FINAL FANTASY VI

FINAL FANTASY VI

View Stats:
FF6 is probably the worst designed Final Fantasy or RPG in the series
edit: To keep it short if you dont wanna read a wall of text.
Imagine if FF7 looked like this in battle. Thats what i hate
https://i.ibb.co/6snWGVz/2effeafw.png
The proportions is all gone. But FF7 on PS1 is not like this which is good.

But if you look at battle picture comparing "Sabin to Vargas". One is midget sprite, one is JPEG artwork. Something out of a weird unsettling Modigliani painting.

Hard to believe so many like this game? Or FF1-FF6 to begin with
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/H9N_yBacTcI/hqdefault.jpg

SPOILERS: But i also thought the suicide part of the game was insanely funny, because of how overdramatic and lame it looked. But when you try to be cinematic serious storytelling with bland pixels i guess it does that to a game
Last edited by Lars; Jun 24 @ 7:15am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
You training for mental gymnastic olympic, Lars? Your thread is insanely funny because of how overdramatic and lame you got over artistic choice of video game sprites. Hard to believe a grown man would whine about this. Like bro, get real. 🤣
Last edited by Taylor Swift's private jet; Jun 24 @ 7:22am
Lysamus Jun 24 @ 7:44am 
The FFVI sprites are actually pretty expressive for their time. They each have a range of animations and poses that allow them to effectively convey a range of emotions and actions. Chrono Trigger is the only game that leaps to mind as another title as or more expressive with its sprites for a 16 bit era RPG, and that released near the end of the SNES life cycle.

My guess is if they tried to translate the characters into the Amano art style in the battle screens (similar to how they rendered the monsters), their ability to animate would be diminished. This was also a non-issue back in the day as far as I could tell (FF games established this detailed monster vs chibi PC aesthetic over the course of its franchise, only breaking into proportional designs with FF7 partially and FF8 fully).
Lars Jun 24 @ 7:45am 
Originally posted by Taylor Swift's private jet:
You training for mental gymnastic olympic, Lars? Your thread is insanely funny because of how overdramatic and lame you got over artistic choice of video game sprites. Hard to believe a grown man would whine about this. Like bro, get real. 🤣

I do like your username though!
Lars Jun 24 @ 7:48am 
Originally posted by Lysamus:
The FFVI sprites are actually pretty expressive for their time. They each have a range of animations and poses that allow them to effectively convey a range of emotions and actions. Chrono Trigger is the only game that leaps to mind as another title as or more expressive with its sprites for a 16 bit era RPG, and that released near the end of the SNES life cycle.

My guess is if they tried to translate the characters into the Amano art style in the battle screens (similar to how they rendered the monsters), their ability to animate would be diminished. This was also a non-issue back in the day as far as I could tell (FF games established this detailed monster vs chibi PC aesthetic over the course of its franchise, only breaking into proportional designs with FF7 partially and FF8 fully).
I have heard people making argument about limitations issue.
Which i find nonsensical because you can always make it first person view. Or make it ambigious so you dont see akward sprites that doesnt represent humans when a JPEG enemy exists in realistic drawing?

Also there has been other games such as Phantasy Star 1-4. Or Shining Force which i consider my favorite old school RPG.

But i think they simply picked the design because its SQUARE. They roll with whatever even if it makes zero sense.

Off topic rant.
But one thing i dont like is the greedy rubbing stuff practice by Square. Where you cant even play the original game as they were, it always have to be a remaster or remake. It can never be the ORIGINAL for some reason. Take EA with Red Alert 1, you get the choice between Original or Remaster. Obviously people who are new to the series want to experience what the original game was like.

But Square says no, because they are Square. And if you pirate it then you are bad or something -_-
Last edited by Lars; Jun 24 @ 7:50am
Lysamus Jun 24 @ 11:05am 
I am suddenly reminded of the postage stamp resolution required to get Doom running on the SNES back in the day. A technical marvel it could run at all on that hardware, but those compromises . . .

Back on topic, ultimately there's no accounting for taste.

Back off topic, regarding game preservation, it's quite a topic, and not one in which Squenix is uniquely restrictive of old content. The only conclusion I've come to on the matter is there is no one-size-fits-all solution for the problem (Some companies ought to make legacy games available while others probably can't afford that labor or cost burden. Trademarks sometimes get in the way of game preservation and it's hard to imagine the correct way to handle those situations. And to be frank, some games aren't worth preserving and adding to the already massive repository of archived media. If I linked you a ROM to Surf Ninjas on the Game Gear, would you download it and play it?)

Should the original FFVI be made available? To that I ask which one? The Japanese original or the Ted Woosley NA translation? If only the Japanese original, should it be retranslated, or should they stick to the GBA translation? Maybe include all of them, with the option to select which "edition" of the game you're playing (as future updates started patching out some bugs from the original copies)? Would be nice, but seems like a significant cost for what is likely a low ROI given the aging playerbase who'd be interested in such a game.

I don't think the Pixel Remaster is perfect, but I do believe it's the best version of this game to date. The original SNES/Super Famicon cartridge game isn't as strong a game in comparison and only really serves academic interests today, like the study of gaming history (to which, if that's your goal, there are devices out there that can rip a single legal ROM file from your owned cartridge to access via emulation on your PC).
Last edited by Lysamus; Jun 24 @ 11:25am
Originally posted by Lysamus:
I am suddenly reminded of the postage stamp resolution required to get Doom running on the SNES back in the day. A technical marvel it could run at all on that hardware, but those compromises . . .

Back on topic, ultimately there's no accounting for taste.

Back off topic, regarding game preservation, it's quite a topic, and not one in which Squenix is uniquely restrictive of old content. The only conclusion I've come to on the matter is there is no one-size-fits-all solution for the problem (Some companies ought to make legacy games available while others probably can't afford that labor or cost burden. Trademarks sometimes get in the way of game preservation and it's hard to imagine the correct way to handle those situations. And to be frank, some games aren't worth preserving and adding to the already massive repository of archived media. If I linked you a ROM to Surf Ninjas on the Game Gear, would you download it and play it?)

Should the original FFVI be made available? To that I ask which one? The Japanese original or the Ted Woosley NA translation? If only the Japanese original, should it be retranslated, or should they stick to the GBA translation? Maybe include all of them, with the option to select which "edition" of the game you're playing (as future updates started patching out some bugs from the original copies)? Would be nice, but seems like a significant cost for what is likely a low ROI given the aging playerbase who'd be interested in such a game.

I don't think the Pixel Remaster is perfect, but I do believe it's the best version of this game to date. The original SNES/Super Famicon cartridge game isn't as strong a game in comparison and only really serves academic interests today, like the study of gaming history (to which, if that's your goal, there are devices out there that can rip a single legal ROM file from your owned cartridge to access via emulation on your PC).

I think you are a random gamer and have no say in what games should be preserved.
Lysamus Jun 24 @ 3:57pm 
I guess a Surf Ninjas callout was bound to strike a nerve one day. A stopped watch is right twice a day and all that . .

No one random gamer really should, which speaks to my main point -> there's no simple solution to the issue of game preservation. In absence of a universal answer, a case by case basis will have to do (and in the case of FFVI, I feel you don't need whichever version you consider "original" beyond academic interest).
Last edited by Lysamus; Jun 24 @ 4:01pm
It's funny that our resident troll is back claiming "just use a first person view" as if nearly ANY games existed with a first person view on the SNES. I can think of five - Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Faceball 2000, Super Noah's Ark, and parts of Jurassic Park. You could almost consider Starfox first person except that it's just behind first person.

Dude is again trolling this page wanting a game released in 1994 to be more like games released in 1999. Please stop feeding the troll.
Lysamus Jun 24 @ 7:32pm 
To be fair, there are a few cockpit levels in Starfox, but Starfox also required a supplementary FX chip to function on the SNES, so it was pretty extraordinary overall.
Originally posted by Lars:
even if it makes zero sense.
You're the one not making any sense, Lars. This is a nonissue. You're so idle that you keep creating fake problems in your head and then came here making it everyone's problem.
Originally posted by MenjoBleeko:
It's funny that our resident troll is back claiming "just use a first person view" as if nearly ANY games existed with a first person view on the SNES. I can think of five - Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Faceball 2000, Super Noah's Ark, and parts of Jurassic Park. You could almost consider Starfox first person except that it's just behind first person.

Dude is again trolling this page wanting a game released in 1994 to be more like games released in 1999. Please stop feeding the troll.

Technically, he could mean a "first person mode" like in the Dragon Quest games. Where in some of the earlier ones you don't see the heroes and only see the monsters, as if the heroes were looking at them. That would, technically, fulfil the conditions for first person view. It does not necessairly mean that you have to have a fully animated environment and/or monsters in it.

Also, quite a few Western RPG of that time and a bit earlier used a similar first person view for their dungeons. Just think about Bard's Tale or Dungeon Master, the first having first person view, grid based dungeons and portraits for combat and the latter having animated sprites in the grid based dungeon.

The game Arcana on the SNES also used a grid based first person view as did Shining in the Darkness on the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Anyway, the OP has his opinion on the stylistic choices in the game. I think they are wrong, but he is allowed to voice them here.
This is all a matter of personal preference, really. Personally, and it's funny how, I don't like FF7's field models because they literally look like legos made for babies that's too big to be swallowed. But never would I call the game "the worst-designed Final Fantasy or RPG in the series" because of it. That's a bold claim lol.
Originally posted by Dead Serious:
This is all a matter of personal preference, really. Personally, and it's funny how, I don't like FF7's field models because they literally look like legos made for babies that's too big to be swallowed. But never would I call the game "the worst-designed Final Fantasy or RPG in the series" because of it. That's a bold claim lol.

FF7 was a culture shock to me compared to FF6. I liked FF6 a lot. FF7 didn't have the same effect for me.
you know this game came out on SNES right
wtf did I just read?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 1530 50