be able to launch on console in its current state of optimization, so I have faith that it will see performance improvements eventually, but don't get your hopes up that it will happen before launch. I have a i5 8600k and a 3080ti, and I average only 30-40 fps on the LOWEST setting. Changing any graphics options does barely anything for me, except render distance which gives a 30% performance increase on low. Highly complex scenes such as the inside of the street clan bring my pc to its knees, hitting as low as 19 fps, and this time no graphic setting can improve that number.
  • The low render distance makes cars float without wheels once they are 50m away
  • The screenspace reflections are so poor in quality that you might as well turn them off and just use cubemaps because they at least provide a specular sharpness that the SSR does not, even on the highest setting.
  • DLSS and FSR do not improve performance and only serve to make the game look worse, at least in my case with my cpu bottleneck that I described above.
  • If you have played any other Nacon game with their in-house engine such as the WRC games or V-Rally, then you will recognize a similar look here. It's almost as if there is some artificial sharpness slider that is turned up on all of their games
  • The global illumination actually makes the game look worse at night IMO, but at day, its the only way to make trees and buildings cast shadows on themselves. With this on, I see weird light-bounced colors that shouldn't be showing up.
  • Your car's mirrors don't render in the shadows until you put the shadow quality on high.
  • SSAO seems like its actually being pathtraced(?), on low settings you can see the graininess of what looks like low-quality raytracing or pathtracing in the shadows at noon. There are no fake shadows or baked AO, so if you want any ambient occlusion at all, you have to leave this setting on, and you'll want to put it on medium or higher so it doesn't look so bad.
  • The wheels on your car have no motion blur when spinning
  • Car reflectors don't reflect
  • Changing the texture quality doesn't seem to actually change the quality of the textures.

Game Design Problems
  • There is no deadzone options in the game at all, so if you have joystick drift then you are ♥♥♥♥ out of luck
  • The game has voice chat on public, and open mic is the default. This needs to change before launch or else you will get a whole lobby full of people who have no idea they have a hotmic
  • The game has the same issue that forza does with turbo BOV sounds playing when you let off at low RPM.
  • I know you touched on this already but I would like to reiterate that the world, while beautiful, feels completely dead. The traffic is very sparce, and often times you will not see even a single soul. There is not a single person in any office window, shop, sidewalk, park, or anywhere. Of course this game is not going to compare to Sleeping Dogs in terms of the authenticity of the city and making it feel alive purely because of the scale of the world, the fact that it's a racing game, and because it already suffers from performance issues, but for one of the most densely populated areas in the world, it feels like there is nobody around.
  • Where the car's are displayed feels wrong. There is no Japanese motors, and the 370z is in the classic cars showroom, displayed next to two cars from ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ WORLD WAR 2, and the Alpine is in the luxury cars showroom despite being at least half the price of everything in there.
  • Not only does the upgrades system feel like its ripped straight out of Forza, with a rarity system tacked on to emulate Need for Speed, it just does not make any sense why your FIRST UPGRADE is a turbocharger. In any other game I have played, that is almost always the last and most expensive upgrade.
  • Continuing that last point, the progression here doesn't make much sense. The starting cars provide little variety, as they are all FR cars, with the exception of the Alpine, and they are much too fast to be a starting car. But also the difference between the 'slow' cars and the 'fast' cars is already too great.

The photo mode sucks.
  • There is no aperture setting or any form of exposure options
  • There is no shutter speed setting or any form of motion blur options
  • The blur that you get is low quality and does not look like lens blur at all
  • The focus distance is actually misnamed as focal distance which means something COMPLETELY different in a camera.
  • If you make the traffic cars or player cars visible, they are STILL MOVING while you are in photo mode.

• The only positive things I can say are that they allow you to take photos in the interior and you can move the camera quite far from the car.

The Physics
I just want to highlight some quirks of the physics model. Every single front-engined, RWD car (except the 370z for some odd reason) has this overpronounced oversteer effect that makes it very difficult to drive them. It is particularly noticeable between 80-180 kmh, where if you turn at all while on throttle, your car will drift (not as in controlled slide, more like how a boat drifts in a current) in the direction of the turn until you correct it. This is made worse by the very snappy steering on controller, which makes it way too easy to overcorrect into an unrecoverable slide. It's almost as if the cars handle like they are rear-engined like an old Porsche 911, except it slides too much on power, and understeers too much off power. The rain makes this problem much worse as well, and you are basically required to use traction control if you want to win any races against real people. As you mentioned in your review, the AWD cars feel like they have glue tires, even in the rain, and this presents a MASSIVE balance issue when the game launches.

My 5 Cents
The game is not worth anyone's time at the moment. The world is pretty good, but in every other aspect this game feels like it's playing catch-up with every other racing game out there. It still feels like it has a hint of TDU under there somewhere, but for a game that has been in development for at least 4 years, it is severely lacking. For this game to be worthy of consideration in my opinion, they would need to get all their artists and programmers just working on polish and improving the authenticity of the game, and making the cars and the world feel truly real.

My friend described this game best when he said it's like a mobile game from 2027.
Last edited by Captain Nugget; Jun 12 @ 2:45pm
Originally posted by Captain Nugget:

The Physics
I just want to highlight some quirks of the physics model. Every single front-engined, RWD car (except the 370z for some odd reason) has this overpronounced oversteer effect that makes it very difficult to drive them. It is particularly noticeable between 80-180 kmh, where if you turn at all while on throttle, your car will drift (not as in controlled slide, more like how a boat drifts in a current) in the direction of the turn until you correct it. This is made worse by the very snappy steering on controller, which makes it way too easy to overcorrect into an unrecoverable slide. It's almost as if the cars handle like they are rear-engined like an old Porsche 911, except it slides too much on power, and understeers too much off power. The rain makes this problem much worse as well, and you are basically required to use traction control if you want to win any races against real people. As you mentioned in your review, the AWD cars feel like they have glue tires, even in the rain, and this presents a MASSIVE balance issue when the game launches.

THANK YOU! This sums it up prefectly what I've been saying for days: driving the Mustang without aids is unreasonably difficult. The oversteer you mention is particularly evident at that speed range on long radius corners which you should be able to take on throttle with some understeer in the worst case scenario. But no, in this demo it's suddenly a snap of oversteer and any attempt at correcting it will just throw you to the other side. We're talking about a modern car with independent rear suspension, relatively long wheel base, and wide modern tyres: it definitely shouldn't behave like an old 911 on narrow vintage tyres.

I could forgive the graphics, the underutilized RPG experience, and the recycled models from TDU2. But crappy driving physics in a game that literally has "Drive" in its title? Hard pass...
Originally posted by Mynt:
Did an executive see the system when their kid played Fortnite and thought "Fortnite has it and is popular, we need that as well"?
Exactly what I thought! It has no place in a game like this.

Originally posted by Mynt:
The first Shart you meet when you go Sharts HQ is the most stereotypical, obnoxious rich ♥♥♥♥. Why would I join them?
They have better style and a hot indian chick :D
Captain Nugget, Mynt, appreciate your thoughts, guys, very well summed up.
Iria Jun 12 @ 5:38pm 
Lot's of fun, but looks horrendous.
Strayed Jun 12 @ 6:51pm 
Really not much more can add on here other than a few points noticed. Will say biggest concern that if this is close to a release version then the game needs arguably an extra full year of polish to address some issues. I want to like this game but in the current state its just a no go.

Adding onto a few things brought up:

Graphics
I'd say serviceable once you switch them from the default preset which is low, though there is definitely something odd going on with shadows like you've got a ghost spoiler floating above your car in some cases. Performance though is something that needs to be addressed as it feels like it is eating horrendous amounts of system resources for what it is and doing things like increasing graphics quality actually improved my performance.

The World
I like the area more than I thought I would. I was concerned the streets of Hong Kong would be far too tight and in some cases they are, but there's definitely some places worth exploring. I do find it silly though that outside say the German dealership its nothing but Ford Mustangs parked.

In regards to traffic though, what on Earth is going on? Inside the city can barely find anything at times but up in the hills in the country roads its almost complete gridlock? Seriously for those complaining about the lack of NPC cars go drive in the hills and you'll not be able to pass with the amount of cars there!

The main issue is that objects don't render far enough away as in you find yourself in situations driving down a road at high speed and you see a corner thinking you can cut it but just as you're about to thats when the game decide to load in bollards and fences that will slow you down, or in one case hilariously launch me outside the map as it spawned underneath my car while I was driving.

Opting into PvP races needs to be optional. Main reason for this is most races devolve into the following; wait close to a minute for people who never join and if they do join and decide to disconnect due to say they are losing it, kicks everyone out the race so then you have to start all over. Single player mode needs to be a thing so players can progress at their own pace and especially when online goes kaput.

Races
This kind of ties in with the online problem but to be frank, some are so short that you literally spend more time loading rather than racing. So far of the races I have tried none have been satisfying due to being too short and have frankly been a complete chore. AI also feels like they are glued to the track and don't inhabit a reality where physics exist, speaking of which:

Physics
The one word I'd use to describe this is "inconsistent" at best. Once I discovered how to adjust the driving assists I had a lot more fun with vehicles but it is insanely weird how vehicles handle at times where in some cases it feels like there is weight to them and then other times I feel like I am bouncing on the moon.

The other part is offroading, yeah this is no fun especially if you want to catch some air. You can approach a jump at the exact same angle and same speed each time and your vehicle will go in a wildly different direction. The other aspect is when driving along on gravel the surface suddenly transforms into sticky toffee pudding randomly causing you to wildly spinout of control. I was doing this in an offroad buggy for those who are interested.

UI
I honestly think the UI is a bit clunky. Its like it was laid out for mouse and keyboard but designed around working with a gamepad yet feels it succeeds at accommodating neither.

The best example can think of is if you are in the map menu and you want to change secondary missions being tracked you have a large list that you cannot filter into mission types. Its also not easy to filter objects on the map as you have to disable icons individually as opposed to clicking a button to show only this object type; so say I wanted to only navigate based on dealerships I'd have to keep dealer icons ticked and then individually disable everything else. Really need to look back on previous TDU games and see how they did it.

Another thing is that there are way too many menus and button presses to change something like a radio station.

Vehicles
I know its a demo and all but I felt the vehicle choice was quite lacking. I understand the fantasy in TDU is about showing off in supercars but I feel if going to have the tight streets of Hong Kong especially with daily commutators category its a missed opportunity to include vehicles like Hot Hatches. Smaller, more nimble, high performance vehicles could lead to some more entertaining races.
Maskerader Jun 12 @ 11:50pm 
Originally posted by Strayed:
I felt the vehicle choice was quite lacking.
I think it won't be an issue in the full game, the devs said there will be over a 100 cars.
Last edited by Maskerader; Jun 12 @ 11:50pm
Sherlok Jun 13 @ 4:29am 
Physics
The one word I'd use to describe this is "inconsistent" at best. Once I discovered how to adjust the driving assists I had a lot more fun with vehicles but it is insanely weird how vehicles handle at times where in some cases it feels like there is weight to them and then other times I feel like I am bouncing on the moon.

The other part is offroading, yeah this is no fun especially if you want to catch some air. You can approach a jump at the exact same angle and same speed each time and your vehicle will go in a wildly different direction. The other aspect is when driving along on gravel the surface suddenly transforms into sticky toffee pudding randomly causing you to wildly spinout of control. I was doing this in an offroad buggy for those who are interested.
I completely agree with your description of physics in this demo. "Inconsistent" is a best word for it. I just can't trust the car, especially off-road or in the rain. It looks like there is the some random generator which decides when car loose grip or decides to not turn.

There is one more problem connected to this: basically no vibro feedback on gamepad (I'm using an Xbox Series controller), so you never sure how close car to loosing the grip or spinning wheels. Surprisingly, there are support for the impulse triggers, but for me only the brakes feedback is worked (so I could disable the ABS and was in full control of the braking), there was no feedback from the acceleration or sliding at all, so I could only guess how much grip I had.
great write up and replies and mirrors pretty much spot on how i feel on the demo
coth Jun 13 @ 4:52am 
The map is both large
The map isn't large, though. That's what typical FH and NFS player would feel, as those maps are very small. But TDU 1 map was much much larger. One of final races was a circle around the map in a supercar. The race was taking 40 minutes at over 320 km/h.

With early cars it was about 25-30 minutes to run from one side of TDU 1 map to another.F H, NFS and this TDU 3 map is just around 6-7 minutes.

and detailed.
But it is indeed a decent map and very detailed, if speaking with comparison to FH, NFS and Crew maps.
Strayed Jun 13 @ 8:35am 
Originally posted by Maskerader:
I felt the vehicle choice was quite lacking.
I think it won't be an issue in the full game, the devs said there will be over a 100 cars.
My point was more along the lines could have picked things better and more fun for the demo. What I have seen it is worryingly skewed towards hypercars which are frankly cancer to race in streets.
Dumbledude Jun 14 @ 10:55am 
I wasn't too impressed with the demo honestly. It's not the full product, so I'll wait for it to fully release. Cars are nice, maps kind of small. Hope that it'll have at least 2 maps like TDU2. That had Ibiza and Hawaii. It reminds me a lot about TDU2. I noticed the character animations were stiff like the second. Car sounds are nice, the controlls are nice, cars handle the same as TDU2 with my controller as far as I can tell. What I'd really like to see is a big map expansion, or a whole other place to explore.

EDIT: Performance wise, it's not the best. my i9 and 4060ti drops below 60fps, but again, it's the demo. Not expecting that to be super polished, but I hope the full release will have much better optimizations.
Last edited by Dumbledude; Jun 14 @ 10:57am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Per page: 1530 50