FINAL FANTASY VI

FINAL FANTASY VI

View Stats:
Marvin! Mar 8, 2022 @ 1:18pm
I can't transform cursed shield into paladin shield
I've been playing with the cursed shield for a while, only taking it out to fight bosses (all the bosses in narshe, ancient castle, fanatics tower), to the point where Celes and Terra have all the magic spells in the game before Kefka's Tower. As I write this, I'm patiently grinding in the solitary island. Now Strago and Relm are finishing learning their spells, one AP at a time, and I can safely say I've been through more than 256 fights, not using Gogo.

I don't know what to do. Using the Cursed Shield is a chore, not getting the prize is even worse. I hate how buggy this game is
< >
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
Super Mar 8, 2022 @ 1:20pm 
This would be a new bug because I haven't heard of anyone having issues. Then again, no one has tried to "organically" uncurse the shield.

Why are you sure you have more than 256 fights with it?
Marvin! Mar 8, 2022 @ 1:27pm 
Originally posted by Supercanta:
This would be a new bug because I haven't heard of anyone having issues. Then again, no one has tried to "organically" uncurse the shield.

Why are you sure you have more than 256 fights with it?
Some of the magic, such as Ultima, Drain or Quake, don't have multipliers for learning the spell
Since I'm grinding in the solitary island, where most encounters give just 1 AP... Yeah
Feels Ranger Man Mar 8, 2022 @ 1:45pm 
I transformed the shield yesterday, had no issues myself.
SC_Nikki Mar 8, 2022 @ 1:51pm 
Originally posted by Feels Ranger Man:
Do you know if the battle count requirement is reset if you unequip and re-equip it on another character? Or the same one, for that matter?
sylardean Mar 8, 2022 @ 1:54pm 
Originally posted by SC_Nikki:
Do you know if the battle count requirement is reset if you unequip and re-equip it on another character? Or the same one, for that matter?

IF the game is truly a carbon copy of the GBA version code for things then YES! you CAN equip the shield on other characters, it won't reset the counter.
SC_Nikki Mar 8, 2022 @ 1:59pm 
Originally posted by sylardean:

IF the game is truly a carbon copy of the GBA version code for things then YES! you CAN equip the shield on other characters, it won't reset the counter.
But it did reset in the original version?
Veszerin Mar 8, 2022 @ 2:06pm 
Originally posted by sylardean:

It did not.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Cursed_Shield
SC_Nikki Mar 8, 2022 @ 2:08pm 
Originally posted by Veszerin:
It did not.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Cursed_Shield
Thanks!
Prince Mercury Mar 8, 2022 @ 2:16pm 

I took the shield off and on characters a bunch of times and got it in due time. 256 fights is really a lot. I made a beeline for Locke and the shield and I still had to grind having done most of the late-game quests.
ImperatorAeon Mar 8, 2022 @ 2:21pm 
I don’t know if you’re doing this, but equipping the character with the Cursed Shield with a Ribbon does mitigate a lot of the frustration that comes with trying to undo the curse. Now, whether or not this actually is a bug or just taking longer than expected, I can’t say because I haven’t finished the WoB in the Pixel Remaster yet.
Puzzlemint Mar 8, 2022 @ 2:44pm 
Originally posted by ImperatorAeon:
I don’t know if you’re doing this, but equipping the character with the Cursed Shield with a Ribbon does mitigate a lot of the frustration that comes with trying to undo the curse.

The Safety Bit as well -- it blocks the Death effect at the end of the Countdown, which I think is new to the Pixel Remaster. So Ribbon + Safety Bit negates all of the ailments inflicted by the Cursed Shield.
Dadalama Mar 8, 2022 @ 2:46pm 
You never have nearly as many battles as you think you do. I did it this time because it's the first time I was able to sit through that crap and... well the shields absorbs a bunch of stuff but I don't think it was worth it.
ImperatorAeon Mar 8, 2022 @ 2:48pm 
Originally posted by Puzzlemint:
Originally posted by ImperatorAeon:
I don’t know if you’re doing this, but equipping the character with the Cursed Shield with a Ribbon does mitigate a lot of the frustration that comes with trying to undo the curse.

The Safety Bit as well -- it blocks the Death effect at the end of the Countdown, which I think is new to the Pixel Remaster. So Ribbon + Safety Bit negates all of the ailments inflicted by the Cursed Shield.
Or a Memento Ring. It’s part of the reason why Relm is often the one most use to restore the Paladin Shield. Considering it’s such a powerful shield and can also double up on learning Ultima, I think it’s worth it.
Feels Ranger Man Mar 8, 2022 @ 2:56pm 

No it doesn't reset.
Nooneyouknow Mar 8, 2022 @ 3:01pm 
Only fights that give AP count. So any Veldt fights against enemies that don't award AP wouldn't have counted. Nor would any battles that just end with no rewards. The character with the shield also has to be alive at the end of each fight.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
Per page: 1530 50